Joseph Boutilier | Victoria | Council - VV Endorsed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

He is only 18, but he has already spend four years on the City of Victoria Youth Council.

I think he could make a good councilor but reserve judgment until I meet him.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

His url is http://www.futureisnow.ca/

He is also a member of VV - we quite a few potential councilors on here.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Sweet! I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

http://geocities.com...ut/support.html

he wants to run an volunteer campaign. Gutsy, idealistic and something I could get behind

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

This is only a small portion of his housing vision. Read the whole thing at http://geocities.com.../C_housing.html Some of it makes a lot of sense, some of it not so much. I give him kudos though for communicating his vision well and using an inventive storytelling approach to illustrate his point. Unfortunately, until he's educated himself a bit further on how affordable housing gets built, I can't vote for him.

What are we Reacting to? Thanks to a lack of long-term planning and general insight, Victoria's bid to expand its population capacity is poisoned with a curse of irony.

The bigger half of our council will tell you that the sky-rocketing real estate prices in Victoria are market-driven, and the bigger half of our council is correct. But the local government's affect on housing should not be overlooked, and our reactive approach to obtaining what we want is boosting property taxes and increasing the cost of achieving what we need: Affordable housing.

There are still too many new buildings being created that aren't supported by their neighbours or their neighbourhoods. In large part, the city approves re-zoning applications and density and height-increases in these projects because it feels a certain responsibility to react to the demand for housing and support development interests.

In truth, these actions are misguided. By using the resources our neighbourhood associations willingly provide as volunteers, we can and must update neighbourhood plans and use them as strict guidelines and not suggestions, for approving development projects.

This way, neighbourhoods would grow in the desired and planned directions and zoning would be reflective of what genuinely made sense. What does this have to do with affordable housing? Without the relaxed, reactive and developer-friendly policies in Victoria, housing would increase through intelligent design and development that was not cost effective simply would not happen. Consequently, property values and taxes would be reduced to reasonable averages creating a more friendly community for personal, casual and small-business development and, of course, affordable housing.

It's time to stop resisting the wisdom of neighbourhood associations and community-interest groups and start to work with them, in conjunction with local developers, towards a smart, sustainable future.

Victoria is unique in that there is a mandatory requirement for developers to bring their preliminary designs to neighbourhood associations. In best case scenarios these neighbourhoods react by providing constructive suggestions which improve the project and tell the developers what is important to their neighbourhood. But too often I witness quite a different reaction. Cat-calling, name-calling, refusal to listen or even consider, refusal to educate themselves on smart growth policies, outright lies, misrepresentations, and elementary-school level hostility from adults. Furthermore, to get on the land use board of a neighbourhood association isn't always easy. Often that role is jealously guarded by a small group of citizens who have founded their own power base. In several neighbourhoods there are major questions about if the neighbourhood associations speak for all the neighbours. I certainly have not felt that mine speaks for (or listens to) me.

Now I am not against the idea of community planning. And I do not paint all neighbourhood associations with the same brush, there are many fine people with good ethics who volunteer for these associations. I also agree that neighbourhood plans need to be updated. I agree that neighbours need to be consulted and that development needs to know what neighbours are looking for. Both developers and neighbourhoods have asked for more certainty in planning.

But I wonder how Joseph thinks that affordable housing OR fairness in representation will result from turning over even more leadership responsibility to bodies of power that so far have not necessarily shown they can be mature in handling the responsibility that they have now? I would encourage him to attend neighbourhood meetings throughout the city and witness some of the behaviour I am talking about. And then ask himself how he will make sure that his new process will not just result turning even more power over to the "popular kids cliques" and result in even more NIMBYism to the detriment of the city as a whole.

I wonder if Joseph attended the Development 101 seminar last night? If not, it sounds like something he would benefit from. When making policies like this, it is pretty important to understand how things work. I think Marie Savage is planning to do another one soon, if not she would probably make time to do a tutorial.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#6 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hello all,

Indeed I am a fellow VV member, although I don't get on here nearly as much as I would like.

