Photo

E & N Rail Trail, Humpback Connector

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

You are correct on all counts.. forgot Hereward went that far...

#42 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Any news? Some body said there was a sign posted about non completion notice.I am going to have to walk by and check it out

#43 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

CRD Parks Committee Meeting 18 April will get an update on E and N Rail Trail - Humpback Connector:

Agenda, Item 13.

E and N Rail Trail - Humpback Connector Report (600kb PDF):
http://www.crd.bc.ca...tem13enrail.pdf
:)

#44 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Went for a bike ride through Esquimalt and see that the part of the E & N trail that runs parallel to Colville Road has been baricaded of to public use by concrete medians? I thought this section of the trail was open for use already?

#45 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Went for a bike ride through Esquimalt and see that the part of the E & N trail that runs parallel to Colville Road has been baricaded of to public use by concrete medians? I thought this section of the trail was open for use already?

No, this section has never been open. Basically the money for the crossings has sat there pending the ICF confirming that the rail will remain active. As it is now going to restart, the crossings will need to upgraded to the latest Transport Canada standards for railway crossings. This work is expected this year.

(Disclosure: I work for CRD, but for Regional Planning, not Parks).

#46 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

As it is now going to restart, the crossings will need to upgraded to the latest Transport Canada standards for railway crossings. This work is expected this year.

So will the barricades be in place the whole time making the trail unuseable? Do you know the projected finish date for this part of the trail?

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

No, this section has never been open. Basically the money for the crossings has sat there pending the ICF confirming that the rail will remain active. As it is now going to restart, the crossings will need to upgraded to the latest Transport Canada standards for railway crossings. This work is expected this year.

(Disclosure: I work for CRD, but for Regional Planning, not Parks).

Are you saying the rail service is going to restart? I hadn't heard anything about it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

E&N Rail Trail takes shape between downtown Victoria and Langford
Jeff Bell / Times Colonist
July 29, 2013

Section by section, the E&N Rail Trail-Humpback Connector is taking shape along the E&N railbed between the Johnson Street Bridge and Humpback Road in Langford.

But organizers are asking the public to stay off the paths as parts of the trail near completion. For example, the section from Colville and Admirals roads to Wilson Street is almost finished, but it should be considered a construction area for the time being, said Jeff Ward, Capital Regional District manager for parks planning, conservation and development.

“We’re not encouraging people to go out there. Be patient with us and we should have that done in a couple of months.”

The notion of another travel option for cyclists and pedestrians has been gathering steam since 2007, with construction starting in 2009.

Most of what remains to do on the E&N Rail Trail involves safety upgrades at a number of locations. A new rail gate is already in place at Colville and Admirals, with more work underway at Intervale Avenue, Lampson Street and other sites.

“It’s to improve safety for both trail-users and for drivers of vehicles,” Ward said.

The E&N Rail Trail project will add to the existing regional trail complex that includes the Galloping Goose and Lochside systems, but getting it done will take a number of years, Ward said.

“The Galloping Goose took us a while to get built totally, too,” he said. “We got the Goose in ’87 and it really wasn’t until ’95 that it was fully operational.”

http://www.timescolo...ngford-1.564481

#49 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Are you saying the rail service is going to restart? I hadn't heard anything about it.

It is still considered an active railway according to federal guidelines, hence the crossings. As for railway restart, that is an ICF question.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Open house set for E&N Trail

CRD staff and project consultants will be on hand to discuss the trail design for phase 2 of the cycling and pedestrian trail,

at Shoreline Community School, 2750 Shoreline Dr., Feb. 19 from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.

http://www.vicnews.c.../245557711.html

#51 iMogal

iMogal
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Looking for an update to the rail trail through the first nations area in Esquimalt.

What's the hold up here? It sure would be nice to get this finished.

#52 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

The latest as of earlier this summer is here:

https://www.crd.bc.c...15.pdf?sfvrsn=4

#53 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

I thought that section was being done in conjunction with a development at Admirals and Hallowell, and that there was finally agreement on the routing?  Starting from Admirals and Hallowell, it would run beside Admirals (still 2 way protected apparently), and then duck in behind the Songhees Wellness Centre to reconnect with the actual rail line.

Regardless, the big takeaway is this is not an imminent project.

The Esquimalt/Wilson portion should be starting up quite soon.

