Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1901 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

Last week over the space of a few days, we trapped over ten rats in our garage. We used to dispose of them in plastic grocery bags in our garbage can. Now we have to pay to buy Glad bags for them. I miss plastic grocery bags.

#1902 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

Wrong.

10% Tuesday was nutty. Lots of $300+ orders. They always paired me up with the fastest cashier and the owner would direct traffic at the tills. Biggest carts went to us.

I got good at getting 3x3 bags of milk into one paper bag.

Matt.

#1903 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

I have about 15 - you can have a couple of mine.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't particularly like tossing them into the laundry after using them to pick up after the dog.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1904 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

It's easy to keep a supply of reusable bags in one's vehicle...not so much on one's person.
  • rmpeers likes this

#1905 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

It's easy to keep a supply of reusable bags in one's vehicle...not so much on one's person.

I want to go there, but I'm not going to go there.  :lol: 

Of course, I don't literally want to go there:o

#1906 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:54 PM

Fortunately, salt spring is so ahead of the curve on the green front you basically have to drive everywhere.

Matt.

#1907 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Funny story. We went to a grocery store in Zihuatanejo Mexico over the holidays and low and behold they don’t offer bags of any type for any price. If you didn’t bring a bag you are just plain out of luck. We went by taxi and the transfer of these goods (we had a crap load) in and out of the taxi and then into the condo was not going to be pretty.

Then, as luck would have it, a grocery stock person walked by packing some cardboard boxes. So armed with our Costco skills, we relieved the chap of his boxes, packed them up, and carried on about our way.

Really....no bags ..... not even for gringos.....but the town and the beaches were spotless.

You must have gone to the wrong store, my wife is down there right now and I just asked her and she said the groceries were boxed for them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1908 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

We don’t know if Sparky actually paid for his. The kid with the box showed up just as the taxi did, so...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1909 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

^No straws in the drinks, and you have to pay a deposit on bottled water as well.

Maybe Lisa should take a fact finding trip down there.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1910 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

The cardboard boxes were a free snag. It was an amazing coincidence.

I paid much more attention to my surroundings after this event and I have to say the Mexicans seem to be way ahead of us with regards to disposable containers.
  • Teardrop likes this

#1911 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

Maybe Lisa's next junket will be to Ottawa to give the Supreme Court an earful.

Plastic bags won’t be banned in the City of Victoria any time soon.The Supreme Court of Canada has dismissed the City’s application for a leave to appeal the decision that halted efforts for a plastic bag ban...As is customary for a leave to appeal decision, the Supreme Court does not issue any reasons for its decision...In a statement, the CPBA [Canadian Plastic Bag Association] said it welcomes the decision to “respect limits” placed on B.C. municipalities’ authority when addressing environmental issues...

https://www.vicnews....court-decision/

#1912 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

^ At least it won't cost taxpayers anything!

#1913 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

Maybe Lisa's next junket will be to Ottawa to give the Supreme Court an earful.

Has any government anywhere ever wasted more time on vain flights of fancy than our beloved CoV team? Curious to know how many hours were spent by City lawyers and other city staff on a project they should have known they lacked the authority to undertake. Also how much did various businesses have to spend to comply with the whole scheme?
  • Nparker, rjag, Bernard and 2 others like this

#1914 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Once again, plastic bags (and pesticides, and oil tankers, and forestry, etc...) are not a municipal issue.   Only the province can create the plastic bag ban and the CoV should quit wasting time on **** like this and focus on what they are supposed to do.

• Nparker, Love the rock, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1915 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

Do they literally have no idea what their job is, or do they choose issues outside their scope because they think cooler-sounding issues will help get them votes?
  • Love the rock likes this

#1916 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

Most on CoV council are ideologues; normal behavior is a foreign concept to them.

#1917 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

The actual ongoing things that councils should be dealing with is mainly rezoning, the budget, and long term planning of land use.    There is a lot municipalities do that need virtually no council consideration (waste management and recreation are two).   There is no reason the CoV could not do all the work that is actually their requirement in two 4 to 5 hour meetings a week.    For a city of 85,000, there is no reason the actual mandate of local government should take up more than part time hours for any councilor.  Every hour spent on issues that are not under their jurisdiction should not be counted by the councilors or public as them being "on the job"

• Nparker, sebberry, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#1918 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Every hour spent on issues that are not under their jurisdiction should not be counted by the councilors or public as them being "on the job"

This x 1000.

• Love the rock likes this

#1919 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

Aren't they also now talking about birth control? Meanwhile, in Cook St. Village near where the new little flower and plant store is, the sidewalk was a massive puddle this week. The drain is in that sorry excuse for a boulevard (mostly mud) and is higher than the sidewalk. Pedestrians had a choice of wading through the puddle or slogging through the mud. THIS is what the city should be focusing on. Oxford Street in the block off of Cook is deplorable. It's one massive series of bumps and hollows that is a lake when it rains.

Sorry, off topic a little.

Edited by mbjj, 25 January 2020 - 11:15 AM.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and rmpeers like this

#1920 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

^

Your comment is very relevant to the wasted time (and money) spent on ideas that are not part of their mandate, while ignoring pressing issues that affect the daily lives of people in Victoria.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users