The decision to run the '$0 Donations' volunteer campaign was a difficult one, but ultimately I decided that, entering the race relatively late in the game, there was really no excuse not to walk the talk and preach my beliefs from the get go. I have had people tell me that I need to fundraise and need to spend as an investment, but it seemed a compromise to my platform and my beliefs. And while I recognize that compromise is often vital, it can also be one of the most dangerous things for politicians - especially ones entering a campaign with conscious but cautious optimism.

Having said that, I still support many local politicians that are going for the biggest budgets they can muster, and recognize that until the city really does invest in public education of elections issues, nothing less can be expected of them.

#7 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

But I wonder how Joseph thinks that affordable housing OR fairness in representation will result from turning over even more leadership responsibility to bodies of power that so far have not necessarily shown they can be mature in handling the responsibility that they have now? I would encourage him to attend neighbourhood meetings throughout the city and witness some of the behaviour I am talking about. And then ask himself how he will make sure that his new process will not just result turning even more power over to the "popular kids cliques" and result in even more NIMBYism to the detriment of the city as a whole.

I wonder if Joseph attended the Development 101 seminar last night? If not, it sounds like something he would benefit from. When making policies like this, it is pretty important to understand how things work. I think Marie Savage is planning to do another one soon, if not she would probably make time to do a tutorial.

Please let me know if another one approaches. I am always keen to participate in local education events.

However, my platform does not only push for more responsibility to be left on the shoulders of community associations, but also for the city to invest more in their stability and ensure fair representation and governance structures throughou the land use consultation process. I am priveleged to live in a neighbourhood (Vic West) where our land use committee is well attended and open-minded. I am not able to attend most meetings but I am free to drop in whenever I can and welcomed invitingly. That does not stop the fact that most developments in Vic West are not often truly supported by the residents here and developers ALWAYS lead the process. Through true community visioning, it would be possible for us to show developers the kind of buildings we wanted to see as our neighbours; and with better communication between the community associations and the city, it would also speed up the development process.

Community associations can work; I have attended many meetings with everyday citizens, developers, city planners and councilors all in attendence and they are productive - people get to realize what it is realistic for them to expect from developers, and developers are better able to direct their attention to the things a neighbourhood wants before they have already spent big money on an irrelevant proposal.

Again, I recognize that this vision is idealistic, but I think it should be recognized that community associations and people like yourself who are excluded from that representation alike see a need for more consistant structuring of the community-to-city policy process.

This is something I believe Wayne Hollohan was working very hard on earlier this year. I expected him to be running at this point but haven't heard anything. I don't know him well but his project is a prime example of a community resource that has to be supported while Victoria is still a development boom town.

#8 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Just laughing amusedly at my above comments. So much has changed since I posted that; who'd have thought that big-budgets and Hollohan would both emerge together so fast and furious on the election scene.

Just an update that my website is up on a permanent server and my complete platform is now available at www.futureisnow.ca. I will soon have an interactive map online and some videos as well, with any luck.

Secondly, I regret to say that I will not be able to attend the James Bay meeting on the 4th. I was looking forward to it beyond belief, and I have suspicions it will be the best of the bunch this election. Alas, I committed to participate in a community based-research conference in Vancouver on Tuesday before the date swap happened. This is especially disappointing because I have made my best efforts to connect with the James Bay neighbourhood and now find myself unable to reinforce that commitment. I do have an online list of other all-candidates meetings I'll be attending, however, and invite your questions by phone or email, as always.

#9 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

I just wanted to point out that I now have a google map demonstrating some of my opinions on specific locations and issues, for those more geographically-inclined. :)

Unfortunately, the site's software is being mean to us at the moment, which means it's not accessible from the header on my website. It is accessible through the updates page, however: http://www.futureisnow.ca/updates.html

I will post the multitude of surveys I have completed shortly, although most relevant information is already accessible through the content on my website.

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

Your google map implementation is brilliant, Joseph! Really well done and a great idea.

The city (and other candidates -- or councillors, once elected) could use that for inspiration.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

Holy crap! That map is fantastic.

#12 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

Here are a few surveys I've filled out.

