Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1361 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,692 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

Banning "single use" plastic bags is low hanging fruit. Meanwhile the federal government is in the process of expanding gas pipelines. Which do you think has the greater environmental impact?
  • todd likes this

#1362 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

You want to solve the problem on this planet with plastic bags?............Educate the public on recycling. Have the government run TV commercials and radio spots highlighting all the various wonderful ways plastic bags are recycled.   The idea that the plastic bag being something we must rid ourselves of is just another Lie. It's a fictitious ideology.

One trip to any mens washroom should be enough to tell you that education is an uphill battle.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#1363 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

Banning "single use" plastic bags is low hanging fruit. Meanwhile the federal government is in the process of expanding gas pipelines. Which do you think has the greater environmental impact?

I don't think you can compare the two, everyone needs fuel in their lives from their cars, lawnmowers, the delivery trucks that move product to the stores, to the freight trains & freighters that move mass product.  Its part of our lives

Plastic bags not so much

Not saying I agree with the plastic bag ban, I think its stupid.  I am not likely to walk around with reusable bags when shopping and it pisses me off when they expect me to pay 5 cents for a plastic bag after spending money in a store.  Its just another reason to shop online frankly (with a diesel truck burning fuel to make the delivery)

Edited by tjv, 17 November 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1364 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:21 AM

One trip to any mens washroom should be enough to tell you that education is an uphill battle.

HAHAHAHA in my earlier life nearly 40 years ago I had a summer job as a Janitor at the OB Marina. 4AM-Noon....one of the early morning jobs was to clean the washrooms and the showers...trust me the mens washrooms were always a damn sight cleaner than the womens...

• Matt R. likes this

#1365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Only businesses in the Victoria Municipality "Can" be fined for giving out free bags. That rule currently does not effect any other municipality.

That being said, just as the city does not have by-law officers fining people for smoking in parks, they most certainly will not have by-law officers hanging out in stores watching to see if business owners are giving out bags.

Like all bylaw infractions (or most, anyways), the process will be complaint driven. If a business gives out a free bag and someone notices, then files a formal complaint, they'll send bylaw out to talk to the operator.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1366 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

If I want to leave out some food donations for City garbage collectors to pick up next week, what am I going to leave it in? My precious plastic grocery bags are being pressed into service hiding Christmas present in the closet, as I need my "reusable" ones for more shopping. Usually I would leave my purchases in their bags until I wrapped them, but realized that wasn't going to work this year. I noticed when I was in the Gap at Mayfair not a single customer had brought their own bag, and when I was at Hillside, no one in Marshalls had one either and I didn't see anyone walking in from their cars with any kind of bag.

#1367 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

Hillside Marshalls still gives plastic bags as its in Saanich. Everthing in Mayfair offers paper bags for a charge. Just go to the Bay. Make a purchase, ask for their largest bag for .15 and you got a bag for the rest of your shopping as well.
  • GaryRanson likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,692 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Hillside Marshalls still gives plastic bags as its in Saanich...

I thought Hillside was in Victoria.

#1369 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

it is

#1370 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

yeah it's pretty much right on the boarder. I always thought it was in Saanich too. https://maps.crd.bc..../?viewer=public

#1371 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hillside Marshalls still gives plastic bags as its in Saanich. Everthing in Mayfair offers paper bags for a charge. Just go to the Bay. Make a purchase, ask for their largest bag for .15 and you got a bag for the rest of your shopping as well.

They're probably still using up their existing supply, which they're permitted to do.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1372 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

They're probably still using up their existing supply, which they're permitted to do.

Is there a time limit on that? My business is in Victoria and we have been continuing to give out plastic bags. Due to the nature of the business, we only need to give out a bag or 2 a week. Have enough bags to last years at that rate!

#1373 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

Is there a time limit on that? My business is in Victoria and we have been continuing to give out plastic bags. Due to the nature of the business, we only need to give out a bag or 2 a week. Have enough bags to last years at that rate!

Yes, but I don't remember when it is. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1374 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,692 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

Businesses have until January 1, 2019 to use up remaining checkout bag stock if purchased before December 14, 2017.  Businesses are not required to charge a fee when using up this existing stock.  For compliance purposes, businesses should ensure they can demonstrate that the stock they are using up was purchased before December 14, 2017.

https://www.victoria...ss-q-and-a.html

#1375 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

Oh, well, I guess we will be scofflaws come January!

• Nparker likes this

#1376 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,692 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Oh, well, I guess we will be scofflaws come January!

You'll have to let us know if the plastic bag police come for you in the new year.

• todd likes this

#1377 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Maybe the Hillside Marshalls thinks it's in Saanich, and doesn't actually realize it's in Victoria?

#1378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,692 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

Maybe the Hillside Marshalls thinks it's in Saanich, and doesn't actually realize it's in Victoria?

It does face the Saanich border.

#1379 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Esquimalt considering a ban on plastic bags:
https://www.cheknews...council-513834/
  • Brantastic likes this

#1380 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

I would be happier with a plastic bag ban if it first was applied to manufacturers and not the public.  Ban bread or rice in plastic bags before restricting the public use of the bags.

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users