Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#121 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Can you take those reusable Thrifty shopping bags into the US, or do they confiscate them at the border?

Yes "two ply plastic sheets" are OK.

#122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

At Thrifty's today, I saw one of their reusable bags discarded in the parking lot.  It'll be in the ocean soon. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#123 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

At Thrifty's today, I saw one of their reusable bags discarded in the parking lot.  It'll be in the ocean soon. 

Did you not pick it up Sebberry  :confused:?

• vortoozo likes this

#124 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

So why not put a $.05 return-it deposit on bags...make it a positive experience and way easier to manage than collecting a couple hundred pop cans every day

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:57 PM

Did you not pick it up Sebberry  :confused:?

I didn't need a bag for what I was buying.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#126 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

:whyme:

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

It's good to know that plastic bags know how to stay within the boundaries of each municipality.

https://www.vicnews....lastic-bag-ban/

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

It's good to know that plastic bags know how to stay within the boundaries of each municipality.

https://www.vicnews....lastic-bag-ban/

Oak Bay not moving forward with plastic bag ban

The committee of the whole was unanimous in wanting to hold off until results are known

So they will wait a year or two to see what happens in Victoria.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 12:33 PM.

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

I love Nils Jensen's quote:

...Mayor Nils Jensen suggested a more wait-and-see approach. “Whether or not it is going to be successful is something we may want to allow Victoria to find out before we go down the road of looking at this. I talked to Mayor Lisa Helps and the city will have a review a year or two years after the bylaw goes in. That will allow us to monitor their success, or lack there of, before we embark. It is very kind of them to be the regional guinea pigs...

You're welcome Oak Bay.  :wacko:

• VicHockeyFan, todd and Daveyboy like this

#130 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

I've taken to eating sandwiches from Thrifty's for lunch.  They come in these plastic clam shell packages.  Far more satisfying to throw away than plastic bags :)

• Nparker likes this

#131 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Most businesses that I have spoken with plan to ignore whatever ban/minimum fees Victoria comes up with. Smart businesspeople know that charging a customer $2 for a reusable bag will only drive them down the street to another muni where they aren't insulted.

• Midnightly likes this

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Superstore’s zero bag policy went down like a sack of coal thrown into a lake. Anyone remember that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Ya, and the smaller retailers will be fine if they ignore the rules.  But the grocery stores will have to adapt.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#134 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

Ya, and the smaller retailers will be fine if they ignore the rules.  But the grocery stores will have to adapt.

What I was told by a 'grocery store' is that they would challenge any decision in court. The fear is that they would lose a lot of business to competitors.

• Nparker, todd and Midnightly like this

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

If I was, say, The Market, I sure would defy the ban and wait for court.
  • Nparker likes this

#136 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Anyone ask Jeremy how does my wife buy 3-4 pairs of shoes from the Bay along with other sundry items if they cant supply the oversize bags. She cant leave the shoe boxes behind as thats integral in either returns or keeping them in good condition.

Just the other week we went suit shopping for me, bought a new suit, and a few shirts plus sundry items....how the heck does he think I am going to carry all that home in the rain on the bus (that last part of course is simply dramatic license!!!)

Does he have a suggestion for how a retailer can package bulk items like these to protect them from the elements as well as simply being able to carry them? Its not just groceries!!!

• sebberry and mbjj like this

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

A friend I know that runs a computer store asked the same thing.  You send a guy out with 6 accessories in plastic cases or cardboard boxes, and he is supposed to carry them in a paper bag?

#138 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

A friend I know that runs a computer store asked the same thing.  You send a guy out with 6 accessories in plastic cases or cardboard boxes, and he is supposed to carry them in a paper bag?

And that is why stores will defy the ban. 

• Nparker and todd like this

#139 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

No, he's supposed to bring his Thrifty's bag.  

The computer store needs to supply a cardboard box to carry everything in and help the customer to their car.

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

...The computer store needs to supply a cardboard box to carry everything in and help the customer to their car bike/skateboard/ foot-powered scooter/ little red wagon.

There, fixed that for you.

• rjag, sebberry and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users