- - - - -

Traveller's Inn bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#141 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

I agree with you Spanky. I will be at the creditor's meeting tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Can you help me out with a link to the web site that shows the number of lawsuits against Asfar?

https://eservice.ag....rviceId=4215125

#142 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

There was a very good letter in Monday Magazine pointing out that these motels represent a massive piece of our current strategy for emergency housing. Without them, we are up **** creek. Think homelessness and affordability are bad now? Wait until we remove a however many hundred of the cheapest, most low barrier housing we've got from the general housing stock.

Can we not work out some way to put some of these in the hands of Pacifica Housing?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#143 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

There was a very good letter in Monday Magazine pointing out that these motels represent a massive piece of our current strategy for emergency housing. Without them, we are up **** creek. Think homelessness and affordability are bad now? Wait until we remove a however many hundred of the cheapest, most low barrier housing we've got from the general housing stock.

Can we not work out some way to put some of these in the hands of Pacifica Housing?

I don't think any are going to close any time too soon.

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

No doubt there were some units being used as emergency housing but I suspect that most were rented out at $60+ a day instead of $400 a month!

#145 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the link Spanky. This guy should not be allowed to continue. Caramia has brought up a good point. Pacifica Housing or Cool Aid should buy some of these buildings at fire sale prices. The problem that I discovered today at the creditor's meeting is that if the unsecured creditors pull the plug on this guy, they might not get paid. Personally I would be happy to not get paid as long as he looses everything he owns.

#146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the link Spanky. This guy should not be allowed to continue. Caramia has brought up a good point. Pacifica Housing or Cool Aid should buy some of these buildings at fire sale prices. The problem that I discovered today at the creditor's meeting is that if the unsecured creditors pull the plug on this guy, they might not get paid. Personally I would be happy to not get paid as long as he looses everything he owns.

If you plug his last name into that databank and look at page #2, it looks like he has a couple foreclosure items as recently as yesterday.

Can the unsecured creditors get anything from the three, or maybe 5 now, hotels that are in the hands of the receiver?

#147 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Only time will tell. This guy is a mastermind of corporate shuffle. The limited companies that these buildings are owned by (there are 21 companies that operate 14 buildings) "hold the property in trust" for........you guessed it . So the way I understand it, if there is a surplus from a sale, that surplus does not automatically go to the unsecured creditors.

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

Is the receiver obligated to find a buyer within a certain time period? Right now is a lousy time to sell a hotel, if the banks that hold the mortgages had their way, they would probably likely rather let them run for a year or three to get a better price, but there must be some type of limit to finally settle the unsecured creditors.

#149 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

You have hit the nail on the head. The proposal in front of the unsecured creditors however is that the principal of the company is asking for 6 months to sell off the properties, not the the receiver.

#150 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

I answered your question incorrectly. There are two classifications of buildings. Class 1 is the ones that have been forclosed on by the mortgage holders and Class 2 are the ones where the mortgage holders have not yet woken up. In either case, we the unsecured do not know what the equity might be in this market. We also do not know how the surplus might be dispersed.

#151 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

Sparky,

What were the total amounts of secured and unsecured debts owing and how much was claimed as assets?

#152 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

The assets are estimated at about $100 mil. for the 14 buildings. The problem is that we do not know what the amount of the mortgages is on these buildings.

#153 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

The assets are estimated at about $100 mil. for the 14 buildings. The problem is that we do not know what the amount of the mortgages is on these buildings.

That is suprising, you would think that the receiver would have a listing of all of the secured and unsecured debts.

#154 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

That is why the meeting was adjourned until September 8, there was a lot of missing information that is required, especially the piece about how the holding companys hold the buildings in trust for the owner.

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Between August 20 and August 27 there are 12 more foreclosure actions listed on the court registry. It's tough to tell what they all mean, but clearly properties involved include City Center, In-Town, Cowichan Bay and Central.

The only ones that you can book through their website now are Downtown, Central, on Blanshard (Queens?) and Gorge.

http://www.traveller...owntown_map.php

#156 riversticks80

riversticks80
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

John once told me that Blanshard/Queens is owed by a family trust. He said if all his other hotel's failed, he would always have Blanshard.

It would be terrible to see all the Travellers Inn hotels shut down, especially Express, Extended and Gorge. Alot of low income people tend to live there since the rent is much more affordable than most apartments in this city. I agree though that John should no longer run them and that Cool Aid should buy them.

#157 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

John once told me that Blanshard/Queens is owed by a family trust. He said if all his other hotel's failed, he would always have Blanshard.

It would be terrible to see all the Travellers Inn hotels shut down, especially Express, Extended and Gorge. Alot of low income people tend to live there since the rent is much more affordable than most apartments in this city. I agree though that John should no longer run them and that Cool Aid should buy them.

This has been my concern as well. To lose these extended stay rooms would be devastating to homeless families.

#158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

I don't think you'll see many, if any, shut down.

#159 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

How about we take part of the $63M we were planning to spend on replacing a perfectly good bridge and use it to buy the hotels and turn them over to a responsible organization to run.

#160 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

because we don't have $63 million

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users