Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1541 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Car ownership has zero correlation with the amount of new bags being produced.

You can also leave on lights when you're not at home, or turn them off.

Or keep the water running when you're brushing your teeth, or not.

Every choice is independent of the other.

#1542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

I wish I could have taken a photo (I was driving) but I saw a reusable bag being blown down a street like a tumbleweed. It’ll take a while for it to get to the ocean but it was well on its way.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Car ownership has zero correlation with the amount of new bags being produced....

"Single use" bags have zero correlation with climate change, but that's the bill of goods we are being sold.

#1544 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

"Single use" bags have zero correlation with climate change, but that's the bill of goods we are being sold.

I thought the bag ban was about plastics in the oceans not climate change.  Is the suggestion that plastics in the oceans is contributing to change?

#1545 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

That's patently untrue. It takes energy to create and transport bags. It takes energy to recycle bags (when that's even possible). And certainly burning bags for energy does not have a positive impact.

Fewer bags being distributed at point of sale = fewer bags being made, transported & disposed of.

#1546 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

I wish I could have taken a photo (I was driving) but I saw a reusable bag being blown down a street like a tumbleweed. It’ll take a while for it to get to the ocean but it was well on its way.

I frequently toodle around on google maps looking at english villages my ancestor came from. I saw a large reusable grocery bag in the middle of the road the other day in England and had a good chuckle over it.

Edited by mbjj, 16 May 2019 - 03:43 PM.

#1547 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

That's patently untrue. It takes energy to create and transport bags. 

right.  so carrying (relatively heavy) reusable bags in your car at all times "just in case" burns more energy than not having any bags on board.  and just using plastic bags supplied by the store to bring groceries home once a week.  if you are going to count the rather insignificant energy used by bag delivery trucks you have to apply a similar argument to reusable bags being driven around all the time and not used often.

also:

This is a huge amount. But it's actually a pretty small percentage of the total amount of plastic we throw away: 31.8 million tons annually. And this total is still smaller than the amount of food waste we throw away — 36.4 million tons per year.

In other words, we throw away ten times as much food as plastic bags. If we care about reducing garbage, fixating on the huge amount of food waste might make more sense.

https://www.vox.com/...ags-environment

When it comes to greenhouse gases, they're once again dramatically less important than the products we buy and put inside them.

In 2002, when considering a tax on plastic bags, the Australian government conducted one of the most detailed studiesof their lifetime environmental costs. They calculated that an average bag has .48 megajoules (MJ) of energy embodied in it — that is, .48 MJ of energy went into producing the plastic polymer, manufacturing the bag, and transporting the various inputs to make it all possible. More energy means more greenhouse gas emissions.

For comparison, making a one-liter plastic bottle — the kind used to hold water, juice, or soda — requires 3.4 MJ. A can of corn requires about 12.82 MJ. A single order of french fries uses up about 3.7 MJ, and a quarter-pound hamburger about 19.88 MJ.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• Midnightly likes this

#1548 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

Consuming less of anything, when done in a sufficient volume, has social & environmental benefits.

BC Hydro has been encouraging people to turn down the thermostat at night for years.

It used to be normal to leave the water running when people brushed their teeth.

As a society we have made great strides in these areas.

There's no reason we can't keep making incremental improvements to our consumption.

#1549 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:18 AM

why would we turn the water off while brushing our teeth from October to May when in those months we are doing the equivalent by the millions of gallons spilling over the dam wall?

#1550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:19 AM

if people would forego one pet or one new car purchase they’d save the environmental footprint of a million plastic bags. doesn’t that make more sense?

#1551 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

It would be great if people conserved in more ways than one. It's not either/or.

#1552 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

It would be great if people conserved in more ways than one. It's not either/or.

How long is a piece of string? I’m sure if you asked everyone would respond that they have made changes and are conserving in their own way... it really comes down to whose yardstick you measure it by.

If you asked David Suzuki how he conserves it would be a different answer from George Bush and yet Bush has less of a Carbon footprint than many of these climate prophets and yet many of the climate acolytes worship Lord Suzuki and ignore his personal excesses

Edited by rjag, 17 May 2019 - 08:21 PM.

#1553 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

No kids, no car, no single-detached home in the suburbs. I don't worry too much about my carbon footprint. Which reminds me, I need to go turn on my bathroom tap...I will be brushing my teeth in about 15 minutes and I like the water to be just the right temperature for rinsing.

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#1554 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

I thought the bag ban was about plastics in the oceans not climate change. Is the suggestion that plastics in the oceans is contributing to change?

Didn't it turn out that the bag ban was not about fighting climate change but about some logistical challenge the City was having?
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#1555 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

The energy to create a reusable bag equals 28 traditional plastic bags. Many of these bags are also laden with plastic themselves, and as with all things, have a limited shelf life and need to be replaced depending on how often they’re used.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1556 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

why conserve toothbrushing water though?   it's either going to spill into your sink or it's going to spill over the dam if you turn the water off while brushing.  save wear and tear on your sink valve taps by just doing one on/off cycle per brush instead of two

#1557 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

We experience drought conditions every summer and many Island communities go on some sort of water restriction every year.

#1558 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

including our community for no reason at all.
  • Nparker likes this

#1559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

...many Island communities go on some sort of water restriction every year.

including our community for no reason at all.

Not quite no reason. Watering restrictions seem to translate into higher usage rates each year to make up for any revenue shortfalls.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1560 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

And why didn’t you take a photo Mike? It was because you actually didn’t have anything to photograph.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users