Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1941 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

...Bring your totes and wash them once in a while. Adapt and overcome. Pioneer spirit what-what! You’ll live.

Why stop there? All urban dwellers should just farm their own vegetables, mill their own grain, spin their own wool, gin their own cotton, and butcher their own livestock, just like the pioneers did. Of course the smoke from all the wood fire cooking and heating appliances might not aid in the !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: CLIMATE EMERGENCY  :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!, but this will be balanced off by the horse-drawn wagons* that will have replaced any and all manufactured vehicles.

* except on the streets of Victoria of course, as that would be inhumane

• Mike K., rjag, GaryRanson and 2 others like this

#1942 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Yeh, those never get washed, do they? 

I've seen them and carts being steam cleaned.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1943 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

Alas and woe! How ever did your mothers and grandmothers survive shopping and dealing with produce before plastic bags came around in the1960s? Bring your totes and wash them once in a while. Adapt and overcome. Pioneer spirit what-what! You’ll live.

So... okay... if I want to buy bulk nuts or trail mix, I'm doing what, putting a cup of them in a full size reusable grocery bag, which I'm now laundering ever time I go to the grocery store, and then how does the cashier weight the nuts? Or do I have to buy a whole bunch of miniature bags for every imaginable bulk purchase? Whay if I'm buying say bulk cinammon... Etc etc... just trying to actually think this through, because lord knows, city hall won't if they ever glom onto this idea.

#1944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Why stop there? All urban dwellers should just farm their own vegetables, mill their own grain, spin their own wool, gin their own cotton, and butcher their own livestock, just like the pioneers did. Of course the smoke from all the wood fire cooking and heating appliances might not aid in the !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: CLIMATE EMERGENCY :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!, but this will be balanced off by the horse-drawn wagons* that will have replaced any and all manufactured vehicles.

* except on the streets of Victoria of course, as that would be inhumane

Classic.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1945 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:14 PM

Why don’t you people just use the paper bags by the mushrooms for all this stuff. Jesus.

Matt.

#1946 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

Why don’t you people just use the paper bags by the mushrooms for all this stuff. Jesus.

Matt.

For some things, obviously, yes. For others, not so much.

#1947 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:22 AM

How are you going to fit a dripping wet head of lettuce into one of those, smarty pants?
  • Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1948 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

Wow. Such vehemence against the concept of thoughtful consumerism.

For the record, I buy my bulk spices and just *GASP* bring my own little tins to store them in. Tare is labelled on the side. Easy, fits into my spice drawer neatly, looks great. I bring a small basket with labelled glass jars to the shop, buy exactly what I know my pantry needs, and carry on with my day. Heck, some places give me a discount (Bulk Barn = 20% regularly) for bringing my own, which pulls my grocery costs down even further. For produce I have a small collection of cotton bags with drawstrings I keep in my daybag, fits all but the largest pumpkins, but I'm not likely to be hauling one of those home in my bag anyway.

Now this doesn't work as well if you're the "I'll just grab a few things on the way home" type of shopper, but then you'll just save a bit of money by not purchasing something the moment the thought enters your head. Less waste that way too.

• gstc84 likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#1949 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

How are you going to fit a dripping wet head of lettuce into one of those...

Which brings us back around to the inconsistencies.... the fundamentals of food safety are now going to be a thing only sometimes. Life-and-death business one moment, irrelevant the next. Because politics. But you better believe that you should be scared when you're commanded to be scared (when the next food safety scare story gets rolled out).

I think my main question would be this: all of those millions of times over the years and decades when a customer freaked out at a checkout clerk for putting double-bagged raw meat in the same bag as produce or ice cream or toilet paper or pretty much anything else, and all of those millions of times when a family member freaked out at another family member for doing same... are we going to pretend that none of that ever happened now? Will there be some retroactive declaration that nobody ever actually cared about any of that or did any of that?

#1950 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

That’s just it, right?

Meanwhile there isn’t a grocery store today that doesn’t have alcohol-based hand disinfectant at the door. We didn’t see that until a few years ago. But placing your tomatoes into a grimy basket, then onto a grimier conveyer is totally rational and perfectly normal.

I tell ya, we just don’t grasp how important plastic is to modern, urban society. Plastic keeps us healthy and safe, and it’s the cheapest, most efficient way of doing so. There are plenty of other options but they’ll all come at a cost, either financially or in health, or both.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.

#1951 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

How are you going to fit a dripping wet head of lettuce into one of those, smarty pants?

Lol!

Ok, you got me there. All this blubbering about mah spices and mah Brussels, just get on with it. It’s not difficult! Those paper bags make great fire starters too.

Matt.

#1952 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

...those paper bags make great fire starters too.

Fire bad for climate.

• Matt R. and rmpeers like this

#1953 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

National ban on single-use plastics coming in 2021. https://www.cbc.ca/n...s-ban-1.5445611

#1954 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

So I guess I'll just throw my non-recyclable garbage into the street instead of using plastic garbage bags.

#1955 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

Why don’t you buy compostable garbage can liners?

Matt.

#1956 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Why don’t you buy compostable garbage can liners?...

Mostly because they begin to compost before I can dispose of them.

#1957 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

Why don’t you buy compostable garbage can liners?

Matt.

Too expensive. I'm damned if I"m going to use my food money towards something like that.

As for paper produce bags, yes that's what was used when I was growing up, but at that time, there were no bulk foods available. Everything like raisins, spices, rice, etc. was pre-packaged only so there was no need for bags for bulk items.

• Nparker likes this

#1958 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

Now this doesn't work as well if you're the "I'll just grab a few things on the way home" type of shopper, but then you'll just save a bit of money by not purchasing something the moment the thought enters your head.

I'm that type of shopper: if I need it now I stop off and get it now.  I wouldn't save any money doing it any other way - I still need what I need - and in fact the bag ban is costing me money as I now have to buy plastic bags for garbage that I used to get for free with the groceries.

• Love the rock, mbjj and Midnightly like this

#1959 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:15 PM

This news will make some of you on this forum happy: plastic bags are free at Shoppers Drug Mart, Superstore, and Save-on-Foods starting tomorrow. Thank you, Covid-19!

https://vancouverisl...risis-1.4860576
  • Nparker, Love the rock and rmpeers like this

#1960 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

About time. It’s shocking that it took this long for them to return to checkout counters.

All along we’ve been saying reusable bags are a health risk, as is the disappearance of disposable plastic containers and utensils (notwithstanding Trudeau washing his plastic fork).
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users