• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

The Globe profiled this last week.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

If I had the funds to be buying here this would certainly be on my list of places to buy. I think it looks great.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

I too love this one. Today:

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Monstrous! Historically insensitive! Way out of scale!

It's pretty good, but I think it could have been a bit more detailed here and there. Still, I'd yank those first-generation Songhees buildings and replace them with something like this in an instant.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

I was just thinking...this has to be the best looking building built in Fairfield in a very long time, yes? Perhaps since Christ Church Cathedral was finished?

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Definitely one of the classier projects to get built in recent memory.

I am just a little concerned that all the blasting needed to put in the underground parking, has forever cracked the mantle of the earth and we are all living on borrowed time until we are swallowed up in some gigantic sink-hole of our own making. BTW...the last bit was strictly there for the residents of the Fairfield Community Association. May they rest in peace...at least until the Mt. St. Angela project starts.:o

#47 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

I was just thinking...this has to be the best looking building built in Fairfield in a very long time, yes? Perhaps since Christ Church Cathedral was finished?

haha (good one)!

This looks like it will add to a positive life-vibe instead -- we can only hope it's the start of a trend.
(I was in an exceedingly snarky mood last night and wrote a put-down aimed at McClure St., which I decided to take out. I still hope that the Chelsea succeeds at lifting the street, including the portion from Vancouver to Cook. Burdett and Vancouver are great, but there's something about McC. -- as if the institution that was there somehow cast a pall on it.)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#48 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

I went by the project about 2pm today and they have managed to screw up (IMO) one of the last prominent exterior details.
The balcony railings are cheesy-looking vertical white pickets that bring down the elegant and substantial facade of the building. On the larger double-size balconies they look like jail bars, and being white they kind of jump out at you.
They got it 98% right then messed up one of the last, unfortunately very visible, design components.

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Crazy. Slim black railings should have been a no-brainer.

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Upon further review I'm going to say this building is just about a perfect example of what a lowrise residential building in a historic neighbourhood adjacent to downtown should look like. It looks distinguished without being faux or cornball. I give it an "A".

#51 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

Agreed aastra. IMO its the very best of all the recent crop of downtown condos. Its where I'd buy if I could.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

Is this building completed yet?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

Agree -- the Chelsea is a super addition to the neighborhood. (I have heard from some people that they didn't like the lay-outs of the apartments, but I haven't seen them myself.)

I love the look of the building, its presence, and how it pulls the street together. Shame that the Mount St. Angela development had to scale back because of complaints by neighbors in inferior developments.

PS: I don't think it's completely finished -- there doesn't yet seem to be an occupancy permit for the building, but it must be very close.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'll take pics this weekend.

It's not a hard-hat area anymore, the construction fencing has be removed, and they're working on the plants. So, I'd call this one completed.

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

^Sure you will.

I'll do it this week.

#56 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Here's a refresher from three years ago:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#57 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

As promised:

#58 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

What the hell is this thing?
I was walking by one time and it kicked off like a diesel's exhaust. Very loud - and it sputtered quite a bit of black smoke. It would be really bad to live in the unit in the background. Honestly, it was as loud as a garbage truck.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I was in this building earlier this year seeing a client. The suite was in had a good layout, albeit slightly on the small side. The open concept kitchen/living room helps make it feel a bit bigger. Good quality materials and appliances used throughout, and of course being steel and concrete it was very solid and quiet compared to my rickety wooden shack.

I think it is a good looking building with an attractive main entrance foyer. The futuristic elevators were like being transported to another dimension, even if it was only to a different floor.

If I had the cash it's a building I would like to live in.

Not to be confused with the sinking Chelsea Green :P
  • aastra likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users