Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

I say "keep the plastic, get rid of Helps"!

As long as several other Council members are taken out as well.

• rjag likes this

#102 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Looking at the picture of the Surfrider women with their bags, it appears that all I have to do is show up at council chambers with a sharps container full of used needles and council will get to work banning open drug use around town?

If only I knew it would have been that easy! 

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

2. Don't feed your children plastic.

How else am I supposed to recycle.

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

How else am I supposed to recycle.

Then don't complain about the side effects.

#105 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

:mad:

#106 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

I can't ask?  :mad:  :mad:

(2) A Business may provide a Checkout Bag to a customer only if: 

(a) the customer is first asked whether he or she needs a bag; .....................

.......... https://victoria.civ... Regulation.PDF

• Nparker likes this

#107 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

How do you pay 12 cents, we dont have pennies anymore and some folks still use cash?

And I bet they will hire folks to try and catch business out in order to 'educate' them....

• todd likes this

#108 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

Well you round down if it's 12 cents, so it would only be 10 cents. 

Of course, none of this makes any sense.

• Nparker and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

How do you pay 12 cents, we dont have pennies anymore and some folks still use cash?

And I bet they will hire folks to try and catch business out in order to 'educate' them....

12 cents is added to your overall bill, then normal rounding rules are in place.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#110 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

12 cents is added to your overall bill, then normal rounding rules are in place.

Why not just 10¢ or 15¢?  :teacher:

#111 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

what if I went in just to buy a plastic bag?....and needed a bag to carry it home?

• Nparker, todd and mbjj like this

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

what if I went in just to buy a plastic bag?....and needed a bag to carry it home?

I often go in and just "buy" produce bags.  I fill one produce bag with about 10 other produce bags, and nothing else.  Then I use one twist tie.   When I get to the checkout, they have no cost for the bags on their whirlywheel thingy, and on the scale it still barely registers any weight.  So I walk out with 11 bags, no charge.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

• lanforod and mbjj like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

I often go in and just "buy" produce bags...

I think might do this a lot between now and when the commandment becomes law. Then I will make a trip down to the beach at Dallas Road after dark and dump them all into the ocean.

Edit: Anyone care to join me in this act of rebellion?

Edited by Nparker, 29 October 2017 - 03:35 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, sebberry and mbjj like this

#114 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Edit: Anyone care to join me in this act of rebellion?

Actually, I was thinking you get a whole bunch printed up with the CoV and Surfrider logos on them.  Minimum order on custom bag printing is probably around 500 or so, so you'd have lots to leave strategically on rooftops ahead of a wind storm. 

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

I'm setting up a storefront that does not sell bags, but rents them on very long leases (50 years), to get around the loophole.

• Nparker, Love the rock and mbjj like this

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

I'm setting up a storefront that does not sell bags, but rents them on very long leases (50 years), to get around the loophole.

How long is the warranty on the bag good for?

#117 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Ok bear with me here while I refer to an experience that I had at King's Market in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in San Juan County. 

I went to King's Market and bought some groceries where they proceeded to put the groceries in a really thick plastic bag. Thicker than what I was used to getting at a grocery store. 

When I mentioned my surprise to the clerk, she informed me that single use bags were banned by the county and in order to comply they had to provide bags that were thicker than the ones that were banned.

Here is question #2 from the FAQ page that the county puts out regarding the ban.    

2. What plastic bags are prohibited? Those considered “single-use” and “carryout” are prohibited. This includes all plastic bags less than 2.25 mils (0.00225 inches) thick provided at checkout or point-ofsale. Those not allowed are the typical plastic bags with handles constructed of thin plastic (less than 2.25 mils thick). Bags constructed of durable plastic (equal to or thicker than 2.25 mils) are considered reusable and are allowed.

http://sanjuanco.com...nter/View/11652

So I wander back to our boat pondering just how long this puppy is going to last in the land fill before it surrenders to the decomposition process. 

I didn't make any sense.

• Nparker likes this

#118 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

^ I love those types of bags, but only because they're still fairly rare. If those were what every grocery store gave out, it'd be a problem.

Vons, the California chain, sells thick bags like that. I think 10c each or something, but quite big. Not t-shirt bags.

#119 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ok bear with me here while I refer to an experience that I had at King's Market in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in San Juan County. 

I went to King's Market and bought some groceries where they proceeded to put the groceries in a really thick plastic bag. Thicker than what I was used to getting at a grocery store. 

When I mentioned my surprise to the clerk, she informed me that single use bags were banned by the county and in order to comply they had to provide bags that were thicker than the ones that were banned.

Ah, I was wondering why the bags were so thick at Kings this summer.  Sparky, its off topic but go further up the hill to Market Place its a lot cheaper

• Sparky likes this

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

Can you take those reusable Thrifty shopping bags into the US, or do they confiscate them at the border?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)