Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1181 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

No-car weekdays would have a much greater environmental impact. Local governments should ban all "single-person cars" Monday-Friday each week. There are sufficient transportation alternatives which, although less convenient, will be much better for the planet. People just need to get used to it.

That seems impractical.  But with a small logical leap you could arrive at a scheme whereby not all of the private cars could be on the road the same day.  You could use the plate number to index this.  Almost like what days you can water your lawn and what days you can't.

It's done elsewhere in this world.  And people did get used to it.

#1182 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

That seems impractical...

So is my having to remember to take a reusable bag with me every single time I leave home* in case I make a purchase while I am out. 

* I don't own a car and the majority of shopping is done in pedestrian mode

#1183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

...Almost like what days you can water your lawn and what days you can't....

Don't even get me started on the insanity of our local watering restrictions.  :whyme:

#1184 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

So is my having to remember to take a reusable bag with me every single time I leave home* in case I make a purchase while I am out. 

* I don't own a car and the majority of shopping is done in pedestrian mode

Anti-congestion and plastic bags aren't the same thing.

I'm not saying you can't tie every issue in this world to your convenience, I'm saying you shouldn't.

#1185 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Anti-congestion and plastic bags aren't the same thing...

No congestion if more people walked.

#1186 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

No congestion if more people walked.

Well there you go, if it's not your day to drive your private vehicle then you can walk (or bike or take the bus - any of those radically reduce congestion.)

#1187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

I think I'd prefer a cap & trade system. Since I don't own a car I get other people's "single-use" bag credits. No car should equal about 10,000 bags I should think.

• rjag likes this

#1188 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

I think I'd prefer a cap & trade system. Since I don't own a car I get other people's "single-use" bag credits. No car should equal about 10,000 bags I should think.

Cap & trade is just the government telling you what you can't do.  Sucks to that.

#1189 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Cap & trade is just the government telling you what you can't do...

As opposed to the government telling me I can't have a plastic bag at the grocery store checkout?

#1190 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

As opposed to the government telling me I can't have a plastic bag at the grocery store checkout?

Whoosh.

#1191 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

t-shirt bags case of 900 only $ 33.24 (0.04/Bag) and eligible for prime!

Want it Friday, July 13!? Order it in the next 2 hours and 22 minutes and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout!

Thank You!

• Nparker likes this

#1192 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Anti-congestion and plastic bags aren't the same thing.

I'm not saying you can't tie every issue in this world to your convenience, I'm saying you shouldn't.

Psychologically speaking, I wonder why you feel the need to exercise so much control over the day to day lives of other humans? Who hurt you?
  • jonny, Cassidy and Cats4Hire like this

#1193 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

t-shirt bags case of 900 only $ 33.24 (0.04/Bag) and eligible for prime!

Want it Friday, July 13!? Order it in the next 2 hours and 22 minutes and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout!

Thank You!

Hmmm, can we get a custom print with "F*** YOU" instead?  That would be funny not only to use but also if any did manage to escape into the wild. :D

• Nparker likes this

#1194 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Psychologically speaking, I wonder why you feel the need to exercise so much control over the day to day lives of other humans? Who hurt you?

Ad hominem is a bit lazy, in my opinion.

To the matter at hand, pointing out that not every issue has to be conflated down to an individual's convenience has no correlation to control.

#1195 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hmmm, can we get a custom print with "F*** YOU" instead?  That would be funny not only to use but also if any did manage to escape into the wild. :D

Can't find an "F*** You" plastic bag you can add a plastic sticker if you want to add emphasis: https://www.redbubbl...c-bag?p=sticker

• DustMagnet likes this

#1196 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

It's just a matter of time before they ban baby bibs such as this one from a rack in a Saanich Macdonalds.

The politicians need to pick on someone their own size, and think about the babies.   :wave:  :wave:  :wave:

IMG_9384.JPG

#1197 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

i haven't seen bibs at mcdonalds for a few years. I think they already scrapped that voluntarily.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#1198 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm, can we get a custom print with "F*** YOU" instead?  That would be funny not only to use but also if any did manage to escape into the wild. :DNah,

Nah, I get them custom printed with VibrantVictoria.ca say 10,000 bags and leave them all over town in piles of 50.  Mike might like the attention haha

Anyone want one ton of bags  http://mbschina.manu...Plastic-Bag.htm

There's about 172,000 bags per ton, and we could put piles for all those people entering into Victoria say at Foul Bay, Tolmie, etc, etc

Edited by tjv, 12 July 2018 - 03:06 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1199 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

i haven't seen bibs at mcdonalds for a few years. I think they already scrapped that voluntarily.

The MacDonalds at Saanich Road and Oak has them hanging at a dispenser on the wall as of today.

• lanforod and mbjj like this

#1200 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

I noticed that big hole of new construction on McClure is totally lined with plastic. I wonder if that can be reused?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users