Chris Coleman | Victoria | Council - VV Endorsed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Chris called me tonight to let me know that he is not going to run for mayor this time around. This should be in tomorrow's T-C as one of the final pieces by Carol Heiman.

With the impending federal election, the chances that anyone running for mayor would be able to get the volunteers they need to win is going to be almost impossible.

I will be backing Chris 100% for re-election to council.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

Well, so be it. He'll win re-election to council.

But surely, we (us?) right-wingers won't all get behind Sipos.

There must be someone else to deliver us from the leftist Fortin. And don't get me wrong, I like Mr. Fortin, I'll be happy to drop into his open door if elected, I just can't see him as a great Mayor. <Should I capitalize "Mayor"?

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have been told to expect a big launch to the Sipos campaign - the full meal deal with a very, very serious major campaign to win.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

I believe you capitalize it only if you're referring to a specific person:

"I talked to the Mayor about the fellow who wants to run for mayor."

I like Chris. Another person willing to listen to both sides of the story.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Stuck between a bully developer and a wet blanket?

I already know I don't like Fortin but I don't know enough about the other guy. Vote for the devil you know or take a chance on some new blood? Or just don't vote for mayor? Who knows.

I'll certainly be voting for Coleman and perhaps a friend or two..

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:37 AM

I called Chris wrong as I had been told that he was a sho-in. Turns out that he didn't think that he could beat Fortin.

Rob Reid is joining Fortin's ticket so it should get interesting.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

I would not say Reid is on anyone's side in the race. I believe Stan Sipos is keen to have him run

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

City councillor backs off bid for Victoria's mayoralty
Store owner, radio personality to vie for seats on council
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008

Victoria city councillor Chris Coleman says he won't seek the mayor's seat in the November municipal election, ending weeks of speculation that he would vie for the post being left vacant by Mayor Alan Lowe.

The announcement leaves Coun. Dean Fortin the only incumbent likely on the ballot for mayor, and will fuel interest over the next few weeks on whether more newcomers will battle Fortin for the post. Developer Stan Sipos, publication production assistant Simon Nattrass, Georgia-Anne Jones and John C. Turner have already declared their intentions to run for mayor.

Coleman said he opted to seek re-election as a councillor, believing that's his best chance to continue with projects he's been working on. Those include beefing up the region's economic development commission and assisting with three groups in James Bay -- James Bay Community Project, New Horizons and James Bay Community School -- in creating a co-location for their services that could also create new housing units. He's also chairman of a committee that portions out federal funding for initiatives to help the homeless.

"I think the best comment came from my wife who said, 'I think you should [run for mayor] but if you do it, and lose, are you willing to walk away from the things you are involved in?' I'm not willing to walk away."

Rob Reid, owner of the Frontrunners sporting-goods store and a member of the United Way cabinet, was widely rumoured to want to make a run for the job. He's been attending council meetings as an observer and talking to business and community members to gauge support.

Yesterday Reid told the Times Colonist he will seek a position as councillor in this election, focusing on a platform that emphasizes building Victoria's cultural identity as a city of lifestyle, artistic, fitness and green alternatives.

Making headway on social issues, green transportation policies and community engagement are also noted in his literature.

Last week Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe -- also known to be thinking of running for mayor -- said she would seek re-election as a councillor.

Meanwhile Susan Woods, a radio host, announced this week she'll run for council.

Woods, a writer and host of the Saturday local history show called Remember When on CFAX, said she's forming her platform but her top concern is "ensuring that we don't lose our civic pride" and that we can look forward to a good future.

She adds it makes no sense that 60,000 taxpayers pay the bill for downtown when 360,000 people participate in activities there.

"It is time for all municipalities to come to the table," Woods said, stopping shy of calling for amalgamation. "We've been talking about that for ages. ... We need to reframe it as municipal integration."

Woods was born in Halifax and moved to Victoria in 1989, where she raised two children.

Three members of Victoria city council have said they won't run, leaving a wide-open race for new faces. Already Pieta Van Dyke, Lynn Hunter and Michael Sharpe have expressed interest in filling those seats. There is a growing list of others rumoured to be declaring their interest in the next few weeks.

Incumbents whose names will be back on the ballot are Pam Madoff, Coleman, Thornton-Joe, Sonya Chandler and Geoff Young.

cheiman@tc.canwest.com

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

I would not say Reid is on anyone's side in the race. I believe Stan Sipos is keen to have him run

Yesterday Reid told the Times Colonist he will seek a position as councillor in this election, focusing on a platform that emphasizes building Victoria's cultural identity as a city of lifestyle, artistic, fitness and green alternatives.

Doesn't sound like Sipos to me.

I will credit Rob as being his own man and not taking direction from anyone. I sincerely wish him well.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

Since we have not seen any details from Stan Sipos to date, it is hard to say where he is coming from. From what I can glean, he is looking to lead an activist city council that will deal with the problems of downtown and build a more vibrant city.

I understand that he would like to see Chris Coleman re-elected as a councilor

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

Here is his facebook page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users