Photo

Rob Randall | Victoria | Council - VV Endorsed

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

^Yes, and it means looking carefully at the new Downtown Plan and the cross-town density planning scheme and letting developers know where and where they can't put extra density.

Yet another survey. Still several more to go.

This one is from Stewart Johnson, the lawyer near the Cormorant needle exchange.

What do you think are the reasons Victoria has such visible problems around homelessness and street issues?

A multitude of reasons, from government offloading, inadequate funding for treatment, lax prosecution of crime, immigration of street-entrenched people from other cities, more harmful drugs, gating of alleys that flushes the homeless onto the sidewalks; I could go on.

How do you think those problems should be handled?

Let's stop pondering and act on the recommendations of the Mayor's Task Force and Ted Hughes' Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness now. Let's implement a Community Courts system and strengthen and sustain the Con Air program. Let's focus our police resources on tackling those dealers that prey on our most vulnerable street people. Let's stop bickering and implement housing solutions for those out of rehab. Let's have an adult conversation with the Federal Government about how a supervised injection site can get addicts off the sidewalk and into rehab quicker. Let's publicize the cost-effectiveness of treatment vs. ignoring the problem. Let's make VIHA know that health centres for street people need adequate funding to alleviate the social disorder they attract. Let's break down the silos that prevent creative problem-solving and cooperation among Victoria's service providers.

Where do homelessness and street issues rate in your list of
priorities for the city?

>
At the top. It's what motivated me to run.

How would you describe your own level of knowledge on this subject?
How did you come by that knowledge?

My level of knowledge is very high. I am informed through my work with the Downtown Residents' Association, first as Land Use Commitee Chair, and now as Chair. My constant interactions with our Councillor Liaison Charlayne-Thornton-Joe, the Chair of the Mayor's Task Force as well as my work on the various committees including the Downtown Advisory Committee and the DVBA Clean & Safe Committee. Through these organizations and through reports I receive directly from residents and businesses I am continually updated on the situation and informed of the latest data and research on the topic of homelessness.

Please describe an “ideal world” around homelessness in terms of which
levels of government would assume most responsibility for dealing with
the issue. What are the responsibilities of:

the federal government?

-Housing, Drug law enforcement, safe consumption site certification, crime

The provincial government?

Health, drug law enforcement, crime, housing

Municipal and regional government?

Housing, shelters, community health service, service coordination, bylaw enforcement

The business community?

lobbying efforts, awareness programs, publicity, employment programs, fundraising, neighbourhood beautification and cleaning

Individual citizens?
Funding programs, volunteering, lobbying government, self education on homeless issues

If elected, how would you demonstrate leadership in tackling the
issues in Victoria and holding other levels of government accountable
for their own areas of responsibility?

Demonstrating my ability to work with stakeholders without displaying political bias or party loyalty I can apply my knowledge and experience to this complex task. Solving social issues surrounding homelessness and addiction requires someone able to work with all levels of government.

How would you get around the many challenges that other politicians
have faced on this issue? Please tell us what you’d do to manage each
of the following challenges:

lack of regional buy-in,

Stop bullying the other mayors. Listen to what their concerns are. Connect with citizens of other municipalities so they know they are being listened to as well. Be firm yet flexible in trying to forge cooperation between jurisdictions. Emphasize that a healthy Downtown means a healthy CRD which means an economically strong South Island.

no certainty around funding for new construction, land, operating costs,

Establish minimum mandatory goals and fit the institution around the budget limitations. For instance the new Our Place shelter is state of the art but there is no money left to fund it 24-7. Tie goals, milestones and outcomes to the client, not the institution.

concentration of street services in the downtown core

Diversify services throughout the City and the other municipalities. Everyone must bear the responsibility of solving homelessness and street issues, not just downtown.

NIMBYism,

Tie service providers' licenses to minimum standards of order. Make them as accountable as restaurants, clubs and bars when it comes to keeping the streets orderly.

lack of addiction services,

Let people know about how important these services are--not just in lives saved but in the thousands of dollars less it costs to treat a street-entrenched person vs. letting them bounce around the hospital and courtroom.

tight vacancy rate,

New housing coming on line frees up other suites.

lack of affordable, supported housing,

New regulations coming on line will permit cheaper housing. I will look for creative ways of allowing low-income housing to be brought into our neighbourhoods.

mental illness on the street

Encourage the Province to make sure there facilities where the mentally unstable can be safe. The experiment of closing down mental hospitals is an acknowleged failure.

open selling and using of drugs

Community Courts/Con Air/more and better allocated police resources. We should investigate getting the opiates out of the dealers hands and supplying to addicts behind closed doors and under supervision--but only if they comply with detox, rehab and renouncing serious crime.

crime and vandalism affecting people who live, work and shop in the downtown

Again, Community Courts. Other programs as mentioned above. Institute and publicize websites and phone numbers where citizens can report the effects of crime. I will fight for greater cooperation between police forces in other municipalites so that scant resources are put where they are needed.

