Fishing

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

That’s awesome. There’s some beautiful country out that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

That’s awesome. There’s some beautiful country out that way.

No question; remember too the Carmanah-Walbran Valley is only slightly further out along the west coast from this area.

There is no better way to be humbled than standing at the base of a 1000 year old, 50+ meter sitka spruce or western red cedar. Its primordial, stunning and very, very fragile. Which is why we do our best when we're out there to minimize our impact and above all ensure we clean up anything and everything we produce in terms of waste. All of this stunning landscape is literally in our back yard yet (too) many people in this region are completely unaware of it which really is a shame IMO.

• Mike K. likes this

#123 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

From today's T-C: it goes without saying that in the back woods country, and the Harris and Upper Harris Creek is just that, there is no margin for error. What the hell these two were doing "camping" in an SUV under these conditions, boggles the mind:

https://www.timescol...reek-1.23578318

I've driven my SUV a lot out there - and not when the region is being inundated by torrential rain - however the waters there can rise with little to no warning at any time. In relatively ideal weather conditions, at least what passes for that given the terrain, my own SUV, in 4 wheel drive mode, nearly went into the drink taking 3 of us with it because a bank of a 60+ year old fire break 'road' (I use the term very loosely), gave way due to being saturated by a previous rain storm.

You have to be prepared in terms of knowledge of the area, weather forecasts, survival gear and above all use your brain. Its stunning, ethereal country as previously mentioned. It can also kill you in a heartbeat if you're not aware, constantly paying attention and above all, fully prepared in advance.

• todd likes this

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

I think that answers your question why those areas are not regularly travelled by the masses :)

I know the exact spot where those two were camping and I camped there myself in October. Even then with no rains we had to deduce where to park the truck and where an escape route was in the rare event that a torrential downpour materialized anywhere along the tributary. I don't think people realize how fast a river can rise, and how rains many miles away can impact the river.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

Ha....I read a quote on the weekend.

Fishing has nothing to do with fish.

Priceless

#126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,318 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

in the same way that golfing has nothing to do with putting a white ball into a small hole.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#127 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

From today's T-C: it goes without saying that in the back woods country, and the Harris and Upper Harris Creek is just that, there is no margin for error. What the hell these two were doing "camping" in an SUV under these conditions, boggles the mind:

https://www.timescol...reek-1.23578318

I've driven my SUV a lot out there - and not when the region is being inundated by torrential rain - however the waters there can rise with little to no warning at any time. In relatively ideal weather conditions, at least what passes for that given the terrain, my own SUV, in 4 wheel drive mode, nearly went into the drink taking 3 of us with it because a bank of a 60+ year old fire break 'road' (I use the term very loosely), gave way due to being saturated by a previous rain storm.

You have to be prepared in terms of knowledge of the area, weather forecasts, survival gear and above all use your brain. Its stunning, ethereal country as previously mentioned. It can also kill you in a heartbeat if you're not aware, constantly paying attention and above all, fully prepared in advance.

I've camped there a few times, too over the years. Even in the summer it's pretty obvious that you are actually in the creek bed and that area is underwater at some point during the year....surprise!...it is that time of the year.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#128 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

Heading up to Upper/Harris Creek on Sunday morning in an attempt to bag a steel-head or two if we could be that fortunate; we'll be geared up and prepared to the hilt for the expected conditions and do our best not to make the front page of the T-C, heh....

#129 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:40 PM

We're heading up in the general direction of Sayward-Kelsey Bay and ultimately to Pt Hardy on a fishing trip over Easter. Likely focusing on the Salmon River near Kelsey Bay.

I frankly haven't been much north of Campbell River since I was a kid - anyone on the forum covered a lot of this terrain especially recently regardless whether you were fishing or not? Just curious what condition Hwy 19 is once you get to that last stretch of the island, in addition to accommodation options particularly in or near Kelsey Bay-Sayward. If we have to we're quite prepared to camp but the weather clearly isn't ideal at the time of year, so I'm mainly curious about what motels (or campgrounds) that fellow VV's may have stayed at in the area. 

