Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

You can always pull out a pen and turn it into a reusable plastic straw.

Ya, then next thing you know pens are banned.  And we have to go back to the (less-mighty) sword.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Ya, then next thing you know pens are banned.  And we have to go back to the (less-mighty) sword.  

Still use pens? Those are killing the planet plastic, plastic, plastic I use environmentally friendly pencils and sign all my documents with a blood sample.

#63 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Just ordered some paper straws, will report back.

Received my shipment today, tested one just now on an extra thick vanilla milkshake held up better from a suction point of view to start, however the paper straw towards the end became notably soggy and the receiving tip was starting to fail and collapse in addition to a notable waxy residue/taste in my mouth. How toxic is chinese wax? 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

How toxic is chinese wax? 

I doubt it's even wax.  You're probably going to die.  Send the Surfrider Foundation a bill for your upcoming funeral expenses.  Make sure it's a plastic coffin just to piss them off more.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

...How toxic is chinese wax? 

Hopefully, less deadly than the Chinese steel being used in the new JSB.

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

How toxic is chinese wax? 

What about the little kid who took a bite out of Mao at the wax museum?

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

File_000 (70).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Received my shipment today, tested one just now on an extra thick vanilla milkshake held up better from a suction point of view to start, however the paper straw towards the end became notably soggy and the receiving tip was starting to fail and collapse in addition to a notable waxy residue/taste in my mouth. How toxic is chinese wax? 

I remember using paper straws as a kid. They did have a limited time window before they started to go mushy.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#69 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

I remember using paper straws as a kid. They did have a limited time window before they started to go mushy.

In MY day, beverages were a reasonable 8 ounces, and weren't served in industrial-sized vats, or had the consistency of spackle.

• VicHockeyFan, tedward and mbjj like this

#70 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Must have been weird times before they invented the freezer. 

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

Plastic bags may soon be a thing of the past in Victoria.

Victoria City Council is considering a ban on the sale and distribution of plastic bags by Victoria businesses, and will be reviewing a draft bylaw by December. Businesses must first ask customers if they need a bag, and then charge 12 cents for a paper bag, or two dollars for a reusable one in the first draft of the law. Bags to package bulk food, prescriptions and dry cleaning are exempt. Businesses that charge less for a paper or reusable bags, that sell or provide plastic bags, or give any bag without first asking will be fined $100.

But the City doesn’t want to tackle this alone. Council is sending a letter to the CRD and neighbouring municipalities hoping for some consistency and regional support. A letter is also being sent to the provincial government.

http://www.vicnews.c...lastic-bag-ban/

Well, CoV wants to have the ban in place by January 2018.  Fat chance the others will go along by then.  Saanich might be the closest.

I don't think Langford has any intention of moving a ban forward.  So advantage Costco and Walmart in Langford.

#72 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Anyone seeing red when they read this BS
  • rjag and Midnightly like this

#73 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

^so Victoria city council is now expecting me to carry bags with me every time I am out?  Do they know how many times people just buy something on impulse without planning ahead of time?  Screw that!  Let me know if and when this bylaw takes effect, I will not be buying anything in the City of Victoria when that happens

I am glad to see there is zero crime, homeless issues, etc within the City of Victoria.  It must be nice to have all this extra time to ponder stupid bylaws like this

• rjag, sebberry, mbjj and 1 other like this

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

^so Victoria city council is now expecting me to carry bags with me every time I am out?  

Ya, it's a bit lame, right?  If I do not pre-plan a grocery visit, I can not carry all my stuff in paper bags.

Are we so lame in technology that we can honestly not make a biodegradable plastic bag?

I can see people also packing away extra plastic bags for produce and bulk goods to use as doggy doo bags now.  Grab you bag, pack in tomatoes, then throw a few extra bags into the bag before you tie it up.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 October 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#75 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Re straws..only had paper as a kid, worked well.

Agree with tjv, sometimes I am not planning to buy something and remember at the last minute, when I'm walking about and don't have a bag handy with me (like walking home from work).

Have been in many grocery stores in France that only offer bags you pay for. As you always have to pack your own, people will go through check-out, toss it back in grocery cart, then toss loose in their trunk. In the UK, there is a small charge for a bag. Lots of people buy one, so it doesn't really cut down on the quantity. If I bought something without having a bag and there was a small charge for one and I needed it for multiple items, I would probably buy one. Usually  now if I buy one or two items and they're small and I don't have a bag with me, I'll refuse one.

What is the plan for bags used for loose fruit and vegetables? Always used to be paper ones when I was a kid.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

That's the thing, right?  It's not just adding a charge for plastic bags, they are going all in and banning them.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 October 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

^so Victoria city council is now expecting me to carry bags with me every time I am out?  Do they know how many times people just buy something on impulse without planning ahead of time?...

Ya, it's a bit lame, right?  If I do not pre-plan a grocery visit, I can not carry all my stuff in paper bags...

I don't own a car so 99% of the time I walk to get my groceries, and because I have to carry everything home, I don't buy a lot at one time. I often spontaneously stop after work to pick up a few items and needless to say I don't keep a large supply of reusable shopping bags in my desk at the office. Perhaps Helps and Co will offer to supply me with free transportation to make my spur of the moment shopping trips more manageable. This plan is asinine, poorly thought-out and is the typical pandering to the base politics for which this council is famous.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, sebberry and 1 other like this

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

I might even be fine with it if they just set a January 2020 date.  I also don't think it's great to buy a book or a ream of paper and have to walk it home in January with no plastic bag.

• Midnightly likes this

#79 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I can see it now..."ok, I'm heading out, got my keys, my wallet, cell phone and my plastic bag"

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

I can see it now..."ok, I'm heading out, got my keys, my wallet, cell phone and my plastic bag"

Not plastic, reusable hemp.

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users