#42 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

^ Great answers, Rob. Are you posting all these to your blog, or rather one of its campaign pages?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:48 AM

Yes, I think I will. That last one I was so exhausted I fell asleep right afterward. The last few answers are a little wobbly.

#44 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

James Bay meet the public event!

Come and say hi to me, Charlayne, Chris Coleman and Geoff Young at the big tent across from the James Bay Thrifty Foods today from 11 til 3. See you there!

#45 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

James Bay was great--met a lot of people.

I realized I hadn't actually sent off my response to Stewart Johnson's group so I partially re-wrote my responses to his questions:
=========

What do you think are the reasons Victoria has such visible problems around homelessness and street issues?

-Federal and Provincial offloading of the mentally ill (de-institutionalizing)
-Harsher drugs that have more acute effects than traditional drugs like heroin and alcohol
-Less affordable housing
-Gating of alleys and doorways that flush the homeless into more visible areas
-Our climate and stable economy that attracts people from all facets of life
-ineffective and underfunded programs dealing with addiction
-A previous lack of political will at all levels of government
-lack of effective law enforcement and diversion programs

How do you think those problems should be handled?

Let's stop pondering and act on the recommendations of the Mayor's Task Force and Ted Hughes' Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness now. Let's implement a Community Courts system and strengthen and sustain the Con Air program. Let's focus our police resources on tackling those dealers that prey on our most vulnerable street people. Let's stop bickering and implement housing solutions for those out of rehab. Let's have an adult conversation with the Federal Government about how a supervised injection site can get addicts off the sidewalk and into rehab quicker. Let's publicize the cost-effectiveness of treatment vs. ignoring the problem. Let's make VIHA know that health centres for street people need adequate funding to alleviate the social disorder they attract. Let's break down the silos that prevent creative problem-solving and cooperation among Victoria's service providers.

Where do homelessness and street issues rate in your list of priorities for the city?

At the top.

How would you describe your own level of knowledge on this subject? How did you come by that knowledge?

Very high. As President of the Downtown Residents' Association I make sure residents' observations are heard by the service providers. Through my constant interactions with our Councillor Liaison Charlayne-Thornton-Joe, the Chair of the Mayor's Task Force as well as my work on the various committees including the Downtown Advisory Committee and the DVBA Clean & Safe Committee. Through these organizations and through reports I receive directly from residents and businesses I am continually updated on the situation and informed of the latest data and research on the topic of homelessness.

Please describe an “ideal world” around homelessness in terms of which levels of government would assume most responsibility for dealing with the issue. What are the responsibilities of:

– the federal government?

Housing, justice reform, enforcement

– The provincial government?

Housing, justice reform, health care

– Municipal and regional government?

Housing, regional co-ordination, community health care, policing, bylaw enforcement

– The business community?

Employment programs, neighbourhood revitalization and beautification, funding initiatives, lobbying and networking,

– Individual citizens?

Funding programs, volunteering, lobbying government, self education on homeless issues

If elected, how would you demonstrate leadership in tackling the issues in Victoria and holding other levels of government accountable for their own areas of responsibility?

Demonstrating my ability to work with stakeholders without displaying political bias or party loyalty I can apply my knowledge and experience to this complex task. Solving social issues surrounding homelessness and addiction requires someone able to work with all levels of government.

Getting behind and advocating for the implementation of all the recommendations of the Mayor's Task Force. Continue to act as a liaison between citizens and the various levels of Government and the service providers.

How would you get around the many challenges that other politicians have faced on this issue? Please tell us what you’d do to manage each of the following challenges:

– lack of regional buy-in,

Continue to make the case that all citizens of the CRD bear a responsibility in solving this crisis. Appeal to higher levels of government for support. Stop bullying the other mayors. Listen to what their concerns are. Connect with citizens of other municipalities so they know they are being listened to as well. Be firm yet flexible in trying to forge cooperation between jurisdictions. Emphasize that a healthy Downtown means a healthy CRD which means an economically strong South Island.