In a perfect world there would be something like one of the "fisherman special" motels in Campbell River that dot the north west of town along the actual river itself, and which cater primarily to sports fishermen. With maybe a thousand people or less in the immediate Sayward area though I'm not holding my breath thus suggestions/observations are welcome.

• todd likes this

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

There's a great little bungalow motel in Sayward just off the highway. I've stayed there a couple of times over the last two years and have no complaints. It's popular among hunters, fishermen and tree planting crews from what I saw, and it's also an RV park so some folks hang around for longer periods.

There's a restaurant within minutes on foot, a gas station, and the motel has a little convenicence store. Sayward (the town) is a few clicks down the road past the motel.

The highway itself is well travelled and well maintained. You could encounter snow up that way at that time of year so be ready for it. You might also find snow immediately off the highway making logging road travel difficult unless you've got chains.

Telegraph Cove is a must-see just for the novelty. You'll encounter it about an hour north of Sayward and it's popular among RV'ers and a neat little hideaway. It's also the end of the line of the now defunct Englewood Railway which was the oldest operating logging railroad on the continent prior to the tragedy. A stopover in Woss, which is where the railway had its yard, will be neat for you considering you're a rail fan. There's an old 2-4-4 or something similar on display and there should still be lots of rolling stock around.

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

Know it all.

#131 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

Good stuff, thanks Mike...

#132 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:09 PM

There's a great little bungalow motel in Sayward just off the highway. I've stayed there a couple of times over the last two years and have no complaints. It's popular among hunters, fishermen and tree planting crews from what I saw, and it's also an RV park so some folks hang around for longer periods.

There's a restaurant within minutes on foot, a gas station, and the motel has a little convenicence store. Sayward (the town) is a few clicks down the road past the motel.

The highway itself is well travelled and well maintained. You could encounter snow up that way at that time of year so be ready for it. You might also find snow immediately off the highway making logging road travel difficult unless you've got chai

So we've settled on a great AirBB near Pt McNeil - $875 all in for 3 nights split between five guys; the bonus is it has a hot tub which a bunch of 50-somethings crawling through, over, and under some very tough landscape will be extremely grateful for at the end of each day.

https://www.airbnb.c...ts=1&s=_1wCeLND

This location is a great jumping off point to hit the Nimpkish, Nahwitti, Salmon and Adam/Eve river systems. Some pretty remote country there but also a shot at one of the last remaining steel-head runs on Vancouver Island, with some of the biggest steelies on the west coast, in excess of 20+ pounds which is a hell of a thing if you've the cajones to try it on light gear. I'm mainly looking forward to it because I've never actually been north of Sayward in my life.

Thankfully the benediction Mrs ASE gave me for this trip over Easter long weekend seems to be holding up. Now to blow a chunk of dough on tuning up the gear and of course buying some additional goodies. Should be some amazing pics to boot.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 23 March 2019 - 11:13 PM.

• todd likes this

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

Nice.

If you could snap the odd photo along your travels that would be amazing.

You’ll notice once you head beyond Sayward the Island steps back in time, to where you get the feeling like you’re alone in a massive wilderness thousands of miles from civilization.

Do you guys carry a satellite beacon?

Ps, the concentration of cougars up that far north is significantly higher than it is south of the highway 28 corridor. I’ve encountered three cougars in a pack. Be ready for a different wildlife experience in that regard. Carry mace or a shotgun if you’re hiking in far, as those animals are not quite as cuddly towards humans as they are on the southern half of the Island.

Know it all.

#134 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

Nice.

If you could snap the odd photo along your travels that would be amazing.

You’ll notice once you head beyond Sayward the Island steps back in time, to where you get the feeling like you’re alone in a massive wilderness thousands of miles from civilization.

Do you guys carry a satellite beacon?

Ps, the concentration of cougars up that far north is significantly higher than it is south of the highway 28 corridor. I’ve encountered three cougars in a pack. Be ready for a different wildlife experience in that regard. Carry mace or a shotgun if you’re hiking in far, as those animals are not quite as cuddly towards humans as they are on the southern half of the Island.

