Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1401 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:19 AM

Yeah... sorry you can't argue a literal definition against a politically motivated one.

That statement in itself is "Politically Correct" 

Political correctness is what it is........"Thought Control" with the goal of eliminating freedom of speech and freedom of expression.  Always has been, always will be.

That's just how it is.

You either support such a thing, or you don't. 

#1402 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

Go grab yourself a dictionary and quit making **** up.

• shoeflack, nagel and Cats4Hire like this

#1403 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:29 PM

That's just how it is.

You either support such a thing, or you don't.

🙄 aren't you trying to silence a differing opinion with your own commentary? Saying "that's just how it is" doesn't make it so. Well, it doesn't make it so for anyone else but you that is.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 06 December 2018 - 12:30 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1404 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

aren't you trying to silence a differing opinion with your own commentary? Saying "that's just how it is" doesn't make it so. Well, it doesn't make it so for anyone else but you that is.

Not at all,

Trust me I am one of the  the biggest advocates of Free expression and Free Speech around. 

I  was accurately defining political correctness,, but from a logical, analytical standpoint, and not a personal one.

If you want to support something for what it actually is, or believe it to be something else is completely up to you. 

If you want to see a person who likes to "Silence" a differing opinion on the VV forum,  just scroll a short distance up to see the one who is known to  swear at other contributors, mocking them, make fun of them, and launch into personal attacks on them. Their is your silencer. You can always tell these kinds because they don't debate the subject matter or topic of the thread, but instead they debate one who posts in the thread. Which then instantly throws a subject matter of the thread off topic. The key is to simply ignore those who do that as if they do not even exist.

Moving on now to the plastic bag topic.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 06 December 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#1405 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

If you want to see a person who likes to "Silence" a differing opinion on the VV forum,  just scroll a short distance up to see the one who is known to  swear at other contributors, mocking them, make fun of them, and launch into personal attacks on them. Their is your silencer. You can always tell these kinds because they don't debate the subject matter or topic of the thread, but instead they debate one who posts in the thread. Which then instantly throws a subject matter of the thread off topic. The key is to simply ignore those who do that as if they do not even exist.

No, it wasn't at all that well thought out on my part. You're giving me far more credit than I possibly deserve.

I wish I though as deeply about your posts as you're implying I do ... but I don't.

I was just telling you to quit making **** up and then posting it as a fact ... a somewhat repetitious habit you should probably try to shake.

#1406 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

https://www.timescol...Iq58uvDgZnCThEU

Victoria is looking to transition the community to zero waste over the next 40 years.

really?! this is a priority that the city should be spending money on? zero waste? are they planning on banning disposable diapers and wipes?

#1407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

The future is indifferent to the political goals of today, but 40 years is a nice round number that gives politicians a noble pursuit without ever having to deliver.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1408 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

The future is indifferent to the political goals of today, but 40 years is a nice round number that gives politicians a noble pursuit without ever having to deliver.

Yup, it gets them bonus points for the next election without being held accountable

#1409 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:38 AM

https://www.timescol...Iq58uvDgZnCThEU

Victoria is looking to transition the community to zero waste over the next 40 years.

really?! this is a priority that the city should be spending money on? zero waste? are they planning on banning disposable diapers and wipes?

What will women do with their monthly trash, lol. My husband does a lot of tinkering on cars and always has oily rags and paper towels, bits and pieces of junk off of cars and woodworking. He's not going to go all over the place trying to get rid of it all.

#1410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

What should be of an immediate concern is taxation and fees the government will try to pry from homeowners who heat their homes with anything other than electricity or renewable energy (wind, solar, etc). The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is already sounding the alarm as we forfeit 42% of our incomes to various levels of government and they’re hungry for more.

Meanwhile four weeks of severe protesting in Paris over Macron’s removal of a tax applied to the wealthy while introducing new carbon taxes on gasoline has that government preparing to back off. Even police are joining these protests raising the possibility of a military deployment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1411 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

Meanwhile four weeks of severe protesting in Paris over Macron’s removal of a tax applied to the wealthy while introducing new carbon taxes on gasoline has that government preparing to back off. Even police are joining these protests raising the possibility of a military deployment.

I think it is about a number of other issues as well.  Generally just anti-globalist.  The movement is also spreading into the Netherlands.  Looks like it could be the beginning of a European Spring

#1412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

Yes, it's multi-faceted for sure.

Know it all.

#1413 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

Ah great just what we need. Kiddo is off to France for two weeks in March! Can we delay the riots until the end of May?

Matt.

#1414 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Saanich is banning plastic bags Jan 1 2020 https://www.cheknews...bag-ban-522731/

#1415 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

And the madness spreads.

• Midnightly likes this

#1416 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:51 AM

And the madness spreads.

at this rate i'll have to go out to langford to get my plastic bag fix..

• mbjj likes this

#1417 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

I wish they'd stop referring to them as "single-use" bags. What is really single use is every Glad bag I put my garbage in. The plastic grocery bags I use time and time again. Some are so old they came from Thriftys.

• Nparker, Midnightly and FogPub like this

#1418 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

My currently dilemma is what to do for the T-C book drive.  I used to load up a couple of the "many use" grocery bags with books, and drop them off... but now, I don't know.  Do I just free toss books into the back of the car and let the volunteers shovel them out?  Load up boxes into nigh-immovable bricks and let the volunteers face back injuries trying to get them out?

#1419 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

I put out some bottles for the Boy Scout bottle drive the other day. I just put them out loose as I had nothing else to put them in. Before I used to use a handy plastic bag with handles.

#1420 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

My currently dilemma is what to do for the T-C book drive.  I used to load up a couple of the "many use" grocery bags with books, and drop them off... but now, I don't know.  Do I just free toss books into the back of the car and let the volunteers shovel them out?  Load up boxes into nigh-immovable bricks and let the volunteers face back injuries trying to get them out?

Stores will happily sell you single use bags in bulk!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users