Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1801 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

The Market on Yates has also finally taken down its signs etc. advertising the bylaw (which is good)...and have upped their charge for a paper bag from 25 cents to 28 cents (which is kinda ridiculous).

#1802 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

Silk Road said they would reverse the charge if I wanted, but are keeping it in place and donating the money to “environmental initiatives”.

Matt.

#1803 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

I wonder if they'll pressure their suppliers and vendors to scrap plastic packing too, or if this is all just for optics.

My role at work has me unpacking a lot of computers and monitors.  The monitors all require assembly (stand, etc...) and each piece of the monitor is individually wrapped in a little plastic sheath.  The monitor, the base, the bit that holds the base to the monitor, the power cable, the display cable, the instructions, the health and safety / regulation compliance notice, the little plastic cover that snaps over the VESA mount... That's 8 pieces of truly single-use plastic per monitor.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1804 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

My role at work has me unpacking a lot of computers and monitors. The monitors all require assembly (stand, etc...) and each piece of the monitor is individually wrapped in a little plastic sheath. The monitor, the base, the bit that holds the base to the monitor, the power cable, the display cable, the instructions, the health and safety / regulation compliance notice, the little plastic cover that snaps over the VESA mount... That's 8 pieces of truly single-use plastic per monitor.

But but .... bags!!!!! 🤷‍♂️
  • sebberry likes this

#1805 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Uhg. My son was saying he felt guilty because his Lego is plastic and it will destroy the planet. I had to explain to him that plastic is not the devil and that waste and pollution is. AND that we are not all going to die in a few decades. I asked him what this "prophesy" that they are teaching him was called and he said "a prophecy means there is magic involved" I said exactly. He is nine. Keep the politics out of school.... 

• Nparker, rjag, lanforod and 3 others like this

#1806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Climate change hysteria has all the makings of a new religion; sadly, with none of fun after-life promises.

• rjag and sebberry like this

#1807 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

Uhg. My son was saying he felt guilty because his Lego is plastic and it will destroy the planet. I had to explain to him that plastic is not the devil and that waste and pollution is. AND that we are not all going to die in a few decades. I asked him what this "prophesy" that they are teaching him was called and he said "a prophecy means there is magic involved" I said exactly. He is nine. Keep the politics out of school.... 

yup, I like what Bjorn Lomborg has to say on this topic, its far more balanced and cuts through the BS

https://www.theglobe...ave-our-planet/

https://www.lomborg.com/

Edited by rjag, 02 August 2019 - 02:02 PM.

• Nparker and Teardrop like this

#1808 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

"Rather than trying to save the oceans with such bans in rich countries, we need to focus on tackling the inferior waste management and poor environmental policies in developing regions." There is this too. I spent a number of months in Kuwait and they have no garbage management at all it seems. Beaches are decimated with garbage, empty lots overflowing, huge piles in the desert. Super clean highways though! 

I would also add our own recycling programs should be looked at as well. 

• rjag and Teardrop like this

#1809 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:37 PM

If Bangladesh wants to keep using it's rivers as landfills, there is really nothing Canadians are going to achieve by banning bags and straws. While I do think it's important to have your own back yard tidy before complaining about your neighbor's, we should focus on the large waste manage problems before the tiny ones.
  • Redd42 and Teardrop like this

#1810 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Save on at Fort/Foul Bay removed their signs blaming the bylaw finally and are not charging for paper bags.

#1811 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

Save on at Fort/Foul Bay removed their signs blaming the bylaw finally and are not charging for paper bags.

My bag there a few days ago was free and they provided and filled a paper one without asking.

Today the cashier asked if I wanted one and charged me for it.  She was good about it when I said I wasn't charged a few days ago and removed the fee.  We spoke briefly and it sounds like she misses the plastic too.

I noticed Canadian Tire Hillside still has a few of the CoV BYOB signs up and no self-serve bags to be found at the self-checkouts.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1812 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

I stopped by Thrifty’s on my way home yesterday and the cashier placed my items in a paper bag, which immediately ripped as she picked it up to hand it to me. She then put the groceries into a second paper bag which also ripped.

I walked out of there looking like my purchase was a delicate balancing act.

That being said, these Thriftys bags feel very, very flimsy and rip very easily. I’ve never encountered such low quality paper bags before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1813 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

That'll learn ya for not carrying reusable bags* on your person at all times.

* along with a metal straw, coffee mug, drinking cup, wooden cutlery and ceramic dishes, in case you decide to stop somewhere for a beverage or a snack.

• sebberry and Midnightly like this

#1814 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

I stopped by Thrifty’s on my way home yesterday and the cashier placed my items in a paper bag, which immediately ripped as she picked it up to hand it to me. She then put the groceries into a second paper bag which also ripped.

I walked out of there looking like my purchase was a delicate balancing act.

That being said, these Thriftys bags feel very, very flimsy and rip very easily. I’ve never encountered such low quality paper bags before.

Partly why this whole bag ban has me making more trips to the grocery store for smaller orders, not fewer.  Got all the food for the next two days?  Check.  I'll come back tomorrow for the paper towel and laundry soap.

#1815 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

Yesterday at London Drugs the young male clerk asked me if I wanted to buy a paper bag! I laughed and said, I certainly do not!

• Nparker likes this

#1816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

I stopped at a Red Barn today. They charged 25 cents, despite being outside of the CoV. A customer in front of me asked why they’re charging 25 cents, and the response was “that’s what others are charging.” The response was “why not 5, why not 10 or 15?” The cashier just shrugged.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1817 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

And they were expecting the lowly cashier to know the answer to that question? As if they made the decision to charge for the bag?

#1818 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

A good manager would take the time to coach cashiers to answer such questions according to policy, since I’m certain many people are asking those questions.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.

#1819 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

A good manager would take the time to coach cashiers to answer such questions according to policy, since I’m certain many people are asking those questions.

So leave the cashier alone and request to speak to the manager to both raise the issue of policy and their failing to properly manage their charges.  Make sure you get the right haircut first though...

• rjag and Mattjvd like this

#1820 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

I'm the other way round: I don't really have much problem with banning plastic bags but I have a big problem with mandated minimum charges for other types of bag. (which ties in with my general dislike for mandated minimum charges for anything)

But they were never really free to begin with just everybody was paying for it before in the grocery prices with pay-per-bag just people who want the bags pay for the bags?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users