Although the gear is a PITA to lug around, maintain and set up, I'm contemplating bringing the Olympus DSLR and associated lens' out of semi-retirement so pics are a guarantee either way. No way I'm going to that wilderness and not documenting what should be some spectacular country, particularly the back woods areas that most people never see. We have no issue hiking 6-8 kilometers into the bush to reach remote areas most people, even hard core fishermen, wouldn't bother with.

We all carry GPS units and will be giving the local gendarmes a heads up about our general backwoods travel plans for each day; we also all carry bear bombs and there will be two .22's in the group for a more serious "just in case" moment, which we'll be hoping for obvious reasons doesn't occur.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

You’re entering desolate bear territory during cub season. I really don’t think you should be out there without a shotgun, as a 22 is not sufficient to stop even a small animal (provided you can hit it, which is nearly impossible in a tense situation).

You guys should also consider carrying a satellite beacon given the age of your group and the distances between you and medical services. Those devices can make a difference and I would highly advise you to discuss with your group a purchase of a decent unit. Since you travel into the bush with some regularity it’ll be useful for you all.

Know it all.

#136 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Is it possible that Mrs ASE is planning a weekend in Vegas this Easter?

Just sayin’
  • Mike K. likes this

#137 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

Is it possible that Mrs ASE is planning a weekend in Vegas this Easter?

Just sayin’

Naw....she's a good Catholic prairie girl so will be quite certain to be close to her church for much of the weekend, which for her 'Gang' is the most important religious time of the year. Besides the only person I know who has less use and more loathing for Vegas than me, is her. Now...OTOH....after Easter Services, she might be inclined to head home to Regina, God Knows why. One can never really anticipate what a prairie girl will ultimately do. I know only that I will be fishing :)

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

^running from bears is my bet!

Know it all.

#139 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

Actually I just got off the phone tonight with a local guide who's worked in the area for over 15 years; he says bears will be no issue - any problem with wildlife will almost certainly be in the form of a cougar, and that bear bang bombs will be more than sufficient for the former; the northern island is home to one of the largest concentrations of cougars in the world so those critters you do need to be on the lookout for. 

We've done enough camping in the interior and Rockies to know that common sense is your best defence against bears; cougars though are a bit of a concern.

In both cases the usual applies: makes lots of noise when in the bush and don't panic and run if you do happen to encounter one of these cats and store food and refuse securely. Its Canada, its nature, we can't eliminate all threats all the time so we'll head out and enjoy the experience. In another twist that shows how small the world is I got pinged by an old high school friend through Facebook - turns out the AirBnB we rented in Pt McNeill belongs to her family. 

#140 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:58 PM

Actually I just got off the phone tonight with a local guide who's worked in the area for over 15 years; he says bears will be no issue - any problem with wildlife will almost certainly be in the form of a cougar, and that bear bang bombs will be more than sufficient for the former; the northern island is home to one of the largest concentrations of cougars in the world so those critters you do need to be on the lookout for.

We've done enough camping in the interior and Rockies to know that common sense is your best defence against bears; cougars though are a bit of a concern.

In both cases the usual applies: makes lots of noise when in the bush and don't panic and run if you do happen to encounter one of these cats and store food and refuse securely. Its Canada, its nature, we can't eliminate all threats all the time so we'll head out and enjoy the experience. In another twist that shows how small the world is I got pinged by an old high school friend through Facebook - turns out the AirBnB we rented in Pt McNeill belongs to her family.

I've only once run into a bear who was not deterred by a bear banger. We were out beach combing and he was between us and where we'd landed the dingy, so we tried to scare him into the bush so we could get back to the boat. Just had to wait it out and keep our distance until he moved on.

It's one thing to run into a bear like that when you can see him from a good distance on the beach, but I wouldn't want to run into that grumpy old guy in close quarters in dense bush.

Edited by Mattjvd, 27 March 2019 - 12:09 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users