Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
1364 replies to this topic

#1361 Nparker

Nparker
  • 20,689 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

Banning "single use" plastic bags is low hanging fruit. Meanwhile the federal government is in the process of expanding gas pipelines. Which do you think has the greater environmental impact?

#1362 N E Body

N E Body
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

You want to solve the problem on this planet with plastic bags?............Educate the public on recycling. Have the government run TV commercials and radio spots highlighting all the various wonderful ways plastic bags are recycled.   The idea that the plastic bag being something we must rid ourselves of is just another Lie. It's a fictitious ideology.

One trip to any mens washroom should be enough to tell you that education is an uphill battle.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#1363 tjv

tjv
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

Banning "single use" plastic bags is low hanging fruit. Meanwhile the federal government is in the process of expanding gas pipelines. Which do you think has the greater environmental impact?

I don't think you can compare the two, everyone needs fuel in their lives from their cars, lawnmowers, the delivery trucks that move product to the stores, to the freight trains & freighters that move mass product.  Its part of our lives

Plastic bags not so much

Not saying I agree with the plastic bag ban, I think its stupid.  I am not likely to walk around with reusable bags when shopping and it pisses me off when they expect me to pay 5 cents for a plastic bag after spending money in a store.  Its just another reason to shop online frankly (with a diesel truck burning fuel to make the delivery)

Edited by tjv, 17 November 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1364 rjag

rjag
  • 4,252 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

One trip to any mens washroom should be enough to tell you that education is an uphill battle.

HAHAHAHA in my earlier life nearly 40 years ago I had a summer job as a Janitor at the OB Marina. 4AM-Noon....one of the early morning jobs was to clean the washrooms and the showers...trust me the mens washrooms were always a damn sight cleaner than the womens...

• Matt R. likes this

#1365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 44,477 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Only businesses in the Victoria Municipality "Can" be fined for giving out free bags. That rule currently does not effect any other municipality.

That being said, just as the city does not have by-law officers fining people for smoking in parks, they most certainly will not have by-law officers hanging out in stores watching to see if business owners are giving out bags.

Like all bylaw infractions (or most, anyways), the process will be complaint driven. If a business gives out a free bag and someone notices, then files a formal complaint, they'll send bylaw out to talk to the operator.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.