Chamber of Commerce: http://www.victoriac...al/candidate/21

Victoria Votes: http://www.victoriavotes.ca/?q=node/35

Plan Victoria: http://www.planvicto...JosephBoutilier

UVSS Student's Survey:

Transportation

1. Do you support the implementation of extended late night transit until 2am on specific routes in the Greater Victoria Region?

Yes, absolutely. Late night services and amenities (including eateries), should be comprehensive and consistent, not dictated by our tourism traffic or local bars.

2. Will you take action on extending the galloping goose bike lane and have it connect directly to UVic?

Yes, if possible. I also believe it's important we review the role of the galloping goose trail as a commuting route first and a recreational space second. The trail should be cyclist and pedestrian-friendly, direct and intelligent. A winding, scenic route is not suitable for connecting Uvic to the rest of the trail.

Poverty and Health

3. Do you support safe-injection sites (similar to Vancouver) for the Capital Regional District?

First, we need to establish a permanent location for our needle exchange, and then it will be time to explore options for a safe-injection site. Having a site that is lobbied out of Victoria isn't helpful to anyone, however, and we must integrate new social services with extremely cautious planning and consultation.

4. In your opinion what are three concrete actions you would commit to that Municipalities can take on homelessness?

We need to be a stronger voice in requiring support from the provincial government, support non-profit and co-op housing, draft stricter social-planning requirements for new developments, increase direct consultation with citizens that are homeless and consider support for grassroots initiatives to address our lack of housing.

Waste

5. Would you plan on expanding curb side composting projects to include all of the CRD?

I would plan on bringing the curb-side composting program into Victoria and working to make it even more an integral part of our recycling program, incorporating support for apartments if possible. I would do as much to support the program in the CRD as my authority on council would permit.

6. Would you support a plan to eliminate the use of disposable bags in the region?

I would support a plan to eliminate non-biodegradable plastic bags immediately, while I can't imagine Victoria without, for instance, biodegradable doggie-bags. I would also support the eventual elimination of other needless plastic consumption from products such as disposable water bottles.

Housing

7. Do you support new bylaws that would allow for more then 4 unrelated people to live together and further housing densification?

Yes, provided that the space can safely and healthily accommodate as many individuals.

8. Do you support the development of new or regulating existing affordable, secondary suites?

Secondary suites should be encouraged, not discouraged, in the City of Victoria. It is hypocritical to approve large, high-density developments while barring our own citizens from providing more affordable spaces in their own residence.

#13 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

UDI Survey:

□ What is your overall blueprint for a sustainable Victoria? What specific and immediate initiatives would you propose as part of the sustainability framework for the city, and how will that impact development interests?

First and foremost, I want to re-establish plans for all areas of Victoria and offer developers a real framework for the kind of infrastructure we want to support and encourage. Right now there is too much wasted time and resources as developers blindly approach the council table with comprehensive new proposals only to be turned down because of a lack of shared vision. Council needs to be clear and upfront about its expectations, while remaining open to reviewing third-party ideas.

□ Independent of provincial and federal housing programs and funding, can you envision any ‘made in Victoria’ affordable housing solutions in social, market rental and market purchase housing? What are they, and what city and private sector roles would you champion?

There is massive missed opportunity for local solutions to creating new social housing through partnerships with commercial projects, property tax allowances and unique business models supporting housing for our young work force and decreasing the costs of community development.

□ Do you support the preferred Downtown Plan option for the future development of downtown? What, in terms as specific as possible, do you hope to accomplish in making this option a reality? What is your view of the current health of the downtown economy?

I do not support the preferred Downtown Plan because I believe our development can be more diverse and must be approached in smaller boundaries with a focus for the type of developments, not a simple question of yes or no to density targets. The health of the downtown economy is still strong, but not as sustainable as it should be. We have to invest locally and invest in the future, supporting a broader range of industries and initiatives.

□ Do you have a blueprint for a new central library, art gallery and other facilities designed to enrich downtown as the cultural capital of the region? What is that blueprint, what’s the timing, and what is your strategy for obtaining consensus amongst the region’s stakeholders for the capital funding for such new facilities, or for a go-it-alone option?

