Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1501 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:32 PM

Styrofoam of course .Do you know it’s common practice in Japan to put each individual piece of fruit you buy in its own singular plastic bag when shopping.
Heaven forbid two or more apples share the same plastic bag .

Yet Tokyo has very clean streets and yet no trash cans.

#1502 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

Japan
Strictly enforced recycling laws . A culture who does not litter .Few outside trash bins and they seldom eat food on the streets . So maybe banning plastic bags isn’t the right answer.

#1503 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

I use my paper bags for my recycling.  What will I use when those are banned?

In 2024 the only bags allowed in the CoV will be bicycle panniers. 

• todd likes this

#1504 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

^ shhh.

Now City council will be writing letters to Japan!

#1505 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

Japan
Strictly enforced recycling laws . A culture who does not litter .Few outside trash bins and they seldom eat food on the streets . So maybe banning plastic bags isn’t the right answer.

The no trash cans is more anti-terrorism thing. Also while we’re on the topic they don’t wear sunglasses but they love single use surgical masks.

Edited by todd, 18 April 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#1506 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

^ shhh.
Now City council will be writing letters to Japan!

Maybe all of council will sign up for whale wars should be wrapping the whales in wax coated paper.

#1507 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

As unbridled capitalism takes advantage of the ever expanding plastic bag ban, and sees pretty much every major grocery store in the core now charging at least 5 cents for a plastic bag whether they operate in a municipality with a by-law in place or not, I find myself now looking for the cheapest plastic bag to determine where I grocery shop.

Looking relatively close to home, I've discovered that Quality Foods in View Royal only charges 5 cents for their plastic bags, and that it's a beautiful, super clean grocery store with decent prices to boot (as all Quality Foods on the Island tend to be).

COV will eventually charge $2.00 for a single use plastic bag, and I usually need around 4 bags.

Will I continue to shop at Quality Foods in View Royal and spend 20 cents on 4 bags ... or will I EVER shop in the COV again, and spend $8.00 on 4 bags?

Not difficult math for the average consumer to figure out.

As might be expected, Langford is the only municipality on record as saying they're not currently interested in, or considering pursuing a plastic bag ban. I wonder if the grocery stores out there charge 5 cents for bags in the absence of a Langford municipal by-law?

It would be a stretch to drive out there to avoid paying five cents for a bag though ... although I might consider it down the road ... just on principal!

• Midnightly likes this

#1508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:05 AM

I think it has more to do with not wanting to implement a ban in one municipality while stores in others provide free plastic bags. It’s bad corporate culture in a small region, so I’d say this has more to do with politics than capitalism.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1509 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

...As might be expected, Langford is the only municipality on record as saying they're not currently interested in, or considering pursuing a plastic bag ban...

I imagine that eventually the bag ban will be taken up by the CRD.

#1510 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

I imagine that eventually the bag ban will be taken up by the CRD.

Consumers are free to vote with their wallets and choose not to shop at stores that provide them free or discounted bags. I don't see why the Government needs to get involved.

Edited by spanky123, 24 April 2019 - 07:54 AM.

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#1511 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

...I don't see why the Government needs to get involved.

No government ever needed to get involved in this issue in the first place, but since they have, it seems inevitable that the CRD will eventually take up the "cause" to create consistency across the region.

#1512 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

Went to Fairfield BC Liquor yesterday to buy a 6 pack of the spiked Root Beer as thats the only store that had them. 

Didnt take my bag in because it was a 6 pack...discovered that the tins arent being bundled together anymore so had to pay $.25 for a paper bag...the casheir said that most tin packs are being phased out to singles...he also noted that they are selling less tins as a result...so now now bags and all loose...

#1513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:04 AM

unintended result of anti 6-pack ring lobby.
  • rjag likes this

#1514 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

They sell packs of can in boxes too, don't they?

EDIT: Forget the cloth bag, take this everywhere you go.

il_794xN.811380032_l6ph.jpg

Edited by DustMagnet, 24 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

• rjag, todd and jasmineshinga like this

#1515 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Went to Fairfield BC Liquor yesterday to buy a 6 pack of the spiked Root Beer as thats the only store that had them. 

Didnt take my bag in because it was a 6 pack...discovered that the tins arent being bundled together anymore so had to pay $.25 for a paper bag...the casheir said that most tin packs are being phased out to singles...he also noted that they are selling less tins as a result...so now now bags and all loose...

Odd. Most cans I'm seeing, particularly craft beers, are converting to the solid Can Clip system instead.

#1516 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

Odd. Most cans I'm seeing, particularly craft beers, are converting to the solid Can Clip system instead.

They also seem to be switching to plastic wrap labels instead of printed labels on the can itself. Ironically using more plastic than before
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1517 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

I think it has more to do with not wanting to implement a ban in one municipality while stores in others provide free plastic bags. It’s bad corporate culture in a small region, so I’d say this has more to do with politics than capitalism.

Are you proposing that the Quality Foods in View Royal will eventually charge $2.00 per plastic bag (in the absence of a View Royal by-law) simply because they want to be good corporate citizens and match the $2.00 per bag being legislated in the COV?

I don't think I'd buy that premise for a dollar.

#1518 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

They also seem to be switching to plastic wrap labels instead of printed labels on the can itself. Ironically using more plastic than before

We're gonna have to trim the "bag" from the title of this thread, since no one can tell the difference between a shopping bag and any other plastic anyway.

#1519 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

^actually since there are proposals on the radar to ban straws, cutlery, etc...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1520 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

We're gonna have to trim the "bag" from the title of this thread, since no one can tell the difference between a shopping bag and any other plastic anyway.

You think sea turtles can tell the difference?
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users