• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#621 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Exactly.

The ban is effectively dead in the water one way or the other. July 1st means nothing.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#622 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Why should any business comply with the bylaw before the courts have rendered their decision?

The bylaw is valid until the court rules that it isn't. I don't think that too many businesses are willing to chance a $10K fine being overruled.

If the City decides to fight the case then there is another tactic that will be pursued. It is cleaner to have the court do its thing however.

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

...I don't think that too many businesses are willing to chance a $10K fine being overruled.

You mean the way the pot shops have paid the fines levied against them?

#624 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

You mean the way the pot shops have paid the fines levied against them?

Tell me my friend, which fine do you think that the City would more aggressively collect?!

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

No way. You can’t levy a fine when the bylaw behind the fine is before the courts and more than tax payers will expect compensation for their bag purchase if the courts kill the ban.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#626 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

My money is on the ban will stand, but the penalties and price fixing will be struck down

#627 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

My money is on the ban will stand, but the penalties and price fixing will be struck down

It will boil down to the interpretation of section 8 of the community charter in my opinion. Every other municipality who has looked at this seems to think that they don't have the authority to ban bags but it has never been tested to my knowledge.

Should note that the community charter is a BC act. Can't compare to cities in other provinces.

Edited by spanky123, 30 January 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Toronto killed its ban when the plastic bag folks launched a challenge. They also settled with the org behind closed doors.

I suspect CoV was prepared for this eventuality, but the optics of a legal challenge on the eve of an election are not good. A mayor can only say "it's before the courts" so many times.

Know it all.

#629 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

That is my sense as well.

#630 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Toronto, 2012:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ersed-1.1177902

Legal challenges

The city had been hit with a pair of legal challenges over the proposed bag ban in recent weeks, one from the Ontario Convenience Stores Association and the other from the Canadian Plastic Bag Association.

Toronto previously had a mandatory five-cent fee that retailers were required to charge customers for each plastic bag they were given.

But when an attempt was made in June to get rid of the so-called bag tax, councillors ended up voting in favour of placing a full ban on giving single-use plastic bags to consumers.

On Wednesday, Coun. Peter Milczyn tweeted that "David Shiner decrees bag ban banned," referring to the Willowdale councillor who originally moved the motion that created the bag ban.

Ford was among the members of council who predicted that the proposed bag ban would spark legal problems.

Torontonians are estimated to use 215 million plastic bags each year, which amounts to some 1,400 tonnes of plastic.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#631 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Toronto killed its ban when the plastic bag folks launched a challenge. They also settled with the org behind closed doors.

I suspect CoV was prepared for this eventuality, but the optics of a legal challenge on the eve of an election are not good. A mayor can only say "it's before the courts" so many times.

Dude, she has been using "before the courts" to kill Elsner discussions for 2 years!

Edited by spanky123, 30 January 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#632 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

Toronto needs a fresh look at fees or bans to reduce Torontonians’ use of plastic bags, disposable cups and coffee pods, says the parks and environment chair.

“Plastics in general are a real problem in our oceans and in lakes,” Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon said in an interview Friday. “We have waste diversion targets we have yet to reach, this is the way of the future, and there is no time like the present.”

McMahon and Councillor Mike Layton are hoping to get city staff to report on options “including, but not limited to, municipal fees and prohibitions” to reduce usage, or increase recycling, of single-use: plastic bags, hot beverage cups and lids, coffee pods, black plastics often used for takeout foods, plastic straws and cutlery, and takeout food containers — especially plastic or Styrofoam ones that can’t be recycled.

https://www.thestar....ment-chair.html

Toronto, 2018.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#633 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Dude, she has been using "before the courts" to kill Elsner discussions for 2 years!

She’s engaged on that issue quite a number of times, but stops when certain questions are posed. And that’s the way it should be.

On the bag ban she refuses to openly comment, and all we know is the City is weighing its options.

Know it all.

#634 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Council needs to watch this.

I'm going to start a movement to ban clothing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=elU32XNj8PM

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#635 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Looks like you already started.

#636 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:41 PM

Stop it’s burning my brain thinking about all nude council meetings .
  • rjag likes this

#637 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

So a recent study determined that 90% of the ocean's plastic comes from just 10 rivers.   All in Asia or Africa.  meanwhile the UK might ban plastic straws.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 06:22 AM.

#638 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

So a recent study determined that 90% of the ocean's plastic comes from just 10 rivers. All in Asia or Africa. meanwhile the UK might ban plastic straws.

Do you have a link to that? I'd like to read more about the study.

#639 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

Do you have a link to that? I'd like to read more about the study.

https://news.sky.com...oceans-11167581

Just 10 rivers are carrying 90% of the plastic entering the oceans, a study has found.

Two of them are in Africa - the Nile and the Niger - while the others are in Asia: the Indus, Ganges, Amur, Mekong, Pearl, Hai he, Yellow and Yangtze.

As well as being some of the world's longest rivers, they have big populations alongside them.

The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research in Leipzig, Germany, also said they tend to be in countries where waste control could be better.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 April 2018 - 09:04 AM.

• Mattjvd likes this

#640 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

The study in question...if you have a library card or university/college student number you should be able to access the full journal article.

https://pubs.acs.org...acs.est.7b02368

• Mattjvd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users