Photo

All Candidates Meetings - Should we organize some?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Who out there is interested in organizing some all candidates meeting for the local elections? I would be interested in working with people to put some on in late October.

Bernard

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

I'd certainly volunteer some time to help, but I am not interested in taking any kind of leadership role.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 nwoods

nwoods
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'd be happy to help out in organizing the meetings, I think that would be a really good idea!

#4 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

Who out there is interested in organizing some all candidates meeting for the local elections? I would be interested in working with people to put some on in late October.

Bernard

------ I ,,, like the other's ,,, would like help ------

can I suggest that ,
we hold one on the "Lawn-bowling Greens"
at Cridge-Park ...!

and , another one ( about homelessness ),
on the corner under the tree's ...!

ted...

(perhaps one more about,,,
selling identical tee-shirts on Government St )

ie: pick a shop , they're all selling the same thing...!

next ...? we move on to the coffee-shop's...!

etc...

;{-

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

We are an online forum - Can we bring the discussion to cyberspace?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#6 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

We are an online forum - Can we bring the discussion to cyberspace?

And you can even have it real-time :eek: - if you are (a) willing to teach some candidates a little extra computer stuff, (b) set up an IRC channel where only candidates have voice, and © convince the candidates that no-one's going to muck with what they say. None of these alone are technically impossible. Anybody willing to pony up the bandwidth and CPU power?
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

Perhaps voice chat would work better, not all candidates might be able to chat as fast as they talk
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

True - plus our issues section of the election forum will act as a text based all candidates forum in a sense. Although for those politicians who don't speak their own words we members are going to have to go hunting for their positions on the issues we care about.

#9 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

True - plus our issues section of the election forum will act as a text based all candidates forum in a sense. Although for those politicians who don't speak their own words we members are going to have to go hunting for their positions on the issues we care about.

--- you mean like questioning --------

the guy from "front-runner's" ,
about his knowledge of the homeless issue ...?

he thinks Victoria can get the Provincial-Liberals ,
to cough-up the fund's , to solve the homeless problem...!

-- Yes , the same BC-Liberal's who still think ,
the "disabled' can rent apts (in Victoria-Vancouver, etc.)
for $375.00 per month ...

In fact , after adding $50/month to the $325.00 the BC-gov was paying,
CLUAD-RICHMOND SAID ; "it's the most GENERIOUS-raze welfare has ever given"

>>>>>>> check the Hansard-Blues <<<<<<<<

it was just after they Voted THEMSELVES a 29% pay-raze ...!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched it live from the Hansard-TV signal ....

----- So to hear a candidate for Mayor of Victoria,
saying that he'll look for solution's to the homeless problem ,,,
from the Provincial-Government...?????

;{- ( how sad & ignorant ) ....

-- it is Down-loading from the Federal-Government ,
onto the Province's ,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
who down-loaded the problem to the municipal-level ,
that caused the problem...!!!!!

And he's going to look to the BC liberal's,

(who by the way ,CANCELLED the Fall-sitting
for the Provincial-Government)

BECAUSE THERE WAS NO NEED TO CREATE LEGISLATION ON ANY ISSUE ...!

Who's he kidding ... ( running with blinder's on ...? )

He's going to look to these clown's , to do as he ask's...??????????

Come on Victoria , we can do better .

ted...

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

I know that I do not have the time or energy to put together anything in the next two months.

Another idea I would like to explore is the idea of setting a regular time and place for candidates to come to socially meet whomever shows up.

If there was a room somewhere that some group would be willing to donate - say the gym at the old Burnside school as an example - we could then set up space for candidates to set up booths, wander around or whatever and then let the public drop in and talk to whomever they want.

I am trying to think of a way to engage people better than the old all candidates meeting format.

If one did this from say 4 pm to 10 pm twice a week from mid October to Mid November you could build a momentum for people to come out and meet the candidates and talk with them.

For the candidates the benefit would be to meet each other and to meet the people in the city that are more most motivated about local politics. Candidates should be able to find more active supporters as well and be able to talk with the sort of people that tell their friends, neighbours and family about the local election.

thoughts?
Comments?

I would be willing to host a meeting to talk about this idea or all candidates meetings at my house next week.

