todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

I do question how healthy the wax is?

#1764 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:43 PM

I still despise everything the Mango Menace stands for, but I must admit I loathe paper straws.

• todd likes this

#1765 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

I would rather have my straw blowout then the groceries.

#1766 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

Are reusable straws allowed in restaurants currently under health regulations? .....you can’t inspect the inside.

Edited by todd, 21 July 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#1767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

Are reusable straws allowed in restaurants currently under health regulations? ...

I saw packages of reusable straws at WINNERS in Tillicum today. I suppose you could always carry some of these whenever you leave home. Handy for beverages and emergency tracheostomies.

• todd likes this

#1768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

The City of Victoria appears to have finally scrubbed its website of the plastic bag ban.

The bag ban has been replaced with a page titled "Reducing single-use plastic bags." Note that the City is still claiming 17 million plastic bags were kept from the landfill, etc., but the court found the City could not quantify what the actual impact from the bag ban was or would be.

https://www.victoria...astic-bags.html

Victoria embraces reusable bags
Less than one year after the City of Victoria’s Checkout Bag Bylaw came into effect Victorian’s have adopted more sustainable habits by embracing reusable shopping bags as the new normal.

Victorians care deeply about this issue and have told us that single-use plastic bags do not align with their values.

Even though the B.C. Court of Appeal ruled in favour of the plastics industry and struck down the City’s Bylaw, we can stay on the right track and keep using our reusable bags!

With the support of the community and the commitment of our businesses, we have kept 17 million plastic bags out of the community, village centres, parks and beaches – bags that otherwise would end up as litter or take up space in the landfill.

What does the Court ruling mean for businesses?
The BC Court of Appeal struck down the City of Victoria’s Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw, meaning that for the time being the City’s Bylaw is of no force and effect.

The City of Victoria is reviewing its options as it continues efforts to phase out single-use items and eliminate unnecessary waste.

The ruling does not mean businesses have to change their practices. City staff have visited over 200 Victoria businesses and observed that 97% of businesses have successfully stopped distributing single-use plastic checkout bags.

Similar checkout bag regulations remain in place in other Canadian jurisdictions and the Government of Canada plans to ban harmful single-use plastics as early as 2021.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1769 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

this tc letter is pretty good

https://www.timescol...evil-1.23891247
  • rjag, sebberry and GaryRanson like this

#1770 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:26 AM

More of my local government's time being well-spent.

Victoria city councillors will decide in early September whether to appeal a B.C. court decision striking down the city’s bylaw banning plastic bags. Councillors on Thursday asked city solicitor Tom Zworski for a report on the advisability of an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada...

https://www.timescol...ules-1.23896799

So "single use" plastic bags are now a constitutional matter?

...Meanwhile, the province is seeking feedback on how best to ban, reduce and recycle plastics...The federal government has also announced it is planning a national ban on single-use plastic bags...

https://www.timescol...ules-1.23896799

If both the provincial and federal governments are working on stricter plastic management regulations, why does the CoV think it needs to duplicate those efforts?  Just fix the damn roads already.  :mad:

• rjag, jonny, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#1771 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

My wife and I recently host an event where we needed to provide a lot of disposable cups. We're both pretty eco-conscious, so we looked into compostable plastic cups as opposed to the standard plastic cups.

Did you know that it's almost impossible to find a facility in the province of BC that can properly handle a compostable plastic cup, whereas almost every recycling facility in the province can and does handle regular plastic cups. Apparently the composting process for a corn cup is so intense that very few facilities can generate the heat required to break them down.

We went with the regular plastic cups.

Now, we also did the wooden utensils and paper straws, and that was all great (great for bonfire kindling!). But it got me thinking. As more of these eco-friendly products are introduced, do municipalities actually have the infrastructure to properly recycle/compost these products? Or is it really just for show?

• rjag and jonny like this

#1772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:32 AM

It’s a tough thing, isn’t it? You’d like to make better choices but sometimes the consumption of something that appears more eco friendly requires more energy and resources to create, then properly dispose of.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1773 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

Now, we also did the wooden utensils and paper straws, and that was all great (great for bonfire kindling!). But it got me thinking. As more of these eco-friendly products are introduced, do municipalities actually have the infrastructure to properly recycle/compost these products? Or is it really just for show?

Of course it's for show.  It's about having power and control over the everyday activities of the people.  

• Nparker, todd and Midnightly like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1774 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

The clear solution is to always serve your drinks in Jell-o form :)

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#1775 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

You’re invited to the party :)

Know it all.

#1776 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

And when somebody tries to open up a composting operating the neighbours complain and have it shut down. 

Apparently corn syrup starch cups contaminate plastic recycling, too. 

#1777 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

Apparently corn syrup starch cups contaminate plastic recycling, too. 

Yes! That was the other half of our problem. The research we did was very clear that you can't put them in with your regular recycling. So basically unless you have this high-heat composting system, you have to toss them in the garbage...which makes them worse than regular plastic.

#1778 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

Any disposable item that says it's compostable I put in the green bin that Saanich takes away. That's OK, right? I know someone that wouldn't put a toothpick in the compost bin and I laughed and said by the time that festering barge reaches its destination that toothpick has vaporized from the smell alone.

• sebberry, todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#1779 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

It is styrofoam cups now. When is the last time you got served anything in a styrofoam cup? 1994?

https://www.vicnews....styrofoam-cups/
  • sebberry likes this

#1780 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

I still see a lot of businesses that have the CoV posters and signage up regarding the bag bylaw, as if it was still in effect; probably to justify continuing to charge 25 cents for a paper bag.  Very annoying.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users