I do want to see revitalized arts, cultural and historic facilities and envision these as being architectural highlights of Victoria, showcasing a new level of design and triple bottom-line sustainability. Our resources are limited, but we do have a reputation of securing funding for the kind of projects that draw new visitors to Victoria and invigorate downtown vibrancy; I believe we can do it again.

□ How would you alter the development approval process and related policies to improve the working relationship and sense of collaboration between industry, community and the city?

See my first answer for more information, noting that I also envision more opportunities for formal and casual meetings with local development firms, agencies and NGOs to clarify and expand the possibilities for partnerships.

□ It’s conceivable the city will be less able to count on revenue contributions from new development during the next mayoral term. If faced with reduced development revenue, what is your strategy for funding infrastructure upgrades and public space improvements?

I believe that by exploring unique alternatives to balancing the costs of development of all kinds, physical and community-based, and by preparing for the future economically, we will be able to prioritize upgrades and improvements and ensure our revenue contributions stay relatively independent of the global economic situation. With the arrival of the 2010 olympics, the provincial government is also exploring ways to breathe new life into BC's presentation and infrastructure, and we can incorporate long-term developmental benefits into that wave of action.

□ What, in your view, are the major deficiencies in city operation or culture? What is your plan for improvement?

We have very little in terms of true vision - we are always in conflict with our neighbourhood associations and community stakeholders when it comes to development, and there is no need for this to hamper our ability to expand our vision and continue to build on our municipal framework. We should be looking to the future and investing in infrastructure when it makes economic sense, supporting our local industry and striving to break new ground in community progress and development progress. On November 15, open new doors and welcome the future into your home of Victoria BC.

#14 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

CANDIDATES FOR A BETTER DOWNTOWN VICTORIA
Questions for City of Victoria Council and Mayoral Candidates

1. Please list specific initiatives and proposals you will put forward to improve the livability of Downtown for its residents.

From my website at www.futureisnow.ca:
Expand identification of historic elements downtown with outdoor markings, signs, photos and interactive features for all ages.
- Increase downtown resident density through designs reflective of existing downtown neighbourhoods.
- Alter heritage designation definition to preserve unique structures from different eras and promote continuing downtown diversity.
- Boost the development of more supported, transitional and long-term housing throughout the downtown area with self-supporting facilities and resources to reduce cross-class conflict and miscommunication.
- Increase the amount of grassroots art projects and entertainment festivities in Market Square and other open venues.
- Increase the number of supervised or automatically-secure public washroom facilities, payphones, water fountains/dispensers and other basic services for tourists and citizens, male and female, homeless and housed, alike.
- Form a collective, community-owned, moderated and operated system of security cameras and features downtown, with a universal privacy policy to ensure complete transparency.
- Explore alternative methods of distributing information on local services and tourist attractions as well as self-guided tours using technology such as interactive texting for mobile phones, maps for GPS units, and bluetooth 'broadcasts' for PDAs and other devices.
- Preserve downtown greenspace at every opportunity, and encourage more green-themed development preserving a cohesive Garden City image.
- Create more 'park & ride' style lots on the outskirts of the core to encourage the use of public transportation downtown.
- Test the potential of car-free segments of the core by celebrating 'car-free' days in certain spaces and exploring unique ways of getting visitors and residents to the front doors of stores and services.
- Revive the municipal 'blue bike' program with local funding and added safety and security features.
- Review options for guiding the late-night entertainment scene to select downtown areas to accommodate business interests while improving safety, law and order.
- Provide clear pedestrian routes to and from existing attractions and create more public walkways around the waterfront to preserve public viewpoints and access.

