Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1201 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

i haven't seen bibs at mcdonalds for a few years. 

They are also popular with the old folks.  :banana:

• lanforod likes this

#1202 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

I did the eco friendly thing tonight and walked to the bank to deposit a cheque, then stopped at the store on the way home for a jar of jam I forgot during my earlier shop.  I do not recommend doing this.  No bag for the jamb, and now I need a shower.  I should have driven.

• Cassidy likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1203 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

I was at the Dollarama recently. No one brought a bag, no one bought a bag...everyone carried out armloads of random stuff.

#1204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

Literally, in their arms?  :confused:

#1205 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

Bought $200 of clothes yesterday at Mayfair, lots of good sales btw.

Asked the lady about how they are managing with the bag issue, she said they arent going to charge customers, instead they discount the price of the garment by the $.10 and then charge the $.10 for the big paper garment bag.

Its an extra step and costs their staff a few extra moments but its a big F.U. to CoV, especially in light of shoplifting is up a lot in the last year with all the new shelters around that area....her comment was, 'so much effort enabling drug use has increased the number of addicts around Mayfair, its not a downtown thing anymore'

• lanforod, todd and Midnightly like this

#1206 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

I did the same last week - dropped $200 on clothes at one store at Mayfair. 

However had an annoying experience at the check out. The only bag option I got was to buy the store's cloth bag for $1. No option for me to even pay for a paper bag. Soured the shopping experience since I don't often spend that much at one time. 

I had planned on looking around the mall further but instead just went back to my car with my arm full of clothes and left.

What made it more annoying as on my way to my car I saw other shoppers with store branded PAPER bags. 

#1207 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

^I would have left the clothes on the counter and walked away.  I think there also could be a possible safety concern, if there was enough clothes that requires both hands now suddenly its hard to open doors, and what if you tripped your hands aren't free to protect your face.  

So now I am expected to walk around 24/7 with a reusable bag in case I buy something unexpected?

#1208 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

...So now I am expected to walk around 24/7 with a reusable bag in case I buy something unexpected?

From the perspective of the brain trusts on CoV council, yes.

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#1209 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

Literally, in their arms?  :confused:

Yes, both customers ahead of me had multiple items they were trying to carry.  I'm not sure what sort of bags they have at Dollarama now as I walked out with three items and no bag.

#1210 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Things that aren't subject to the bag prohibition:

Exemptions

4 (1) Section 3 does not apply to Small Paper Bags or bags used to:

(a) package loose bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, or candy;

(b) package loose small hardware items such as nails and bolts;

© contain or wrap frozen foods, meat, poultry, or fish, whether pre-packaged or not;

(d) wrap flowers or potted plants;

(e) protect prepared foods or bakery goods that are not pre-packaged;

(f) contain prescription drugs received from a pharmacy;

(g) transport live fish;

(h) protect linens, bedding, or other similar large items that cannot easily fit in a Reusable Bag;

(i) protect newspapers or other printed material intended to be left at the customer’s residence or place of business; or

(j) protect clothes after professional laundering or dry cleaning.

I really don't get this.  This whole ban is for the protection of the planet.  We're told that we need to deal with the inconvenience of giving up single-use bags to save the whales.  Why not subject the above to the same inconvenience?  Go all the way, not this half-assed approach.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1211 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

Things that aren't subject to the bag prohibition:

Exemptions
4 (1) Section 3 does not apply to Small Paper Bags or bags used to:
(a) package loose bulk items such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, or candy;
(b) package loose small hardware items such as nails and bolts;
© contain or wrap frozen foods, meat, poultry, or fish, whether pre-packaged or not;

(d) wrap flowers or potted plants;
(e) protect prepared foods or bakery goods that are not pre-packaged;
(f) contain prescription drugs received from a pharmacy;
(g) transport live fish;
(h) protect linens, bedding, or other similar large items that cannot easily fit in a Reusable Bag;
(i) protect newspapers or other printed material intended to be left at the customer’s residence or place of business; or
(j) protect clothes after professional laundering or dry cleaning.

I really don't get this. This whole ban is for the protection of the planet. We're told that we need to deal with the inconvenience of giving up single-use bags to save the whales. Why not subject the above to the same inconvenience? Go all the way, not this half-assed approach.

It's perfectly simple. It's for the planet but actually it's for the convenience of the city. It bans just some plastic bags, allows a bunch of others and makes you have to pay more if you want a paper bag. Pure common sense. :)

Edited by rmpeers, 19 July 2018 - 04:48 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1212 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

National Post article...

https://nationalpost... - Top Stories)

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1213 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

...the Helmholtz report noted that some of the lowest levels of floating plastic were in the drainage basin for the Great Lakes — an area that includes Cleveland, Chicago and more than nine million Canadians. The takeaway here is that ...the conscientious choices of Western consumers are a rounding error in the global problem of marine debris...46 per cent of the plastic forming the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is composed of abandoned fishing gear, or “ghost gear"...U.K. government research has concluded that plastic bag bans have resulted in alternatives that have far more resource-intensive life cycles...

https://nationalpost... - Top Stories)

#1214 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

We buy goldfish occasionally. Not sure how we would bring them home if not in a plastic bag?

#1215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

We buy goldfish occasionally. Not sure how we would bring them home if not in a plastic bag?

Plastic bags are exempt from the ban for the transportation of live fish. That halibut you just paid $20/pound for at Thrifty Foods in James Bay, not so much.

• todd likes this

#1216 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

Houston, we have a problem:

From the Victoria Checkout Bag Regulation:

"Paper Bag" means a bag made out of paper and containing at least 40% of post consumer recycled paper content, and displays the words "Recyclable" and "made from

40% post-consumer recycled content" or other applicable amount on the outside of the bag, but does not include a Small Paper Bag;

This paper bag from Save-On Foods does not comply with the above.  Who do I voice my concerns of crimes against the environment to?

Attached Images

• IMG_20180721_095215.jpg

#1217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

I was at Fairways yesterday watching several seniors struggling with heavy reusable bags. What was once loaded into six or seven lighter bags is now fitted into four much larger reusable bags. Stores making these bags available are currently offering only one size and for some folks a larger bag even half full is still quite heavy.

My mum is indifferent towards the bag ban but I see her quietly struggling with these bags as well.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1218 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

I was at Fairways yesterday watching several seniors struggling with heavy reusable bags. What was once loaded into six or seven lighter bags is now fitted into four much larger reusable bags. Stores making these bags available are currently offering only one size and for some folks a larger bag even half full is still quite heavy.

My mum is indifferent towards the bag ban but I see her quietly struggling with these bags as well.

i have noticed that also.. they tend to overload the bags because they are reusable making them much heavier..i have a few freezer ones that zip shut and they always overfill them so i can't get them zipped.. the whole point of them is to zip shut to keep cold stuff cold

#1219 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

If you don't bring your own bags, Wellburn's only offers handle-less paper bags. These are almost impossible to carry when they are full if you have to walk any distance. I suppose some of those people who previously walked to get their groceries might now take their car or a cab. These additional vehicle trips aught to be great for the environment.

#1220 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

^reminds me when I was a kid, they didn't have handles on the paper bags then and no plastic bags were available.  No made a fuss then

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users