- - - - -

Traveller's Inn bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#421 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

I thought that John was in Africa teaching hotel management to little kids :-)

#422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

http://www.timescolo...3674/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#423 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

^ I'm surprised that the operating companies of the bar and lounge are still in business if they are in fact connected with JA.

#424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

^ I'm surprised that the operating companies of the bar and lounge are still in business if they are in fact connected with JA.

They aren't.

The lounge/restaurant/ppol deck and banquet rooms are being run by an operator of an up-IslaND RESTAURANT, and they will leave on 60 days notice, if asked. The bar (Soprano's) is hoping to work out a deal with Wally Meng. Failing that, they have an appeal in the courts now.

All the hotel staff (front desk, maintenance, cleaners etc.) have been given lay-off notices but have been told they will be rehired immediately by Meng's company. However, they will all be probationary employees and can be dismissed without cause within 90 days. You'll note that all hotel employees outside of the bar staff at the Red Lion are of Asian descent.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#425 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

^ Thanks for that. I did read that article incorrectly. I knew you would know what's really going on there.

#426 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

[quote name='VicHockeyFan']They aren't.

The lounge/restaurant/ppol deck and banquet rooms are being run by an operator of an up-IslaND RESTAURANT, and they will leave on 60 days notice, if asked.

so did the staff in the lounge stay on or did the operators bring in their own people? there were some long term people there. i haven't been there for years but have fond memories. would be sorry to hear of job loss simply due to this circus.

#427 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

They aren't.

The lounge/restaurant/ppol deck and banquet rooms are being run by an operator of an up-IslaND RESTAURANT, and they will leave on 60 days notice, if asked. The bar (Soprano's) is hoping to work out a deal with Wally Meng. Failing that, they have an appeal in the courts now.

All the hotel staff (front desk, maintenance, cleaners etc.) have been given lay-off notices but have been told they will be rehired immediately by Meng's company. However, they will all be probationary employees and can be dismissed without cause within 90 days. You'll note that all hotel employees outside of the bar staff at the Red Lion are of Asian descent.

If Wally wants to terminate and rehire staff he may, as long as he compensate them properly first. Doesn't make too much sense to me to do that. If he thinks that he can lay people off and then re-hire them without providing notice or pay in lieu of notice then he should take the time to read employment standards!

#428 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

The Traveller's Inn at 1850 Douglas Street (immediately *south* of Paul's Motor Inn) has been closed since April 2011. It was the only hotel not part of the original bankruptcy but it eventually met the same fate as the others, despite being the only hotel in the chain located in the downtown core (as opposed to Rock Bay or Burnside Gorge, etc).

This hotel has been bought by an investor and they are aiming for a late July opening... a final name for the new hotel has not been decided on.

#429 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

John Asfar was known to brag that creditors would never get their hands on that particular building as it was in a family trust.

He underestimated the wrath of the CRA.

You might still be able to send him your money though if you hurry. http://www.travellersinn.com/

#430 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

ASFAR, Najib Emile Was born in Heliopolis Cairo, Egypt on May 1, 1931. He was fondly known as Papa DO by his 4 Grandchildren: Zozianna, Angelina, Zoltan, Kairos. Najib was the Executive Manager for Eastern Africa for Wyeth International until he moved his family to Victoria, Canada approx. three decades ago. He spent most of his life in Real Estate development/Apartment Building investments, with his final project (2010) being THE OVATION Condominium Complex on Esquimalt Road. He is survived by his Family and Friends that love him and will greatly miss him. Najib was a Papa to three children, John, Irene, Sacha; Husband to Lore; Grandfather, Brother, Father in-law, Uncle, Friend, Visionary, Businessman. Papa loved family, people, good coffee, dark chocolate and enjoyed life. He passed away peacefully at his daughters family home on July 11, 2011. He will be fondly remembered and greatly missed by all of us. God bless him, in Jesus name. Amen.

A Celebration of Life gathering will be held at Glendale Gardens on Quayle Road at 3 pm on August 3, 2011. RSVP: zizazz@telus.net please

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1TcVGVKQr

http://www.timescolo...3978/story.html

#431 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

The Traveller's Inn at 1850 Douglas Street (immediately *south* of Paul's Motor Inn) has been closed since April 2011. It was the only hotel not part of the original bankruptcy but it eventually met the same fate as the others, despite being the only hotel in the chain located in the downtown core (as opposed to Rock Bay or Burnside Gorge, etc).

This hotel has been bought by an investor and they are aiming for a late July opening... a final name for the new hotel has not been decided on.

Been open and running since July 1st. Not sure they have a new name yet.

#432 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Murph's Pub (Tally Ho) will close permanently at the end of September. The small loune facing the waterslide and the off-track betting centre will remain.

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

1961 Douglas (adjacent to Whitespot) has now changed much of its signage to indicate it is now called:

Capital
City Center Hotel

Maroon sign background, mixed with all the blue direction and services-list signs they left that didn't have the old hotel logo or name. Maybe eventually the colour scheme will move away from blue/white.

#434 sailor

sailor
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Been open and running since July 1st. Not sure they have a new name yet.

It's the 'Island Travel Inn'. They just haven't gotten around to changing the signs yet.

#435 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Is John Asfar still in town or did he actually go to Africa..

#436 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

^ If he is in town, I know a CRA guy that would like to meet him for lunch. :)

#437 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Is John Asfar still in town or did he actually go to Africa..

He was here on June 5th. He showed up at a court hearing on the sale of a Queens St. house (or maybe it was on Princess).

Robin Kimpton ended up be named the winning bidder, when he and one other offer came in at the court hearing.

#438 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Ohhh Victoria can look forward to possibly a second Kimpton Hotel. Wow!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#439 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

'Fortress-like' fence irks Victoria city staff

Security necessary at Rock Bay site, developer says

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist August 30, 2012

A security fence topped with curved spikes in front of an old motel in a gritty part of downtown creates "a fortress-like appearance" that sends the wrong message, say city staff who want it changed as a condition of redevelopment.

But after investing $30,000 in the fence, the owner of the property at 2828 Rock Bay Ave., located next to Streetlink's Rock Bay Landing, wonders if the city wouldn't be better served by waiting until the housing development is completed before passing judgment.

'Fortress-like' fence irks Victoria city staff

I think they should be able to put up any fence they want. It looks ok to me. Ian Laing is a good guy.

#440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

So ...Rock Bay is now a gritty part of downtown?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users