2. Please state your opinion about, and a corresponding action you would propose that the City of Victoria adopt, on the following issues:

a. Park planning/green space
Preserve and enhance downtown greenspaces and encourage greenspace integration in collective downtown developments.
b. Late night downtown issues
Closing late-night eateries is not the solution to late night downtown issues. We need better security measures, urban design and transportation strategies to reduce strain on small portions of the urban core and encourage a healthier diversity in late-night consumers and 'night-life' locations.
c. Policing and safety
We need a larger focus on general law-enforcement and we also need to recognize that added security doesn't have to be costly to our community or our wallets. I support integrated police forces for investigative and road-safety initiatives, and community-owned security cameras and legal programs, along with support for restorative justice and community courts, to offer the Vic PD and our residents fresh options of addressing issues of safety and security with long-term objectives.
d. Continuing residential development
I support the growth of downtown residence and community, with higher-than-common density (locally) when we can develop according to cohesive neighbourhood and urban visions and ensuring a new standard for consultation. We also have to be more supportive of secondary-suites and affordable housing projects. We have to recognize that these creations also have potential to alleviate stress on local businesses and our economy in the future by providing spaces for potential employees and supporting downtown diversity.
e. Additional cultural/social amenities
We need to celebrate our existing arts and cultural community by integrating more collaborative programs in the community and encouraging a larger variety of downtown arts and entertainment events.
f. Commercial prosperity
I support improved even access to local small businesses and greater engagement among our commercial and residential communities in the downtown decision-making process, as well as broader, non-profit tourism initiatives, diversified industries with incentives for employers and manufacturers in the tech, arts and entertainment sectors, and investments in environmental and economic sustainability through renewable energy and infrastructure movements. We also need to consider diversifying our property tax standards for businesses that contribute to our economic climate, environment and social evolution.
Transportation planning
Ensure that public transportation is evenly accessible, not just for users but to the businesses and services it connects us to. Also, consider the creation of a free shuttle that goes between downtown attractions, with financial support from a network of businesses.
g. Infrastructure improvements
We should posses a much higher standard in infrastructure creation and maintenance, reflective of our property prices and demand. We need to work on environmental sustainability, access for people with disabilities, aesthetics and design elements that make new buildings more compatible with places of historical and cultural significance, and improve our downtown community planning process to ensure we reach beyond consultation and engage our citizens in brainstorming tomorrow.
h. Budget priorities
Addressing social issues is key to improving the downtown environment, which is, in turn, key to improving the independence and sustainability of our economy.
i. Property taxes
We need a larger diversity of property taxes, with lower rates for community services provided at reasonable rates (ie child care) and higher rates for residential properties only occupied for select months each year (ie vacation suites). We may also consider new incentives for businesses that have demonstrated long-time neighbourhood support and contributions and are pillars of our downtown community.

3. Please explain your plan to ensure that an effective Good Neighbour Agreement with respect to social service providers is put in place to avoid negative effects in the surrounding area.

I support the creation of a contract to be drafted between social service providers and neighbouring residents and businesses to provide forethought into potential conflicts and draft solutions for future reference. Social service providers need to have additional support from local government in coordinating policies and networks to ensure adequate safety, security and control of client traffic. I also believe we need more active opportunities for residents to contribute to downtown planning and visioning, and not after-the-fact consultation.

4. The Social Health of Downtown

a. There are 214 Non Profits funded by the United Way in Victoria. Funding Analysis shows that their volunteer base and number of funders is declining. Many of these Non Profits are charged with providing essential services for the social health of Victoria. Now that the economic climate is weakening these services are more important than ever. How would you work to support Non Profits in the community, and what role do you see the City playing in helping keep this sector strong?

The city needs to play a role in advocating, collaborating and strategizing to ensure that all NGOs have clear objectives without overlap and that priority funding is always available. We have also seen the potential for the downtown community and the business community to come together in exciting fundraising efforts and community economic development initiatives that can contribute collectively and cooperatively for the support of necessary social services.

b. We have a Coalition to end Homelessness, we have a plan, but we don't have all of the organizations working together yet. The new mayor and council will be charged in ensuring that this is resolved or the Coalition will not be successful and the problems will only get worse. How do you propose getting all 214 non-profits to come to the table and work together under the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness to provide a more seamless provision of services to those in need and stop providing a duplication of services and therefore a waste of valuable funding?

We need to start looking at alternative methods of communication. We need more front-line workers and 'front-line livers' on our advisory committees and more opportunities for representatives to communicate and offer input through public forums, online communication tools, referendums and City Hall events. We also have to make our Coalition more visible and mobile, bringing it into the community and encouraging coordinated volunteer events, campaigns, fundraisers and initiatives.

