[Fairfield] Chelsea condos | 6-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2008

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

Rode by here today. The foundation of one building is almost done and the beginning of the elevator shaft has begun. I am betting the crane goes up in the next little while.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

Almost picture time.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I didn't take my camera... Whoops...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

I walked past there yesterday and have a question: 923 Burdett has a Land Use application posted, which includes the entire lot/space between #999 (which is the Chelsea) and #905 (which is an existing lo-rise apartment building at the corner of Burdett & Quadra). In other words, it's a LU application for the entire parcel between The Chelsea (at Burdett & Vancouver) & the apartment (at Burdett & Quadra). The application says something about increasing the density from under 1 (I think it was 0.6 to 1) to something around 1.7 to 1 (so not that much), and increasing the height from whatever it is now (7 m.?) to 15 metres.

The funny thing is that this LU application would affect 3 fairly remarkably nice existing structures -- particularly a brick job in the middle. I can't see these being demolished, somehow. Does anyone have any details on this LU? Or has it already been discussed here and I just happened to miss it?

Thanks!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#25 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

the tower crane it up now - I can see it from my balcony

#26 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

March 6, 2007

Very thick transfer slab poured today.. completes the Vancouver St. side of the building..

The contractor that did the restoration of the facade on the Royal Theatre continues to restore the brick and stone of the "English Wall"...

It was stablized as one of the first tasks on the site..

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

Today...

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

Taken today:

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

What's the deal with the back wall? It still leans significantly, no? What's up with that?

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

Aastra, you don't understand the charm of leaning heritage.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

Oh, I agree that it's supremely charming to have a brick wall hanging over your head as you're strolling down a city sidewalk. But is it safe? It struck me as more than a little intimidating, as I prayed for it not to collapse and strike me. I struck past in a hurry.

The building itself seems quite nice.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

I can't think of which wall you're referring. I don't remember seeing any leaning wall. They spent a lot of effort reinforcing the vulnerable looking parts a while ago. So if they was a stability issue, it's been fixed by now.

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

This is what I was wondering to myself. Why did they reinforce the wall only to leave it at an angle like that?

Was I imagining it? I'm talking about the south side. Go take a peek at it when you get a chance.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Today:

You're right about the south portion of the wall aastra. It's definately still leaning. They've got it reinforced with what looks like temporary braces, I'm assuming they'll fix it up once major construction has finished.

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

Maybe it's a stylistic reference to the dramatic leaning glass walls of the new Vancouver Convention Centre?

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

I think those metal-plate braces date back to the hospital era.

They should have pulled down the brick and left the stone part of the wall.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

You're right.
Ox took this pic well before construction.

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I think this one is looking classy. If I was in the market for a condo and didn't care about having a view, I'd look into this one:

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

I can hardly believe this project made it to this stage, after all that atrocious blasting required, I was certain, the Big One would have been set off. Let's hope we NEVER take such a risk with the lives of Fairfielders ever again.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

According to Vic News, they're now in the process of restoring the surrounding wall. Makes sense to wait until the building's almost completely I guess.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users