School Board Elections

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

Any interest in posting candidates for School Board?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

[crickets chirping]

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

Come people, this needs to be taken seriously!

This is where Canada's first female PM came from - ok she had less experience than Sarah Palin when she took over as PM.

This is also where Carole James came from - the NDP scoured through the ranks of the trustees to find someone to be leader of the party.

On a serious note, I have only found out about a single person saying they will run for school board - Phil Spidle, a Green

#4 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

Come people, this needs to be taken seriously!

I completely agree. This directly affects our children's education. And it isn't taken seriously enough by many voters.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

A list of school trustee candidates would be much appreciated.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Bernard, on a side note...on your website there's all candidate meeting dates.
There's also one on Thur. Oct 16th 7pm at the Burnside Gorge Community Centre.

#7 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

If anyone would be willing to post a list of school board candidates, I would definitely be happy to sticky it!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#8 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

A list of school trustee candidates would be much appreciated.

Bernard can help me if I'm off on any names. I'm only familiar with Victoria.

Cathrine Alpha
Starla Anderson
Tamara Malczewska
Dave Pitre
Micheal McEvoy
Tom Ferris
Mark Walsh
Elaine Leonard
Jim Holland
Peg Orcherton
John Young
Bev Horsman

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

I am trying to find out ANYTHING about the candidates for school board 61 and I am at zero. I know two of them because I have met them, three by reputation and two from recommendations of people I know.

I really would like to know more about so that I can go out and vote intelligently.

#10 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

It is difficult to access information. I agree.
This is all I have:
http://www.bcsta.org...ndidateProfiles
http://www.vpec.org

http://www.vcpac.ca/...lection-preview
MEET THE TRUSTEE CANDIDATES….and be a well-informed voter

The Victoria Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (VCPAC) will be hosting two All Candidates Meetings for the public. These forum style meetings will allow the candidates to introduce themselves, and answer questions from the audience. Dr. Budd Hall, Director of Office for Community-Based Research at UVIC will be moderating.

Wednesday, November 5th from 7PM to 9PM at Victoria High School

Wednesday, November 12th from 7PM to 9PM at Esquimalt High School

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Great, they have it on Wednesday both times. What about those of us with prior commitments on that night? That is the night the 3rd Douglas Sea Scout Troop meets.

I guess I will be voting almost as blind as I did in 2005 when it comes to the School Board elections.

#12 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Trustee candidates School Dist 61

Catherine Alpha
Starla Anderson
Tom Ferris
Lance Groseth
Michael Hayes
Jim Holland
Bev Horsman
Elaine Leonard
Tamara Malczewska
Micheal McEvoy
Peg Orcherton
Dave Pitre
Mark Walsh
John Young

#13 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

You could meet the 3 VPEC trustee candidates tomorrow at a local forum VPEC is cosponsoring. They'll have a table there. Otherwise you could check out their platform and personal bios on the webpage: www.vpec.org

They're 3 fantastic progressive women.

Here are the event details:
Public Forum:
From "NO child left behind" to FSA Testing in BC -
How standardized tests are ruining Public Education.

Saturday 1 November
1:00pm - 2:30pm
Gibson Auditorium (rm 216), Young Building
Landsdowne Campus, Camosun College
3100 Foul Bay Road, Victoria (map)
Free childcare provided on site.
Speakers:
  • Steve Miller is a science teacher from the inner-city of Oakland California. When Oakland schools were taken over by the state of California in 2003, Steve began to tell Oakland’s story and write about the national motion towards privatization. He has experienced first-hand the devastating changes to teaching, learning and schools through the charter system where public schools in California are taken over by private companies.
  • Paul Shaker is former Dean of the Faculty of Education at SFU. Paul has continued to speak out on the misuse of narrowly focused tests and the damage it does to learning. He is noted for not mincing his words when it comes to the Fraser Institute’s ranking of B.C. elementary and secondary schools.
  • Michael Zlotnik is a philosopher of education, educational researcher, presenter and consultant. He taught for nine years in public schools in Alberni, Vancouver and West Vancouver. He served on the staff of the British Columbia Teachers' Federation for 26 years, has taught in the Faculty of Education at UBC for seven years and is currently a research associate with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. He is currently the president and spokesperson for the Charter for Public Education Network, a non-profit, non-partisan organization committed to universal, free, accessible, high quality public education.
In BC, there is growing concern over the effects of FSA (Foundation Skills Assessment) testing. More parents are refusing to let their children write the test. In Victoria, teachers have raised similar concerns over increasing numbers of District standardized tests. Starting with a first hand account of the effects of the No Child Left Behind policy in America, panelists discuss the new emphasis - and excesses - of standardized testing, data collection, and "accountability" in our public school systems. What’s behind the tests? Why the interest in ranking schools? Are the tests improving public education or harming it? Is BC going the way of the US? What are constructive alternatives to the testing/ranking accountability agenda?

#14 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

Great info! Welcome to the forum Thinklocal!
I stickied the thread.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#15 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

Thanks. :)
What a great local discussion board. It's fantastic to see so many people engaged in local issues.

#16 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

http://www.vcpac.ca/...lection-preview
MEET THE TRUSTEE CANDIDATES….and be a well-informed voter

The Victoria Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (VCPAC) will be hosting two All Candidates Meetings for the public. These forum style meetings will allow the candidates to introduce themselves, and answer questions from the audience. Dr. Budd Hall, Director of Office for Community-Based Research at UVIC will be moderating.

Wednesday, November 12th from 7PM to 9PM at Esquimalt High School

Reminder of this upcoming opportunity

#17 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

How many school trustees does one vote for? Is it eight?

#18 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

How many school trustees does one vote for? Is it eight?

(someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong)

#19 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

which district?

#20 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

which district?

Sorry. SD 61 Victoria. I'm unfamiliar with Saanich.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users