#11 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi Bernard, I think its an excellent idea - one I would enjoy participating in. I can try to assist with securing space through the Fairfield, Oaklands and Fernwood Community Assciations if you like. Another thought - perhaps we could rotate throughout the various areas - one venue per area per week. May be easier to get space - and more accomodating to candidates and voters all around.

Soon, Sue
www.susanwoodsforvictoria.com

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

I know that I do not have the time or energy to put together anything in the next two months.

Another idea I would like to explore is the idea of setting a regular time and place for candidates to come to socially meet whomever shows up.

If there was a room somewhere that some group would be willing to donate - say the gym at the old Burnside school as an example - we could then set up space for candidates to set up booths, wander around or whatever and then let the public drop in and talk to whomever they want.

I am trying to think of a way to engage people better than the old all candidates meeting format.

If one did this from say 4 pm to 10 pm twice a week from mid October to Mid November you could build a momentum for people to come out and meet the candidates and talk with them.

For the candidates the benefit would be to meet each other and to meet the people in the city that are more most motivated about local politics. Candidates should be able to find more active supporters as well and be able to talk with the sort of people that tell their friends, neighbours and family about the local election.

thoughts?
Comments?

I would be willing to host a meeting to talk about this idea or all candidates meetings at my house next week.

That does sound like it makes very good sense.

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

People interesting helping on something like this, please email me at bernard@shama.ca

Please give me a time you could meet to talk about the idea in the next week to ten days. Based on the responses I get over the weekend, I will let people know if and when an organizing meeting is going to be underway and where.

#14 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

Twice a week from 4 to 10 sounds like an awfully big time commitment for candidates -- maybe once a week is better?

Also, the all-candidates meetings held during the last election at the various community venues often didn't pull in all the candidates -- particularly not the incumbents. I went to three or four of those meetings, and most of the participants were new candidates. One meeting might have Incumbents X and Y, but not Incumbent Z, V, or D. Or Z would show up, but the others weren't there. And at another, no incumbents at all showed up. And so on.

It would be very nice if incumbents participated, but I wonder if some of them don't feel the need to do so quite as strongly as new candidates. You can't force them to come, and people get busy, so what's the incentive to make them participate? As incumbents, they might well think they don't need to campaign very much at all.

If voters can't attend, any chance of these open house events being recorded in any way? Or recording / taking minutes in some capacity and posting them online, just because if you did have events weekly, it's unlikely you'd have all the candidates at all events, nor would voters get to all events...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Twice a week from 4 to 10 sounds like an awfully big time commitment for candidates -- maybe once a week is better?

I suppose then candidates will attend the ones they can make it to.

#16 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

I figure if there is enough interest to get something like this started, we can hash out the details at a meeting.

I can see the benefit for all candidates of the Agora sort of forum versus the traditional all-candidates meetings. This different forum gives you a lot more interaction with the voters. In an all candidates meeting you are there for 3 hours and get to speak for a few minutes.

I am not wedded to my idea, but I am interested in exploring better ways for people to meet the candidates and vice versa

#17 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

I figure if there is enough interest to get something like this started, we can hash out the details at a meeting.

I can see the benefit for all candidates of the Agora sort of forum versus the traditional all-candidates meetings. This different forum gives you a lot more interaction with the voters. In an all candidates meeting you are there for 3 hours and get to speak for a few minutes.

I am not wedded to my idea, but I am interested in exploring better ways for people to meet the candidates and vice versa

-------- I hope homelessness is missed as an issue.

#18 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Bernard

Bernard, how about contacting the candidates and setting a 2 hour period, and a set forum, where they can take/answer questions and comments on the web site - make it an event for VV. I am fairly certain that Susan Woods would be interested - any who decline, or drop out - send their names to the TC.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

As I said, I needed to see some offline interest in the ideas and I would call a meeting. I have seen very little concrete expression of interest.

I have a new baby that is only three months old and my father in law is living with as he goes through his last months of life. Beyond that I am the normal busy that three boys aged 8, 11 and 13 foist on someone.

My point is that I am very busy and I can not commit to doing anything unless I have a core group of people wanting to be involved and leaving my commitment to pulling people together and assigning tasks.

Last call for interest in having a discussion about this in person - Sopranos at 9:30 on Thursday night. I will be there. Anyone else is welcome to come, if no one comes, this is officially buried.

#20 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

Listing of candidate forums that are already scheduled:

http://www.victoria...._abt_forums.pdf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users