BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#2881 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:30 AM

I just find it odd this was at Uptown, which is free parking. Does Robbins operate a 'free' parking lot?

• Matt in Langford likes this

#2882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:37 AM

Yes, they also patrol the Hudson District parking spaces.

They enforce the parking restrictions and use their patrols as opportunities to boot cars if they find them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2883 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

"has been immobilized for your convenience" how thoughtful of them.

It is more convenient than the alternative: coming back to find your car has been towed and you have to get to the yard to retrieve your vehicle.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2884 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

This is episode is the main reason i avoid all Robbins parking lots.  

If you read, in small print, at the bottom of their parking signs, by paying them to park in their lot, you agree to providing them the right to access your personal information through your licence plate.

• JanionGuy likes this

#2885 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

This is episode is the main reason i avoid all Robbins parking lots.  

If you read, in small print, at the bottom of their parking signs, by paying them to park in their lot, you agree to providing them the right to access your personal information through your licence plate.

That is realistic for pay lots. It isn't for places like Uptown. You aren't going to park across the the street for your big Walmart shop (maybe that doesn't apply to you personally, I'm just saying that your 'solution' doesn't work for most people).

#2886 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

He can't do a big Walmart shop and fit it all in his future Janion unit.  Best solution to this problem and most others as well is just to bike there.

• JanionGuy and Daveyboy like this

#2887 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

Jack the car up and exchange the wheel, then sell the car and get new plates, and drive to South America.

Yeah, that's a bad boot they are using, most of them cover up the hub of the wheel so that you can't remove it.

Put your spare on the car, drive home, phone Robbins and offer them their boot back for double whatever your parking fine was.

• jonny likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2888 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:53 PM

What they are trying to do is catch people that work at Uptown from parking there all day.  I believe Uptown is 4 hours maximum parking.  I know people that work there, park for 4 hours, then move their car at lunch time across to Save on Foods parking lot or on the street, do the reverse the next day.

Uptown has so much empty parking, I wonder if they offer long term monthly parking. 

#2889 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

What they are trying to do is catch people that work at Uptown from parking there all day.  I believe Uptown is 4 hours maximum parking.  I know people that work there, park for 4 hours, then move their car at lunch time across to Save on Foods parking lot or on the street, do the reverse the next day.

Uptown has so much empty parking, I wonder if they offer long term monthly parking. 

that's not what they were doing if you read the original post and also read the yellow letter it had nothing to do with illegal parking it had to do with outstanding tickets

#2890 Ashling

Ashling
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

Alright, I'd like to set the record straight to the best of my ability here.

I'll state right now that I do not know everything, And the information I share is based upon personal knowledge of how parking at uptown works and my own dealings with Robins parking. That said, I'll begin.

For starters, Uptown mall has always had Robins parking as parking enforcement. The entire 6 levels (P2 red all the way up to L4) are a timed lot with a 4Hr limit. After four hours Robins does reserve the right to ticket any vehicles found exceeding this time limit. There are ways around this, there are 3 long term parking meters. One is on P2 red, P1 purple And L2 green. If you want to stay for longer than 4 hours you can buy additional time at either of those meters. As for designated staff parking. I'm aware that p2 red is all designated staff parking. There are marked stalls in P1 purple and green, L2 and L3 green. The staff stall are also patrolled though. If you work for a business in uptown you can acquire an uptown pass from them (some business make their employee's pay for these permits and others do not) or you can contact Robins and buy monthly parking from them yourself. 

As for vehicles being booted on the property. I know Morguard (the property management company that runs Uptown mall) is aware that Robins parking boots vehicles on their lot. If a vehicle is to be booted at Uptown, they need to accumulate multiple tickets in the mall alone. If a car has a bunch of tickets at say a parking lot down town, Robins won't get permission to boot. 

Having been booted myself, It sucked i'm not going to lie, I was able to get this information from that girl you saw HB.

send them a link to this Mike if you are able see if they respond I think it is an abuse of the system. they have access to names and address of owners of vehicles when they read plates they should only be giving tickets out for parking infractions at the time not finding cars like this that did something in the past

The girl driving the car and putting the boot on the wheel appeared to be recently out of puberty

A Robbins parking car... with license plate readers was cruising around the underground parking at uptown.

It stopped and the  girl driving got out and put a wheel boot on this car.

I asked her if he was over parked or had done some other kind of illegal parking there.

She said no but his license plate came up on here plate reader as owing money from previous tickets so she was basically seizing his car and the only way he could get it back was to pay the outstanding debts.

This is crap those a-holes shouldn't be using their plate readers for that purpose.

With Robbins if they say you owe there is no repercussion there is no hearing there is no court there is nothing but it seems they can hold a car hostage even if the original tickets were not issued where the car is found parked in the future

• Mike K. likes this

#2891 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

Isn't there a Robbins thread?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2892 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

Isn't there a Robbins thread?

If there isn't, there should be. 

Come on folks, please don't make me use this again.

off-topic.jpg

• LocalMom likes this

#2893 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Uptown has announced that Whole Foods Market opens November 2nd.

• LocalMom and sdwright.vic like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2894 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

This is one of many reasons I never park in Robbins pay parking lots.

#2895 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

Whole Foods is planning to open on November 2nd. They are currently recruiting staff.

Uptown has announced that Whole Foods Market opens November 2nd.

You read it here first  :rtfm:

• Mike K., Bingo and 57WestHills like this

#2896 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

You read it here first  :rtfm:

That would be November 2nd, 2016

#2897 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:18 PM

Actually I read it on a Banner on Vernon / Saanich rd  1 day before it was posted here.

#2898 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:08 AM

Ah, but Citified had an article published on September 7th indicating the November opening, thanks to thundergun's tip: http://victoria.citi...ek-of-november/

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2899 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

For starters, Uptown mall has always had Robins parking as parking enforcement. The entire 6 levels (P2 red all the way up to L4) are a timed lot with a 4Hr limit. After four hours Robins does reserve the right to ticket any vehicles found exceeding this time limit. There are ways around this, there are 3 long term parking meters. One is on P2 red, P1 purple And L2 green. If you want to stay for longer than 4 hours you can buy additional time at either of those meters. As for designated staff parking. I'm aware that p2 red is all designated staff parking. There are marked stalls in P1 purple and green, L2 and L3 green. The staff stall are also patrolled though. If you work for a business in uptown you can acquire an uptown pass from them (some business make their employee's pay for these permits and others do not) or you can contact Robins and buy monthly parking from them yourself. 

I started working at Uptown in late 2011 and purchased a staff parking pass for $30, which can be reimbursed if i want to give up the pass. No restrictions as far as i know. Can park in P2 any day, for any time period i choose.

#2900 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

Saw some photos of the kitchen at WF. Looks pretty deluxe.

Typically this time of year in Victoria is a good time to hire decent cooks as the seasonal slowdown hits. This year however they have all been sucked up by WF, local restaurants are still scrambling. Sounds like I left just in time. :)

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users