Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#641 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

looks like country grocer is hopping on the charging for bags bandwagon.. 5c for plastic 10c for paper,  starting earth day spotted signs up in the store this week.. sad they were one of the last few hold outs.. now it's pretty much just fairways left (with the few small independent grocery stores)

#642 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

... but a free “cloth” bag with a $25 purchase.

Either way, f that. Too bad they are giving up the five cent discount. That’s how I paid for Sloan tonight!

Matt.
  • Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

I was talking to a few retailers downtown who provided me with plastic bags during impromptu visits to their stores. They’re furious. They hope a legal challenge will kill the ban.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#644 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

I am saving all my plastic bags up so that I may return them to mother earth on Canada Day.

• sebberry likes this

#645 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

I was talking to a few retailers downtown who provided me with plastic bags during impromptu visits to their stores. They’re furious. They hope a legal challenge will kill the ban.

If it does I hope Chapters and Bolens continue asking if I want a bag. They never did before the potential for a bag ban came in and 90% of the time I go in to either I'm on my way home and have a backpack so I really don't need one.

#646 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

If it does I hope Chapters and Bolens continue asking if I want a bag. They never did before the potential for a bag ban came in and 90% of the time I go in to either I'm on my way home and have a backpack so I really don't need one.

How hard is it to say "I don't need a bag" even if they don't ask?

#647 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

How hard is it to say "I don't need a bag" even if they don't ask?

They always seem to do it while I'm paying and I always forget they don't ask. Chapters it might not be a big deal to just put the bag back I guess but at Bolens they tape the paper bag shut so they'd probably just throw it out anyway.

#648 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

What's so hard to say "I don't need a bag" when you hand them your stuff to ring up?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#649 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

What's so hard to say "I don't need a bag" when you hand them your stuff to ring up?

I always forget they don't ask.

#650 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

What so hard taking the item out of the bag?

#651 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

What so hard taking the item out of the bag?

And do what with the bag? At Chapters they can probably reuse it sure but Bolen Books tapes it shut and I'm guessing they would just recycle it there instead of me recycling it at home.

#652 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

See, I see this as a simple fix. You remember to say no bag please when you hand over your items and everyone that wants one continues to automatically get one.

When I do groceries my bags are usually in the bottom of the cart or basket, I make certain that I tell the cashier I have bags.

#653 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

I don't see why it needs to be an automatic thing though. Just add it with the typical cash exchange "Do you have a rewards card, would you like to sign up, would you like to donate to whatever charity, ok that'll be $_ would you like a bag today?"

#654 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

Because people are normally butting things into bags as they ring them in, not at the end of a transaction.

Places that charge for bags ask because they can't charge someone for something after the fact. If the bags free, then it's free and part of the service and the individual that does not want it should take the onus of saying "I don't need a bag" at the appropriate time to prevent getting one.

#655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

More of my tax dollars being well spent. This time it's a bribe to the citizens with our own money to help encourage propaganda.

...Love making videos? Want to help reduce plastic bag litter and waste in your community? Create a video to encourage the use of reusable bags in our community and win up to $1000!...

http://www.victoria....eo-contest.html

#656 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Can I make a video on 1000 and 1 ways to reuse plastic bags then how to recycle them .
Is this what she’s talking about ,how useful they are
Great idea .
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#657 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Can I make a video on 1000 and 1 ways to reuse plastic bags then how to recycle them .
Is this what she’s talking about ,how useful they are
Great idea .

Yes, you can make a video about plastic bag reuse and recycling.  Not for the contest obviously, but for the betterment of mankind.  Just put it on YouTube along with all the other videos about the same thing (although I don't think there are currently any videos with 1001 unique reuse ideas - that sounds like a lot of work).

It would be handy if the CRD recycling pickup would take plastic bags, packaged separately like they do with glass.

#658 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Yes, you can make a video about plastic bag reuse and recycling.  Not for the contest obviously, but for the betterment of mankind.  Just put it on YouTube along with all the other videos about the same thing (although I don't think there are currently any videos with 1001 unique reuse ideas - that sounds like a lot of work).

It would be handy if the CRD recycling pickup would take plastic bags, packaged separately like they do with glass.

Yes it would be handy if CRD would pick them up .
I do find it almost as easy to take them back to the grocery stores for their recycling bins .
I was very surprised to find a neighbor of mine had no idea that all major food stores took them back .
I put all frozen and plastic wrappings back in with my bags for recycling easy.

#659 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

As a kid my great aunt would put plastic grocery bags over my shoes and tie them around my ankles if I showed up without boots on a rainy day .
  • Nparker likes this

#660 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I do find it almost as easy to take them back to the grocery stores for their recycling bins .

But not quite.  The truck is already there, already picking up recycling in a well established program - a program that even deals with a special contaminant material (glass) already.

I just got trained up on always having a few cloth bags in the trunk.  Now I have to remember to take the bag-o-bags with me as well?  I already have a groaning large ziploc bag full of dead batteries under the sink that needs to go to the hardware store one day...  :mellow:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users