– no certainty around funding for new construction, land, operating costs,

Examine Best Practices in other cities. Explore creative funding models that leverage partnerships with government, non-profit and private entities. Establish minimum mandatory goals and fit the institution around the budget limitations. For instance the new Our Place shelter is state of the art but there is no money left to fund it 24-7. Tie goals, milestones and outcomes to the client, not the institution.

– concentration of street services in the downtown core

Make the case for dispersion of services to all neighbourhoods, because most street-entrenched people originate from within the entire CRD, not just Downtown.

– NIMBYism,

Education for citizens on the realities of addictions and homelessness. Empowering residents with the knowledge that commitment to solving homelessness makes for a safer, more vibrant and economically healthy city and region. Tie service providers' licenses to minimum standards of order. Make them as accountable as restaurants, clubs and bars when it comes to keeping the streets orderly.

– lack of addiction services,

Continue to lobby for sustainable funding for detox, counselling and treatment from all service providers. Bring the case to citizens; make it an election issue. Let people know about how important these services are--not just in lives saved but in the thousands of dollars less it costs to treat a street-entrenched person vs. letting them bounce around the hospital and courtroom.

– tight vacancy rate,

Discourage demolition and conversion of affordable rental housing. Encourage continued densification of Downtown that follows the Downtown Plan and Smart Growth principles. New housing coming on line frees up other older and cheaper suites.

– lack of affordable, supported housing,

Advocate creative solutions for affordable housing involving all sectors of the housing industry: government, non-profits and the private sector. Urge architects and developers to design buildings that adhere to the Triple Bottom Line approach and exhibit design excellence and harmony with their surroundings. New regulations coming on line will permit cheaper housing using new building methods and smaller suite sizes and building footprints. I will look for creative ways of allowing low-income housing to be brought into our neighbourhoods, including housing suitable for families.

– mental illness on the street

Encourage the Province to make sure there facilities where the mentally unstable can be safe. The experiment of closing down mental hospitals is an acknowleged failure.

– open selling and using of drugs

Community Courts/Con Air/more and better allocated police resources. We should investigate getting the opiates out of the dealers hands and supplying to addicts behind closed doors and under supervision--but only if they comply with detox, rehab and renouncing serious crime.

– crime and vandalism affecting people who live, work and shop in the downtown

Again, Community Courts. Other programs as mentioned above. Institute and publicize websites and phone numbers where citizens can report the effects of crime. I will fight for greater cooperation between police forces in other municipalites so that scant resources are put where they are needed. I was proud that our Community Association partnered with the DVBA in sponsoring a forum on Community Courts.

#46 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

My Black Press/Victoria News profile.

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

My responses to the Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition (since they're still not up on their website):

1.) Do you own a bike? How often do you commute by bicycle?

I own two bikes; a 2000 Kona Lava Dome mountain bike and a 1987 Centurion road bike. Both were bought new. Right now the Centurion is my daily driver. I use it virtually every day to commute. My longest commute was Downtown Victoria to Langford. I did this for three years.

2.) How do you propose to expand and increase cycling, walking & public transit in your municipality?

As President of the Downtown Residents' Association I made sure new developments had the latest bike-friendly features. I heartily endorsed one condo development that proposes to locate the bike storage not deep in the basement but in a high-visibility streetfront location. Efforts like this make bike ownership more attractive and increases use. I encourage parking variances in new developments so automobile storage is not subsidized by all owners and excess parking is reduced. My goal has been to reduce automobile visits into the core and increase bike ridership. More places to safely lock bikes downtown and in other neighbourhoods will help. Education programs for riders and drivers to reduce conflict as ridership increases. I support the construction of bike lanes on the Bay St. Bridge. I support the creation of a car-free Government St. for a trial period during the summer months in consultation with adjacent businesses. I attended last year's City presentation of the Pedestrian Master Plan and support its vision of an enhanced pedestrian system. As DRA Chair I ensured we had representation on BC Transit's public commitee examining the Douglas Street Bus Rapid Transit plan. I would advocate enhanced public transit service particularly between Downtown, UVic/Camosun and Fairfield/James Bay. I would advocate a light rapid transit system for Victoria.

3.) What initiatives would you propose to make our streets safer for cyclists, including improving cycle-friendly infrastructure?

