Photo

Western Speedway

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

Tonight I went to the races. I will post the photos later, but it was a lot of fun. I haven't been out there for a least three years but it was a good way to spend a sunday night.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,390 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

I hear ads for Western Speedway on the radio quite regularly but I have yet to go.

Those photos might convince me;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

haha western is alright, soon i will graduate to laguna seca though, but fond times at the redneck emporium of victoria though

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

I am really tired tonight, and sore....WOW.

Anyways I may post these photos tonight but It may not be until tomorrow. Time will tell my friends!!! :)

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

O.K. I promised you guys some photos.

here they go!!!

#6 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

Nice pics Scraper. Is it me or is the stands a little on the empty side? Don't tell me that Langfordians have lost that love and feeling for their favourite pastime.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Interesting. I like the black Gremlin.

I've never been out there.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

I went there for the demolition derby once. Now THAT was hillariously fun.
Imagine this: a dozen beat-up compact cars in a forty lap race with a track that is a FIGURE-EIGHT! Later on that evening they took a beat up old chev and drove it up a half-ramp just to see if they could flip it over completely and then land on its wheels again. And when it wasn't successful, half a dozen or so boys would simply roll the thing right-side up and try it again until it was completely out of commission.

#9 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Yes and there is many more people who attend that even too. I will see if I can get some photos of that too.

It was a lot of fun just hanging out in the pits and watching the drag races.

#10 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

is that a el camino i see there scaper??

appears to be a 1970, as this hombre knows his caminos:P

#11 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

yes it's a camino.....:)

We should get a group to out and watch the figure 8s

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,390 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Yikes. Thanks for the photos. I've never, ever, seen what its like on the inside.

And now that I have I'm content ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

A friend of mine used to run in the mini figure eights, and I had another that used to run claimers. It's a fun saturday evening event.

#14 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

I like Western Speedway. They have held entertaining, and great races their. A few years ago they had the big rig trucks come and that was a blast. My friend and I love the dwarf stock cars. The can get up to 90 miles an hour. I try and go 3 or 4 times a year. I go for the special events. Have seen the sprint cars and they are fast a 50 lap race can be finished in under 25 minutes. Would like to see the track doubled in size. It is just to small for any good races. It is something like 2/5th of a mile or something. They need to upgrade facilities in order to get bigger and better races.

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

Saanich race car driver Bill Okell, 64, picked up two more trophies while racing in California at the end of October and set a new record in the process.

Over the weekend of Oct. 26 and 27, Okell took part in the annual Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships at the Buttonwillow Raceway near Bakersfield, Calif. This was his first time at the track in many years and his first time driving his own race car on the track.

Okell entered the 2019 race as the two-time defending champion and left with his title intact. He raced in the NASPORT Lite class and won both his races in the same 1964 MGB Roadster he’s been racing in for 44 years.

https://www.vicnews....-in-california/

for perseverance and toiling away from town in relative obscurity alone this guy should be indicted into the sports hall of fame here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2019 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users