Traveller's Inn bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#441 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Directly across the street from the "offensive" fence in the old Romeos Pizza the drug store is putting up a few roll down steel shutter doors to protect the entire store.

Will we be seeing more comment from the city about this ?????????

What will the tourists think my god Rock Bay is turning into Compton.

#442 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Here he is again.
http://bcove.me/8zy12fv5

#443 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Honestly, the guy is hard to figure out. Surely it can not be better financially to run these the way he does. Where does he keep getting money from to buy them?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#444 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Honestly, the guy is hard to figure out. Surely it can not be better financially to run these the way he does. Where does he keep getting money from to buy them?

I have too many posts to review but I have made the statement before about how slum landlords operate (only making general comments and not referring to this case specifically).

What the City needs to do is vigourously enforce the bylaws and not allow known offenders to rezone or get variances on properties so that they can continue their plans.

#445 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

What the City needs to do is vigourously enforce the bylaws and not allow known offenders to rezone or get variances on properties so that they can continue their plans.

The City does have their "clean hands policy" that Kimpton is well aware of.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#446 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Is the logo a face with big eye brows and lips( Groucho Marx) or is it an island with 2 trees with the waves lapping at it??

YOU be the judge.

#447 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

I see ll kinds of Rorschach in that.

How about a bikini top and a clam shell?

#448 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Yes, it's definitely nip slip with a side of bacon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I see a burger with two stick men starting at each other under an awning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#450 seanpro

seanpro
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I see two pairs of jeans hovering over the ocean.

#451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

http://www.timescolo...singles-1.87936

Nor is life easy for those wanting to convert the motels into rental units. They must meet city of Victoria criteria covering everything from the size and affordability of units to the number of parking spots for vehicles and bikes, accessibility of storage, amount of green space, security and whether the proposed use fits into the official community plan.“We’ve seen some [conversions] that have been very successful and we’ve seen some that, unfortunately, have been absolutely disastrous, with everything from killings and fires and all sorts of things,” said Coun. Pamela Madoff.

• 3025 Douglas St.

Frustrated owner Mike Kelly said he’s thinking of razing the former two-storey Traveller’s Inn, installing a chain link fence around the property and letting it sit for one or two decades. “I’m just looking at my options.”

Drive by the site today and you’ll see signs advertising storage space and an aging motel, white with dark-grey doors, catering to long-stay tenants.

Developer and businessman Kelly, who paid $2.2 million for the property, is exasperated by the City of Victoria’s rejection of his proposal to convert the motel into affordable rental apartments.

I know Mike Kelly, a PR expert he's not.

• 1961 Douglas St.

The four-storey, 80-unit Capital City Centre hotel at the corner of Douglas and Discovery streets sold in May 2011 for $5.568 million, B.C. Assessment said. Directors of building owner Capital City Centre Hotel Ltd. are business partners Wally Meng and Jamie Wu, whose holdings include the Red Lion Inn and Suites at 3366 Douglas St. Meng was in the news recently in connection with a series of stabbings at the Red Lion in November, and faces five charges of aggravated assault.

See, it's all still about colourful characters!

• 760 Queens Ave.

Businessman and former Victoria council candidate Robin Kimpton, owner of two nearby properties, bought this three-storey former motel for $4.2 million in 2010.

With more than 80 rooms, the large motel near Blanshard Street advertises the best rates on the strip.

Kimpton said the hotel caters to a mix of short and long-term stays. His aim is to attract older residents who want to downsize from a house, although he plans to retain some rooms for hotel use. “I would love to cater to a seniors crowd.”

And I'd love to own Disneyland!

• 723 Field St.

Called Boutique Suites, it was purchased by Kimpton — who also owns the parking lot next door — in December 2010 for $2.75 million.

An advertisement for rental units is frank: “You may know this building as a tougher building, however, we have been working to turn this building around.”

Yowza!

http://www.timescolo...singles-1.87936
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#452 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

http://www.timescolo...ctoria-1.111444

Residents of a rundown Douglas Street motel are fighting eviction notices, arguing the owner is failing to comply with B.C.’s residential tenancy rules.

Those rules require that municipal permits be issued for a planned renovation before tenants can be evicted.

Owner Mike Kelly disagrees, saying he checked with the branch prior to issuing two-month eviction notices for 60 tenants at his motel, located at 3025 Douglas St.

Same Mike Kelly that owns the gravel pit in Shawnigan Lake that wants the contaminated soil. This guy can't escape controversy!

#453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

The 1961 Douglas hotel will be changing hands again at the end of this month.

Wally Meng and his partner Jamie are selling to the (former?) owner of the Airport Travelodge and Charles Dickens Pub.

#454 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Geepers, after all that court wrangling with employees and leases, that sure didn't last long.

#455 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Geepers, after all that court wrangling with employees and leases, that sure didn't last long.

One of the partners went nutty with a pair of scissors, that's probably as much a part of it.

#456 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

^ Yes I remember when Wally blew a gasket at the Red Lion. I hope he is on some meds now and getting his act together.

#457 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

http://www.timescolo...ctoria-1.520520

Court orders sale of former Traveller's Inn properties in Victoria

#458 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

10922841_10152773399160894_8161825769591240699_n.jpg

#459 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

Which location is this?

Edited by Nparker, 30 April 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#460 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

That's the former Sopranos.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users