#54 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

^ from that school? I found it odd how it just ended when I was test riding bikes from Goldstream cycle. No idea how to make my way from the school to the Goose.

What is the western terminus of this anyway?

#55 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

^ from that school? I found it odd how it just ended when I was test riding bikes from Goldstream cycle. No idea how to make my way from the school to the Goose.

What is the western terminus of this anyway?

The part they're doing next is the 1 block from Wilson to Esquimalt, including some form of crossings for those roads.  You can see it as the purple bit in the map in the pdf Corey provided a link to a few posts above.

IMO the E&N currently ends where it hits the Goose at the TCH/Old Island Hwy overpass.  Eventually, when they deal with the Savory School/Atkins infrastructure upgrades, it will go all the way yo Jacklin Road.  And by the end of 2017, hopefully it will connect with the Cowichan Valley Trail.

• lanforod likes this

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Which route will be quicker to bike downtown?

#57 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Someone told me they saved about 5 minutes on the route (and by the route I mean E&N from TCH/Old Island to JSB instead of the GG to JSB from the same starting point).  A rough estimate from Google Maps has it at 8.7K instead of 10K.  I think you'll have to try them both out to see what you prefer.  There's a lot of things still to iron out on the E&N, such as the terrible Admirals/Colville intersection and the incomplete Songhees and Esquimalt Road sections.  None of these should prevent a commuting cyclist from going this way though.

#58 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

I have biked the following routes from the Atkins Ave park and ride to downtown and back. Here's my thoughts.

- Galloping Goose

Opinion: the longest, but also the easiest and most pleasant. My usual ride.

Distance: 10.5km to blue bridge
Avg time: 25-30 mins

- E&N to Craigflower, then Craigflower to downtown

Opinion: Shorter but harder -- the hill at the golf course is hard work!

Distance: 8.7km

Avg time: 23-25 mins

- E&N to Admirals, and back on the E&N

Opinion: Also shorter but harder, but also somewhat disjointed. The E&N has many stops for cars between CFB Esquimalt and downtown, the hill at Songhees Wellness Centre is hard work, and there is not a clear way to get back on at the moment.
Distance: 8.5km
Avg time: 25-27 mins

I really, really like the E&N as built to Songhees; once they resolve the path, perhaps give bike priority on some of those intersections and provide a clear ending point to get onto Esquimalt Road into downtown, I'd consider making that a regular route. As it stands, I do the Goose and occasionally the Craigflower route for variety.

• lanforod and nagel like this

#59 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

There's a new bulletin for the E&N rail trail on the CRD site:

https://www.crd.bc.c...15.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Sounds like they're going to work on the Wilson Rd to Esquimalt portion over the next few months, and the Songhees portion by Spring 2016.  I am pretty doubtful they'll get the latter done by then.

Re: the Atkins to Savory gap:

Atkins Road to Savory School (1 km)
The CRD is currently seeking grant funding to initiate
a future section between the Galloping Goose/Atkins
Avenue and Savory School in Langford. It will connect
existing sections of the trail, creating a continuous
stretch in Langford and View Royal. The City of Langford
will fund and construct the easterly section of the trail
along Atkins Avenue from the Galloping Goose/E&N
connection to the railway crossing and the CRD will fund
and construct the westerly section from the railway
crossing to Savory School.

Since 15M of the 17M spent to date has come from grants, me thinks completing this section will be going nowhere quickly until the grant money actually comes through.  I'm going to assume from my own rides around this area that this is going to be a very expensive section to finish off.

And then finally with the west of the JSB overpass going in by next summer and no current plans to complete the trail from the overpass to approximately Spinnakers, it could be a long time that Kimta will remain the route to take here.

#60 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

The sentiment has not been uncommon in the long absence of any significant rail activity on the E&N line: “Just rip up the tracks and turn it into the best trail on Vancouver Island.”

The thing is, according to Island Corridor Foundation executive director Graham Bruce one does not have to happen without the other.

He says rails and trails can happily co-exist on Vancouver Island. In fact, that is already happening and not a single tie has had to be removed in the process.

“Trails are already under construction,” Bruce said. “We’ve sort of blazed new ground.”

The most prominent example is perhaps the 17-kilometre $36 million paved trail partially completed by the Capital Regional District alongside the rail track from the Johnson Street Bridge to the western borders of Langford.

http://www.vicnews.c.../373457651.html
  • Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users