4 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I got this sent to me today:

Ryan Hinton for Langford Council

I am running for Langford Council because I want to help build Langford into a strong family community.

More attention needs to be given to the neighbourhoods of Langford. I am amazed that many of the main roads used by pedestrians do not have paved sidewalks or adequate street lighting. There are streets in Langford, used everyday by children to walk to school, that have no sidewalks. Therefore, I want to provide more infrastructures to individual neighbourhoods, thus making a safer and stronger community. There also needs to be expanded community services for children, youth, and seniors.

I want to see more targeted development in Langford because Langford and Greater Victoria would be better served if office buildings were erected in the Westshore, instead of more box stores and condominiums. Many people live in the Westshore, but work in other areas of Greater Victoria. It would be great if more people could live and work in the Westshore.

I believe the primary goal of an elected official is to obtain and maintain public trust, which I will achieve by balancing development and environmental issues, being accountable and fiscally responsible, and engaging in meaningful public consultation.

As a candidate and if a councilor, I encourage everyone to bring forward the issues that are important, provide suggestions, and critique my decisions. Please email your issues, suggestions, critiques, and questions to ryan_hinton@shaw.ca

Here is some background about me. I am 33 years old. I have lived in Langford for 4 years and in Greater Victoria for over 25 years. I have been happily married to my amazing wife Yasmeen for 5 years, and we have a wonderful 16 month old son. I recently graduated from the University of Victoria with a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Geography and Political Science. I work as a policy and research analyst for the BC Provincial Government.

On November 15, please vote Ryan Hinton for Langford Council.

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

I want to see more targeted development in Langford because Langford and Greater Victoria would be better served if office buildings were erected in the Westshore, instead of more box stores and condominiums. Many people live in the Westshore, but work in other areas of Greater Victoria. It would be great if more people could live and work in the Westshore.

See now he's got the right idea! But then, Geography grad... I'd hope he would have an understanding of smart growth.

One day the soggies will rule the world. Oh yes!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

LOCAL MAN GETS SHOT ON A BIG-TIME T-V GAME SHOW
C-FAX News
Feb 6, 2009

A LOCAL MAN...WHO WORKS FOR THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT...IS GOING TO BE A CONTESTANT ON "WHEEL OF FORTUNE", THE POPULAR T-V GAME SHOW.

RYAN HINTON SAYS HE APPLIED FOR THE SPOT VIA THE PROGRAM'S WEBSITE, AND WAS GLAD TO HEAR THAT HE'S BEEN ACCEPTED.

TAPING IS IN TWO WEEKS, WE DON'T KNOW YET WHEN IT WILL GO TO AIR.

- fms
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Wow pretty soon we will be able to add a new name to the Famous People from the CRD thread!

#5 Ryan Hinton

Ryan Hinton
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Langford man gets rare crack at Wheel of Fortune

One-time Langford council candidate Ryan Hinton has earned a chance to seek his fortune the way Hollywood does it best – on a game show.

Hinton, 33, is scheduled to shout consonants and buy vowels on Wheel of Fortune during the Feb. 20 taping session at Sony Studios in Los Angeles. He is one of the few Canadians ever selected to appear on the program in its 25 year history.

The show, with its ever-smiling hosts Pat Sajak and Vanna White – named in the Guinness World Records as “Television’s Most Frequent Clapper” – has contestants spinning a colourful 4,000-pound wheel and guessing letters to figure out a common phrase or name.

Hinton admits he’s a little nervous the more he thinks about appearing on a popular prime time program, especially as a representative of Canada. Wheel of Fortune fan websites are abuzz with the novelty of it – he’s even been labeled “The Canadian,” he said.

“I feel good about it,” Hinton said. “They say working on the introduction with Pat (Sajak) is what causes (contestants) the most stress.”

The chance to win thousands of dollars, and possibly a million, came about after Hinton and his in-laws applied online and were invited to audition in Vancouver on Jan. 19. Wheel of Fortune staff put dozens of hopefuls through the paces, with mock games, written tests and generally getting a sense of personalities.

Using bit of easygoing humour and good energy, Hinton reckons he broke away from the crowd. He talked about running for Langford council, being a master of the card game bridge and joked how his university degrees in political science and geography qualifies him for being “president of dirt.”

His sister-in-law Zereen Charania and mother-in-law Rashna both qualified through the Vancouver audition and could still be invited to appear, but the show needed a Canadian for Feb. 20, for reasons that are unclear. Hinton got the phone call from WOF staff Tuesday.

Hinton started watching the game on TV twice a day and is playing Wheel of Fortune online to get comfortable with the format. In a worst-case scenario he will walk away with $1,000 U.S., although contestants keep what they win. He’s not yet sure when his episode is scheduled to air.

“When we left the audition, I felt great. I thought it couldn’t have gone any better. I tried to be a little different than the usual,” he said. “They said they needed one Canadian. Something I did worked.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users