BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#3041 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

Good luck finding an anchor at Uptown. No anchor shops. (Wal-Mart actually has anchors but they're too fancy for me.)

Are you kidding? There's a glut on the market right now.

#3042 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

I would predict a Muji... seems to fit in with the other non anchors.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3043 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

I would predict a Muji... seems to fit in with the other non anchors.

I'd expect a MiniSo before a Muji, but you never know! MiniSo is expanding aggressively in Vancouver, and occupies a strange market somewhere between Dollarama, Muji, Daiso, and Uniqlo. The introduction and proliferation of Asian chain brands in Vancouver has been striking.

Both Simons and Uniqlo have been expanding in Canada, so those are a couple other options with a range of potential store sizes.

#3044 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Maybe a JYSK.

#3045 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

The introduction and proliferation of Asian chain brands in Vancouver has been striking.

That's because they are serving the demographic that is overrunning this once great country of ours.

Weaboos.

#3046 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

That's because they are serving the demographic that is overrunning this once great country of ours...

Please tell me you meant that as sarcasm.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3047 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

Please tell me you meant that as sarcasm.

The first line was meant to raise eyebrows, hackles and outrage levels that I was about to make a racist, intolerant suggestion.

The second line was intended to deflate that notion.

But there wasn't really any sarcasm involved...

#3048 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

Good luck finding an anchor at Uptown. No anchor shops. (Wal-Mart actually has anchors but they're too fancy for me.)

They need to fill the vacant retail and office space they have had for years. Seems like every new tenant just replaces one that has left.

#3049 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

BTW... is Phase 3 ever going to get built or are the holding off till they find and anchor?

I was told who the anchor tenant was for Phase 3 but I have forgotten.  I want to say Nordstrom, but could be wrong, it was a major fashion retailer thou

I've heard nothing about schedule.  The last I heard it was to built right after Phase 2, but it just died right after.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3050 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

You know, the Google reviews for Uptown may be more informative than I realize. We're all familiar with the contradictory and inconsistent attitudes re: development and redevelopment in Victoria. Even if you give people a cat, some of them will complain because it's too much like a dog.

To summarize: abundant & convenient parking, but not enough convenient parking. Many budget options, but too high end. Outdoor shopping centres are not appropriate for Victoria, even though outdoor shopping centres have always been big in Victoria (Town & Country was the first major one, lest we forget). Lots of variety but not enough variety. Many places to eat but not enough places to eat.

Had to chuckle at the "overwhelming layout" comment. Really...um, Uptown....overwhelming? Good God must've been written by the same person who gets "confused" driving on our rinky dinky little roundabout on the PBH out at the airport.

In that case I hope that poor soul pops a Valium or three before travelling abroad and attempting to navigate, say, the West Edmonton Mall, the South Coast Plaza in California, the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu or the Mall of America in Minnesota 'cuz if you think getting from Noodle Box to the Shaw service center is challenging at wee little Uptown, I guarantee those other malls - which are actually BIG - will most assuredly really_ really hurt your poor little head.....

#3051 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

To be fair, navigating West Edmonton Mall is easier because if you miss the shop you are looking for there will be another one of those coming right up - like a Wraparound Background in a cheap cartoon.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Nparker and 1 other like this

#3052 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thank you for the heads-up, Sdwright!

Discount apparel retailer Premium Label Outlet coming soon to Uptown Shopping Centre

• sdwright.vic likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3053 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

What's happening with the residential mid rise across from Brown's, that has seemingly been promised since forever....?

#3054 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

It's not proceeding any time soon. For a while there was even a plan afoot to convert the concept into an office complex, believe it or not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3055 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:35 AM

What's happening with the residential mid-rise across from Brown's...

It's not proceeding any time soon...

With a strong demand for residential units and money as cheap as it's going to get, is there a reason behind the delay?

#3056 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:44 AM

^no one knows, but I do recall they could only do rentals or condos, something in Mortguard rules says they could only do one as a REIT

#3057 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

I thought they would of had to have partnered with someone to do condos? That rentals they could do solo?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3058 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

They can’t do condos but they can do rentals. An REIT leases or rents out their properties.

Know it all.

#3059 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

there you go then.  When I talked to them 3 or so years ago there were no plans to partner nor do I think they wanted a partner

#3060 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

I thought they were going to sell it to someone like RealStar like what Chard did with Yello.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users