[Edit: The rest is below as it won't let me post the whole thing - it's too long!]

#15 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

[continued]

5. Making Plans become Realities

The City planning department, in cooperation with community associations and other stakeholder groups has created some excellent plans to ensure the success and vitality of downtown. Unfortunately some of these plans have been "in the works" for many years without much tangible progress on the ground. In particular we are concerned about the following four plans:

a. The Downtown Plan – The City needs not just to adopt this plan but also to consider how to activate it, fund it, and make sure things come to pass.

We need new energy and stalwart councillors who care about actions more than words. We need community 'watch-dog' organization to provide guidance and advocacy on civic plans and we need clear timelines and objectives for every plan and policy approved by council.

b. The Harbourfront Walkway Plan, which would connect the harbour from Ogden Point all the way up to the Selkirk trestle. Two key areas are the Belleville Terminal and the Blue Bridge.

This plan should be a top priority in terms of improving Victoria's livability and pedestrian-friendliness, and there is potential for an expanded mandate to see issues in close proximity to the harbourfront addressed simultaneously (such as the cycling havoc that ensues off the Johnson St. Bridge and revitalization of the nearby park).

c. An excellent plan adopted in 1992 entitled the Downtown Beautification Strategy which seems to have fallen into disuse.
d. The Greenways Plan which will make our city a more sustainable, walkable and liveable place.

Both these plans, along with a plan to expand Victoria's garden-city image and cohesive green-structure, could be implemented with a large amount of community support and not a particularly high price tag. It's a matter of providing guidelines, visions and logistical organizing; all things that city staff are well capable of under the right guidance from council.

Are you aware of all these initiatives? How will you move these ideas out of the "plans and incentives stage" and towards action and results?

Yes; actions and results have to come from of targets, dates and firm commitments.

6. Monitoring the Well-being of Downtown

Much of the progress downtown Victoria has made over the last few years has been the result of a very strong economic climate. There are signs that this climate is weakening, and the question on our minds is, “Have we made enough progress to sustain ourselves over the coming times?”

a. How would you provide diligence in monitoring the health of downtown retail and services?

Diversifying our demographics in terms of visitors and residents, ensuring we can afford to house or young workforce that contributes to local-businesses growth (as customers and employees), and push Victoria to its potential as an attractive destination for those drawn to witnessing exciting new initiatives in the environment, transportation, arts and culture and recreation. Furthermore, we have to take advantage of provincial grant money to revitalize our downtown core and to address civic issues and provincial objectives in simultaneous collaboration.

b. Are you willing to take a stand in supporting more residential density downtown as part of ensuring environmental, social and economic sustainability in our region?

Yes, it is possible to increase density without destroying the historic significance and cohesive vision of our downtown environments or building higher than our zoning and community plans suggest. We need a high standard in new developments, preserving the aesthetics and functionality of today's neighbourhoods and improving our social and environmental preparedness through smart design.

c. Are you prepared to take leadership in ensuring that downtown provides the cultural and educational resources appropriate to it's role as the hub of the provincial capital?

Yes. Please see my first answer for more information.

d. What kind of priority will you give issues such as building a new and up-to-date Central Library, encouraging institutions such as the Art Gallery, or University to come downtown?
The quality educational, cultural and historical attractions of Victoria have proved to be the most prosperous and valuable of our downtown investments, and we must continue this legacy with continued priority for the development of new facilities and amenities for residents and visitors. These proposals should be top priorities among tourism and economic-development initiatives.

#16 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

Your google map implementation is brilliant, Joseph! Really well done and a great idea.

Holy crap! That map is fantastic.

Thanks guys - I've adopted my obsession for mapping from working at YouthCore (I like to use our youth map at YouthCore.ca as an example of what the city could create for general services and amenities. With GPS waypoint integration and text-for-info support at special locations downtown, the possibilities are endless. Unfortunately, I think City Hall is still a long way off from embracing this kind of technology. (Although I suppose an election facebook group is a first step, of kinds).

