• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1861 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

It would appear as though Helps wants to etch a name for her efforts on the national scale. We don’t need to die on this hill. There are other battles for City of Victoria taxpayers to fund.

She's just upset her pet project got struck down.  Frankly I think it's offensive to use the Supreme Court of Canada this way.

• Nparker, rjag, Love the rock and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:56 AM

This has the markings of the pot shop licensing disaster where the City’s bylaws were thwarted by national regulations and provincial regulations.

The feds and the province are moving on this, but perhaps it’s not something Helps feels will work within the time limitations of her last term as mayor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1863 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

She's just upset her pet project got struck down.  Frankly I think it's offensive to use the Supreme Court of Canada this way.

I’ve noticed she’s quite vindictive if she doesn’t get her way .
  • Nparker likes this

#1864 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

...The feds and the province are moving on this...

Which I hope is a reason for the SCoC to refuse to hear the case or find in favour of the appeal court decision.

#1865 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

Sure, just like anyone who disagrees with her, even reasonably, is painted as a bully. (Which itself is a sort of passive aggressive bullying).

Just like when, taking a page from the Trump playbook, rather than fessing up re mishandling of the Elsner mess, she accused the OPCC of picking on her. She might as well have tweeted, "Mayoral harrassment. Conflicted OPCC witch hunt is being reported by FAKE NEWS CFAX" etc etc.
  • Nparker and Cats4Hire like this

#1866 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

This has the markings of the pot shop licensing disaster where the City’s bylaws were thwarted by national regulations and provincial regulations.

The feds and the province are moving on this, but perhaps it’s not something Helps feels will work within the time limitations of her last term as mayor.

They just did zoning in that scenario didn’t ban anything new. In that scenario they were/are just fining businesses for what businesses are normally fined for. The city just did zoning didn’t actually do anything outside of what they are allowed. They never said the federal government was cool with it even posted disclaimers.

#1867 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

I’m going to be vindictive too .Hope all this travel on the city’s dime and mismanagement doesn’t land her any job offerings when her term is over .

#1868 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

They just did zoning in that scenario didn’t ban anything new. In that scenario they were/are just fining businesses for what businesses are normally fined for. The city just did zoning didn’t actually do anything outside of what they are allowed. They never said the federal government was cool with it even posted disclaimers.

They had caveats, etc. But cannabis businesses were applying for and receiving permission to operate within the CoV's borders. Their efforts, and expenses, were wasted.

This is why municipal governments should not tread on provincial or federal turf.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1869 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

They had caveats, etc. But cannabis businesses were applying for and receiving permission to operate within the CoV's borders. Their efforts, and expenses, were wasted.

This is why municipal governments should not tread on provincial or federal turf.

Some have provincial approval now. Far from wasted.

If the bylaw hadn’t been created wouldn’t Victoria be doing that now?

Why did the feds not move in?

Edited by todd, 26 September 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#1870 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

I don’t know if it’s just because people like me but I’ve been getting a lot of free bags at fine City of Victoria retailers.
  • todd likes this

#1871 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:40 AM

And how long did they have to sit empty, paying thousands a month, while waiting?

Look at Trees. An entire chain caught up in the mess.
  • todd and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#1872 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:18 PM

And how long did they have to sit empty, paying thousands a month, while waiting?

Look at Trees. An entire chain caught up in the mess.

Trees had lineups out the door for about 5 years. They knew this would happen probably surprised they got this long a run.

#1873 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

Dozens of people lost their jobs, huge sums of money in product forefeited, lease obligations unmet, etc. I don’t think they planned for this. I think they assumed the regulatory regime the City had created would be just as rigourous as what the feds and province would implement, so passing muster with the City was likely to pass muster with higher levels of government.

That was not to be as the feds and province required proof of funding sources, and if there was one link in that chain unwilling to disclose their income history to the government for whatever reason, the whole thing would stall.

Know it all.

#1874 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Dozens of people lost their jobs, huge sums of money in product forefeited, lease obligations unmet, etc. I don’t think they planned for this. I think they assumed the regulatory regime the City had created would be just as rigourous as what the feds and province would implement, so passing muster with the City was likely to pass muster with higher levels of government.

That was not to be as the feds and province required proof of funding sources, and if there was one link in that chain unwilling to disclose their income history to the government for whatever reason, the whole thing would stall.

Yeah I don't know I saw that coming. People can private message me for consulting.

#1875 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

What type of drink?

I’m concerned how you’re dodging the question.

#1876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

Oddly enough last night I ran into someone who works for government and is involved with the licensing of liquor and cannabis-related businesses.

This person said verification of funding sources is a standard procedure for various business ventures/niches and cannabis retailing is just one of them. This person said nobody should have been shocked that thorough funding verification would be associated with this industry.

I would have thought only cannabis required this much rigour but I guess not.
  • todd and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#1877 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

D1024BA8-CF70-4AAB-9329-76652C97B36B.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#1878 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

Oddly enough last night I ran into someone who works for government and is involved with the licensing of liquor and cannabis-related businesses.

This person said verification of funding sources is a standard procedure for various business ventures/niches and cannabis retailing is just one of them. 

verification by who?  government?  plastic bag police?

almost anyone can start almost any plastic bag business without government poking around.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#1879 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

77F91125-048C-4781-87F7-9E8121A77BED.gif
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1880 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

verification by who?  government?  plastic bag police?

almost anyone can start almost any plastic bag business without government poking around.

The bag police: https://youtu.be/ZigDpBcu6hg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users