Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#861 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Ah, I see the Oak Bay ave one is in Oak bay and Gorge one is in Saanich. I mentally placed the municipal borders wrong. Stupid fractured city... sigh.

i agree there are many just on the edge of Victoria (another on on shelbourne street) the borders are not always easy to find the edge of it all flows together 

#862 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

They can't even enforce bylaw infractions by pot shops...

I disagree they can enforce it look at how Langford dealt with it .
They chose not to have it dealt with .
  • Nparker likes this

#863 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

"They" equals the City of Victoria.
  • Love the rock likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#864 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Quality Foods in Langford charged me $.03 for a plastic bag last week.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#865 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Country Grocer still gives me a nickel for each bag I bring in. Seems to be no limit. Today i packed my own groceries in five bags (two would have done, and if I had to pay it would have been one) and saved a quarter!

Matt.

#866 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

...Today i packed my own groceries in five bags...and saved a quarter!

20 more shopping trips like that and you'll have covered the cost of those 5 bags!

#867 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

These bags have paid for themselves a long time ago, it’s all gravy now.

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#868 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

These bags have paid for themselves a long time ago, it’s all gravy now.

Matt.

I’m not so sure. Are they in the car at all times, no matter if you are making a grocery run or not? If they are, they cost you money every mile.

Every extra 100 pounds of empty shopping bags reduces your fuel efficiency by 2%. So if you carry around 5,000 pounds of empty shopping bags your gas bill will be double. Plus that will be hard on your shock absorbers, ball joints etc.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 May 2018 - 04:53 AM.

• Cassidy likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#869 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

I paid the $0.05 for a "single-use" plastic bag at the Vic West Save on Foods for the first time in about a while. Their bags are a little more heavy duty now, thicker plastic, certainly makes them more practicle to use as garbage bags.

Edited by Mattjvd, 11 May 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#870 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

I’m not so sure. Are they in the car at all times, no matter if you are making a grocery run or not? If they are, they cost you money every mile.

Every extra 100 pounds of empty shopping bags reduces your fuel efficiency by 2%. So if you carry around 5,000 pounds of empty shopping bags your gas bill will be double. Plus that will be hard on your shock absorbers, ball joints etc.

That extra bite of dinner you had makes more of a difference :P.

#871 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

They are. When I get home, I unpack the bags, roll them up and put them in my shoe. When I leave the house next I am forced to remember my bags as I need my shoes. I grocery shop or bring groceries home from work nearly every day as we are bourgeoisie and shop on a whim.

I also drove around for a full week with 17” winter tires on steel rims in the back so I need all the bag savings I can get!

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#872 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

...I grocery shop or bring groceries home from work nearly every day as we are bourgeoisie and shop on a whim....

Not just bourgeoisie, but an enemy of Gaia since you drive a vehicle to purchase your groceries.  ;)

#873 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Salt Spring is shockingly terrible for walking or cycling unless you live right in one of the two villages.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#874 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

Now the City wants to ban straws and cups, and takeout containers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#875 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Victoria eyes ban on foam containers, plastic drinking straws

“Really, what the aim is overall is to create strategies and programs to minimize all single-use materials — straws, Styrofoam cups, takeaway food [containers], other packaging so that really we do get to a zero-waste circular economy where there is no garbage,” Lisa Helps said.

http://www.timescolo...raws-1.23309405

#876 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Now the City wants to ban straws and cups, and takeout containers.

What about plastic cutlery? Can't let that escape the noose!

Helps' nanny state, hard at work with your tax dollars.

#877 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

It’s pretty hard to know how you’d get to “no garbage”. Pretty sure that Amazon will be unable to ship you your new TV just loosely, free of packaging.

The government has not given us an option for recycling dog waste, diapers, in fact almost all plastics are not recyclable currently.

#878 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

So basically the city wants to turn me into a pack mule with all the shite I will have to carry in me to exist in the world... or I just won't buy that daily cup of coffee or do happy hour downtown a couple of times a week. No more shopping during my lunch hour. Especially in nice weather.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 May 2018 - 07:00 AM.

• Midnightly likes this

#879 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

So basically the city wants to turn me into a pack mule with all the shite I will have to carry in me to exist in the world... or I just won't buy that daily cup of coffee or do happy hour downtown a couple of times a week. No more shopping during my lunch hour. Especially in nice weather.

You can always shop in Saanich, Esquimalt or Oak Bay.

#880 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

I work downtown and bus in and out from the Selkirk area. So I guess that means going home and getting in my car?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users