#17 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

I just saw this questionaire on Rob's thread and realized I had overlooked it when posting here.

1. Do you favour the re-opening of a fixed site needle exchange in the city of Victoria?

Yes, absolutely. This has to be a top priority for Victoria, and City Council has to be firm in the importance of its continued existence downtown.

2. Do you support the opening of a safe consumption site (like that of InSite in Vancouver) for the City of Victoria?

First, we need to establish a permanent location for our needle exchange, and then it will be time to explore options for a safe-injection site. Having a site that is lobbied out of Victoria isn't helpful to anyone, however, and we must integrate new social services with cautious planning, intelligent strategy, and consultation from across the board, incorporating the feedback of front line workers, clients and businesses also.

3. What does the term harm reduction mean to you?

Harm reduction is death reduction. It is the recognition that sometimes issues cannot be wiped away by all of our powers, and sometimes the next best thing is to allow the same activities to take place in safer environments and situations. Ideal harm reduction is the encouragement of safer risks and the creation of more opportunities for sustainable change and action.

4. What role do you see harm reduction playing in the creation of a healthy, thriving Victoria?

There are so many issues affecting Victoria right now that require harm reduction solutions, from drug-use and alcohol addictions, to mental health and homelessness issues, sometimes the best we can do is offer alternatives to the most dangerous elements of the unfortunate situations too many of our citizens are in because the irresponsible actions of past generations and government bodies.

5. What actions will you take to ensure the City of Victoria follows the principals of harm reduction?

Better community consultation explaining the true benefits, values and concerns related to various methods of harm reduction with input from NGO agencies and the staff and volunteers who know what they're talking about, as well as more opportunities for mediated discussions with businesses and urban stake holders that have their own conditions that the City can help meet. Also, strong advocacy within City Hall and to the provincial and federal governments is a lacking aspect of our current structure.

6. What is your position on the current 'war on drugs' and the Victoria Police Department’s approach to substance use and users?

The activities of our police force have very little affect on the actual negative drug-related situations in Victoria. The worst and arguably real criminals are hard-drug manufacturers and traffickers, not the users and traders who receive the most punishment. Again, this is something we need to work with the province to improve, but new strategies and opportunities for consultation within the police department are also in need. Furthermore, I propose new public campaigns to inform our citizens of their legal rights on issues such as searches, arrests, and the use of tasers.

7. What, if any, alternative approaches to current drug laws have you considered? Please describe.

Most of the laws related to drugs that we, as a City, democratically, could realistically look at changing are already not enforced 99% of the time. This is obviously not an optimal situation in the long run, however, and I would encourage a review of law-enforcement policies and by-laws related to drugs on a local scale at any opportunity.

8. What further commitments or additional comments would you like to make on your position on drug use and harm reduction, as they affect your candidacy?

Victoria is politically between a rock and a hard place, relying on funding from government bodies that will not support many of the fundamental values of our citizens or the social crises we are facing. We cannot let this stop our progress, as we fight for better contribution and a higher standard of social and environmental services throughout the region. Harm reduction has the potential to solve many of our biggest issues, and we cannot let those who fail to think outside the miniature matchboxes of conformity dictate our fate. Instead, we must strategize for revitalized sustainability, and recognize that as soon as we're ready to strive for it, the future is now.

For more information please visit my website at http://www.futureisnow.ca/

#18 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

The following survey has caused a bit of a stir among candidates - definitely a shift away from the everyday questionaire-issues.

1) Horse-drawn carriages: Is it time for this tradition to come to an end? Our campaigns on the streets over the last two years would say this is the case. People are upset, with virtually no maintained records of the regularly occurring accidents and incidents, inherently exposing both humans and horses to dangerous accidents. Daily, we see horses coerced to walk on hard concrete, amidst busy traffic, breathing in fumes, and in the heat, rain and cold of Victoria. Would you support a ban on horse-drawn carriages in Victoria?