I strongly believe in bike paths but I don't assume they are a substitute for education and good riding skills. I learned this many years ago through Ray Hall's columns in the GVCC newsletter (I volunteered my time as a cartoonist there in the early '90s). Even as bike paths grow we must continue to get cyclists to ride defensively as there are still many good commuting routes without bike paths and cyclists must not let paths give them a false sense of security. Educating drivers to co-exist with riders must continue as well. One thing we can do immediately is improve and clarify signage, especially around intersections. Complex intersections such as Pandora and Store are often intimidating to cyclists.

4.) What is your position on the development of a regional transportation authority in Greater Victoria, and how do you see the cycling community being involved in this process?

The cycling community should be a major player as it is the most "urban friendly" form of transportation and as such must not be regarded as merely an add-on to an auto-centric transportation plan. A comprehensive transportation authority would be beneficial as it would break through the silo thinking that hampers broad solutions to transportation issues.

5.) If you were in a position to vote on a large development in your community, how would you ensure that cyclists' needs are incorporated?

Obviously the GVCC is up to speed on the pressing issues and are in a position to constructively consult. Getting more dedicated cyclists on the relevant commitees, advisory panels and boards at City Hall will be necessary so that it's not a case of City Hall listening to cyclists--City Hall should be comprised of cyclists!

6.) Is there anything you would like to say to the cycling community as to why you should receive our vote?

I am a dedicated commuting and recreation cyclist. I haven't had a car since 1989 because I'm committed to the enviromental, health and economic benefits of cycling. On Saturday, November 15 I encourage you to vote for cycling and transportation advocates John Luton, Geoff Young and myself for City Council.

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

My response to the Citizen Canine survey. I thought I was very fair and reasonable. But they thought otherwise and awarded me the dreaded "one paw" grade.

I've heard a lot of candidates privately grumble about the Citizen Canine survey, that it's rigged so that the only people that get top rating are the ones that advocate no dog laws whatsoever. I can't go this far because of several instances where off-leash dogs were responsible for unacceptable and dangerous behaviour around other dogs and children.

Anyway, here's my reply, followed by the edited Citizen Canine version and my rating:

1. Do you agree that off-leash walking is a legitimate form of recreation which should be accommodated in civic park and green-space planning? If so, how will you work with council and parks staff to accommodate this need?

Yes. Dog owners will be part of the consultation.

2. Are you aware of any other dog-related issues in your municipality? If so how would you like to see these issues addressed?

The most common complaint I receive as President of the Downtown Residents' Association is owners not picking up after their dogs. Bag depots and garbage cans along with education will help.

3. Do you agree that dog owners should be involved in the development of dog-related policies? If so how will you support this involvement in your municipality?

Yes. The City must have buy-in from the community for policy to be supportable.

4. Do you believe it is important to educate both non-dog owners and dog owners about responsible behaviour with dogs in order to promote cooperation, respect and tolerance? If so how would you like to see this education process take place in your municipality?

Of course. Media campaigns may be the most effective.

Robert Randall,
Candidate for City Council

http://www.citizenca...2008survey1.pdf

#49 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

[quote name='Rob Randall']My response to the Citizen Canine survey. I thought I was very fair and reasonable. But they thought otherwise and awarded me the dreaded "one paw" grade./quote]

One paw!! I would have given you four paws and a leash!

I did not bother to answer the canine survey. Now glad I spared myself the hour of work. More time to play with my 2 cats.

#50 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

My response to the Citizen Canine survey. I thought I was very fair and reasonable. But they thought otherwise and awarded me the dreaded "one paw" grade.

I'm not sure what the procedure of the actual rating was. I received the 'tripple paw' but the quote assigned to my rating didn't represent why I got that grade, methinks. I spent thousands of words on that survey, mind, and the ratings could also be a reflection of mere 'time and attention' to the issue. I think the rating system is somewhat unfortunate compared to simply posting surveys, although I suppose it is more accessible for voters strapped of time. I agree that dog-droppings is the number one issue for other park users regarding canines.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

I hope you can make it up by being nice to the cat and parrot folks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

This survey from Harm Reduction Victoria got lost in the shuffle of surveys. I don't know if I missed the deadline but here it is:

1. Do you favour the re-opening of a fixed site needle exchange in the city of Victoria?

Yes, with additional supports like satellite sites including pharmacies and VIHA clinics. This is dependent on adequate funding. The members of the Downtown Residents' Association are concerned the mistakes of the Cormorant exchange will be repeated elsewhere. This is why we advocate sustained and adequate funding from VIHA.

