Photo

Lakes in and around the ***CRD***.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

We're blessed with a great selection of clean, swimmable lakes, in and around the **CRD**.
I'm interested in hearing about great lakes that are off the beaten path as well. I've swam and/or canoed the obvious: Elk/ Beaver Lake, Thetis and Durance.
Can anybody tell me of other lakes that they love to visit on those hot summer days that are relatively close? Do you have any secret spots? Would you be willing to share them?
I know there must be some great spots maybe in the Malahat and the Sooke hills. Maybe around Duncan or Ladysmith. Maybe I'm missing some in my own backyard somewhere.
Any thoughts?

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

My map shows at least a dozen little lakes in the Highlands between Western Speedway in the south and Durrance Lake in the north. I've only been to Durrance.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Yeah. I've hiked a lot in the Highlands, and the ones that I've seen in person are for the most part ponds and swamps rather than lakes - even though they may be called lakes. Although maybe someone knows of some that are nice swimmable lakes in the Highlands. ?

#4 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

Pease lake in the Highlands is a cool spot for a dip. You'll find it by driving past the Durrance lake turn off and taking the next left. Pay close attention to the right hand side of the road just past a CRD parks trailhead and you're there. A super tiny beach lies less than a hundered meters from the road.

Prior lake is lots of fun, too. Just drive a bit further up Highlands road past the Upper Thetis trailhead. Bring lots of sunblock (and tarter sauce!) Good fishing when it's not busy:)

In the Sooke Hills, Sheilds, Grassie and Crabapple lakes are worth hiking a couple of hours in for, as you can camp there without dealing with the rednecks that go along with ungated logging roads. Buy a copy of the "Backroads Mapbook" for details. If you're brave, just start walking up Harbourview road or up the Charters river drainage off Sooke river road. Bring a map and compass and know how to use them.

On the Malahat, Spectacle lake is easy to access and offers both swimming and fishing for brook trout. Oliphant lake, an hour's easy hike from Spectacle, is beautifull too.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

The upper portion of the potholes, where the canyons start, offers some of the best swimming on the south island. Few people even on hot days, warm water on warmer days -- can't beat that close to the city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

^ This is no longer true with the camp graound so close to Leechtown. Still it is really nice.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Wait a minute...

GVRD??
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hey Ya mod that to CRD please :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Moddin's too good for that varmint! Banish him to Surrey!

#10 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Prior Lake...hahaha....man do I have a funny story about that lake.

I will keep it short and in good taste. It's a nudist beach. I found this out by shock...And from what I saw...I aint goin' back.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

Matheson Lake is real nice.

http://www.vancouver...m/parks/?id=444

I got to hand it to the CRD, if they do nothing else positive, they really run parks well.

http://www.crd.bc.ca...theson_lake.htm
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

The new boat launch at elk lake is really nice too.

#13 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:18 AM

Since I have moved this has been my swimming hole for the kids and I and even the pooch. There is trout fishing in this little lake and it is a 5 minute walk from my house. I do not think it even has a name. But it is in Sunheights Park. I remember the TC had an article on it a few years back as a hidden gem.

http://www.google.ca... ... 9&t=k&om=1

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

Sorry about the GVRD mishap. The paint fumes in my house must be messing with my brain. I, for some reason was thinking "Greater Victoria Regional District". But I can see why some of you would be offended.:)

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

Awesome info by the way guys. If the weather keeps, I'll try one of two of them this month!

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

CDR...

Capital Districtal Region?

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Oh for Christ's Sake.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

:smt043

#19 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

In case anyone's interested, that Unknown Victoria guy has a new story about the history of Elk Lake:

http://unknownvictor...playground.html

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

In case anyone's interested, that Unknown Victoria guy has a new story about the history of Elk Lake:

http://unknownvictor...playground.html

That's an excellent article, fact-wise. I knew none of that. It explains Pipeline Rd. that I had always wondered about. And that Toby Jug - no idea, very cool.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users