2) Housing rentals for pet owners: In Victoria, finding a home for people with pets can be a challenging task. Other provinces, such as Ontario, prevent discrimination of this kind. Unfortunately, pets may be dropped off at shelters when people can’t find appropriate housing. Would you be supportive of opening up residential bylaws in this way, giving people with pets an equal and fair chance to find homes to rent without feeling pressure to sacrifice their dependents?

3) Vegan foods in City gatherings: The UN report ‘Livestock’s Long Shadow’ revealed that animal agribusiness (meat, dairy, eggs, etc) contributes to 18% of global greenhouse emissions, which is more than the entire transportation sector (cars, planes, etc). As well, Friends of Animals believes there are considerable ethical questions about exploiting other animals for our own pleasure. Would you be supportive of ensuring that there are always vegan foods offered at City events – perhaps even all-vegan food choices in light of these issues, and also encourage more local education on the significant impact of our food choices?

4) The East Coast Seal Slaughter: While this occurs on the other side of the country, it’s an issue Friends of Animals has worked on for decades. We feel that there is not enough expressed opposition to this, as every spring there are hundreds of thousands of seals battered and killed for their fur. Canadians really need to step up to help bring this massacre to an end. One step Victoria could take would be to enact a city-wide ban on all seal products (mainly their fur and seal-oil capsules). Would you support such a ban?

1) Horse-Drawn Carriages

I would support new research and observation of conduct of our horse-drawn carriage outfits to ensure that best practices are kept for humans and animals alike. I would not shy away from retracting licenses from any business demonstrating cruelty to animals, and would welcome reports on the issue from government bodies and advocates alike. I believe we can also make Victoria more animal friendly, not just for pets but for working creatures that contribute to our economy often with little or no respect and health provisions granted in return.

2) Housing Rentals for Pet Owners

I think we should look at by-laws for circumstances where landlords have no reasonable grounds to disallow pet-owners from occupying their residences. We can also remove discrimination and conflict through education and mediated consultation between land-lord organizations and agencies and pet owners in Victoria. An equally large issue is one of pet-owners that are also homeless and unable to take advantage of limited shelter spaces without space or food for their dogs (and sometimes cats). We should look into providing basic shelter facilities for pet-owners also.

3) Vegan Foods at City Functions

City Hall and its public functions have taken to offering vegetarian foods in almost all circumstances. The natural next step is to offer local and vegan food regularly and in some cases exclusively. Offering 'specialty' foods as a norm is a great way to introduce people to dietary/ethical concepts and demonstrate how sacrifices in health, nutrition and taste don't often have to be made for them to be practiced.

4) East Coast Seal Kill

I think there are many pressing environmental issues that Victoria could effect from banning and/or taxing wasteful and harmful products.

Some natural first steps would include campaigns to eliminate plastic bag and water bottle use and consumption. We also need to collaborate more effectively with outside law enforcement agencies to improve control of illegal imports/exports entering Victoria. These materials aren't limited to illegal drugs, but also include poached animals and bi-products. We have to start thinking outside the box of our city core and recognize how we affect thousands of global environmental factors.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

Joseph, just so you know, you've received an endorsement from VV.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

I noticed that - I've tried my best to participate openly and consistently here on VV and it's nice to be recognized by this ever-more comprehensive, diverse and exciting discussion site.

Just thought I'd point out that my very brief homelessness intro is online at http://electionsvictoria.ca/ (not my best, unfortunately) and the recent Martlet article is also in cyber space at http://martlet.ca/vi...-optimistic-for . To make a couple quick corrections, I said (or meant to say) that the election in general is too financially-driven, not my own campaign. I am striving to get the word out through the internet, but also through extensive volunteer canvassing, meet and greets and other traditional methods that seem to have taken a back seat to mail-outs and signage in recent weeks.

Also, I just have to celebrate the fact that I have successfully ran a car-free campaign, with the exception of car-pooling 4 to a compact hybrid for a debate up in Saanich. I doubted it would work with putting signs up between Fairfield, Downtown and Vic West but it is possible! I'm not sure how much of John Luton's campaign has been driven, but I know that he too has found ways of distributing signs/flyers successfully by bike. Here is my shout-out to thank the many that offered to help out when my bike broke/was vandalized three times last week. Now...to more canvassing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users