BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

I am confused as to where the residential component is supposed to go.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

I'm guessing that the building on the northwest corner will be structured in such a way that it doubles as a pedestal for a tower.

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:58 AM

I still say this project will be a huge step up from what's there now.

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

Anybody know where they're going to put space mountain?

#25 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

Can't you see it? It's right next to never-never land.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

True, this entire concept for the new T&C seems very Disney-esque, but let's face it almost anything has to be an improvement over the current Jetson-era strip mall gone bad.

#27 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

PCL have picked up this job. My hats off to them for picking up the single largest construction project the island has ever seen.

Concert Properties is rumored to have the residential towers, but those won't start for several years.

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

PCL have picked up this job. My hats off to them for picking up the single largest construction project the island has ever seen.

Concert Properties is rumored to have the residential towers, but those won't start for several years.

It's not Concert, but another large development firm has taken a great interest in the development and is currently in negotiations with Morguard on the residential portion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I think Bear Mountain, Dockside, Royal Bay are all bigger. This one is only costing somewhere in the order of 100 million I mean The Falls almost cost as much by itself. IT makes me worry about finishing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

^Maybe it's cheap because it's mostly lowrise...I hope.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Is there a practice where the retailers share a part of the costs? You see those big box stores - the entire storefronts dressed up for the "look" of the store. The retailer itself must be fronting a portion of the cost in those circumstances. I'd expect to see similar dressed-up storefronts for this dev. Not that this idea is reassuring...but it may explain the meager budget.

#33 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

What I mean is this is Victoria's largest single phased project. Dockside is being built over 7 years and who knows if they will ever finish if the economy collapses. Ditto for Bear Mountain and Royal Bay.

At the rate the eastern construction economy is collapsing, I suspect 2007 will be a different story from previous banner years. Speaking of that I should open a new topic on this all together.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

The eastern economy is different than the western economy. At-present western Canada is Canada's economic powerhouse and with aging boomers, the Olympics and Canada's most favourable place to retire Victoria/Vancouver have a safety buffer in place that the east does not.

Interest rates will also fall by 1% in 2007, further helping to sustain interest in real-estate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

Traffic is a MAJOR :shock: problem in around Town & Country, Douglas, Mayfair now. What will it be like once the New T&C and the new Real Cdn Superstore are finished???

Victoria and Saanich at some point have to realize traffic will increase regardless of how much improvements are made to transit. Transit will handle a percentage of the newly created traffic congestion, but it still means more traffic will all mold into this disaster area. Traffic on Sunday afternoon should not be backed up on Douglas Street from Burnside to Saanich Rd. IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE. A proven fact :evil:

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hopefully they'll design exit and entranceways better with the new development.

#37 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

all of a sudden living in short street village is going to be a lot more attractive with the new TnC development going in

#38 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

Some Short Street residents have had problems (noise, etc.) with the 24 Hour drive-thru at McDonald's. It's amazing how close some of their windows/balconies are to the drive-thru. You can almost reach out and steal a fry...

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

What can you do though?
They moved in knowing it was there, and now they've decided they want it gone?
Sorry people...that's the price you pay for poor shopping.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

Saanich's mayor's on CFAX and says the res portion will definately be highrise along Ravine Way. Although he did dodge the question about height, he did say that Saanich considers 8 stories "highrise" - although I think he's open to higher.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users