2. Do you support the opening of a safe consumption site (like that of InSite in Vancouver) for the City of Victoria?

Supervised consumption has been proven beneficial. Multiple sites would be appropriate for Victoria.

3. What does the term harm reduction mean to you?

It means treating addiction as the health problem it is and taking the steps necessary to get addicts stable and healthy.

4. What role do you see harm reduction playing in the creation of a healthy, thriving Victoria?

Solving addiction issues is crucial to the well-being of Victoria. Residents, businesses and tourists depend on it.

5. What actions will you take to ensure the City of Victoria follows the principals of harm reduction?

Commitment to making sure the findings of the Mayor's Task Force are followed through. Co-operating with the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness to ensure addicts are given the opportunity to turn their lives around.

6. What is your position on the current 'war on drugs' and the Victoria Police Department’s approach to substance use and users?

It's ineffective. Our focus must be on punishing those that prey on addicts and helping addicts get the help they need. A Community Court similar to the ones in New York, Portland and Vancouver is something I advocate. It is more effective and more humane than present strategies.

7. What, if any, alternative approaches to current drug laws have you considered? Please describe.

The NAOMI project is one. Giving opiates to addicts instead of letting them buy it on the black market would require commitment from other levels of government but it is worth considering.

8. What further commitments or additional comments would you like to make on your position on drug use and harm reduction, as they affect your candidacy?

My goal has always been one of getting addicts the help they need. I have been following this issues through my work as Chair of the DRA as well as a member of the Downtown Service Providers and the DVBA's Clean and Safe Committee. There I learn from front-line leaders in the harm reduction field and I've learned a lot from them.

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Excerpt from the Victoria News from a while back. I forgot about this one.

City council race gains two challengers

By Keith Vass - Victoria News

Published: September 11, 2008 11:00 AM
Updated: September 11, 2008 11:30 AM

Downtown Residents’ Association chair Robert Randall is running for Victoria city council.

Randall, an artist by trade and a regular face in council chambers, said he’s running in part on downtown issues, but also with an eye on the well-being of the city’s other neighbourhoods.

“Number one, it’s the social issues and following up on the mayor’s task force (on homelessness, mental health and addictions),” he said. “My big fear is when the new council comes in, they’ll want to put their own stamp on social issues.”

The report contained good recommendations “and we need to follow through on the big-picture commitments, that’s number one,” Randall added.

He also expects downtown development to continue to be a topic and wants to play a role in shaping development policy, including bonus density rules.

Randall also says he wants to see the city encourage growth in Victoria’s village centres, which will help reduce pressure on surrounding neighbourhoods.

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

The dog folks dinged you because you said downtown residents have complained about poop on downtown sidewalks?

#55 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

Not sure if this was pointed out elsewhere specifically, but the endorsements in yesterday's Times-Colonist article included a really strongly positive passage regarding Rob Randall:

In Victoria, there are eight people running for mayor. The two leading candidates both bring strengths, but differ in one profound way. Dean Fortin has been a councillor for the last six years. During that period, the city has made little progress on significant issues, becoming bogged down in endless studies and processes.

It is time for a change and a new approach. Rob Reid offers fresh ideas and useful business experience and would be better able to set the new course needed by the City of Victoria.

Similarly, council's ineffectiveness makes change important. Robert Randall, Lynn Hunter and Barry Hobbis have all demonstrated that they would be assets to council; Randall brings welcome experience as a representative of downtown residents and regularly attends council meetings as an interested observer.

At the same time, Geoff Young and Charlayne Thornton-Joe stand out as incumbent candidates who deserve re-election.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

Not suprising that the TC is backing the pro-development team in Victoria. After all, without realtors and developers there wouldn't be anyone left to advertise in the paper!

Although I don't support Dean, I hardly think that it is fair to blame lack of progress in any municipality on one councillor. By that measure, Charlayne and Chris should also be dismissed.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

I got an endorsement from Monday Magazine:

City on the Verge

• Robert Randall: As well as being chair of the Downtown Resident’s Association and a familiar face at council meetings, Randall is a working artist and, as such, would be a much-needed strong voice for the arts on council.

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Woohooo! Go Rob!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#59 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

I got an endorsement from Monday Magazine:

City on the Verge

Rob - well done, and good luck Saturday.

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thanks! And thank you all for your feedback and support.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users