BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#2861 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

I don't think Carey will be done until phase 4 is done, including the bike/sidewalk/boulevard configuration in the design you posted.  Only the Whole Foods section of that configuration is coming now.

I guess Morguard wants to use some of this space for storing stuff during construction.

#2862 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

That barrier right in the bike lane without building the replacement is just brutally stupid - an odd move from Saanich given that they are usually pretty good.

#2863 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

A Robbins parking car... with license plate readers was cruising around the underground parking at uptown.

It stopped and the  girl driving got out and put a wheel boot on this car.

I asked her if he was over parked or had done some other kind of illegal parking there.

She said no but his license plate came up on here plate reader as owing money from previous tickets so she was basically seizing his car and the only way he could get it back was to pay the outstanding debts.

This is crap those a-holes shouldn't be using their plate readers for that purpose.

With Robbins if they say you owe there is no repercussion there is no hearing there is no court there is nothing but it seems they can hold a car hostage even if the original tickets were not issued where the car is found parked in the future

Edited by HB, 11 October 2016 - 07:51 PM.

#2864 LJ

LJ
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:51 PM

"has been immobilized for your convenience" how thoughtful of them.

• Nparker and sebberry like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2865 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

yes absolutely so convenient for the shopper

#2866 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

"has been immobilized for your convenience"...

Possibly the best doublespeak since Orwell.

#2867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

I wonder what Uptown management thinks about this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2868 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

send them a link to this Mike if you are able see if they respond I think it is an abuse of the system. they have access to names and address of owners of vehicles when they read plates they should only be giving tickets out for parking infractions at the time not finding cars like this that did something in the past

The girl driving the car and putting the boot on the wheel appeared to be recently out of puberty

#2869 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

That sounds like right out of an episode of 'Parking Wars (https://en.wikipedia...ki/Parking_Wars )'

#2870 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

Jack the car up and exchange the wheel, then sell the car and get new plates, and drive to South America.

#2871 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:18 PM

Person used Robbins services (parking) and didn't pay last time. They come in again to use he services again. Robbins penalizes this customer for their past errors. Other businesses do this, why can't Robbins?

#2872 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Person used Robbins services (parking) and didn't pay last time. They come in again to use he services again. Robbins penalizes this customer for their past errors. Other businesses do this, why can't Robbins?

I think holding hostage something worth hundreds of times the sum of the money owed is extortion, is it not? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2873 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

. they have access to names and address of owners of vehicles when they read plates

I don't think they do, actually.  When tickets are written, the plate is recorded.  This ends up in their ALPR database and they deface the vehicle with their boot when they drive past and get a hit. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2874 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

What other businesses have done this?

#2875 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:18 AM

I got a ticket from Robbins once and weeks later got a bill in the mail from them ..they had my name address and all of my vehicle data including year make model

• sebberry likes this

#2876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

How do we know it was the same driver who received the ticket? The person walking out of the store might be in for quite a shock.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2877 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

How do we know it was the same driver who received the ticket? The person walking out of the store might be in for quite a shock.

A shock indeed if you were just on your way to have some important surgery and now some inconsiderate person has crippled your vehicle.

#2878 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:24 AM

Well if it was a friend or family member who got it and never told them they might not want to loan out their vehicle again.

I'm sure they take it right off if you VISA in your payment.  I would also be surprised if they can do this from day 1.  I'm sure it's after a good couple of months of non-payment.

These parking companies don't have the same mechanisms as municipalities to force payment (i.e., making you pay it when you renew your licence).  So they have to nab you when you park on any of the lots they operate, or send it to a collection agency.

#2879 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:28 AM

I'm not sure if municipalities have the power to make you pay parking tickets when renewing, or is that really the case?

Know it all.

#2880 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

^sounds like no, just Translink has this for fare evasion.  They have it in Ontario.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users