Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1721 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

At one time it was a treat to hear the fog horns moaning and groaning down by the waterfront,  Then folks started complaining about the noise.

Now the experts are saying the fog horn is not as dated as one would think.

When the foghorns sound in the early morning of a hazy day in Metro Vancouver, the loud drum is usually enough to wake up those dreamers close enough to the shrouded sea.

Historically, the blare of a foghorn in Metro Vancouver has been ill-received by many, leaving some to question why the seemingly old technology is still necessary.

"It's the sound of safety," said Capt. Robin Stewart, executive director of B.C. Coast Pilots. "From the small pleasure yacht to the new container ships and cruise ships ... the process is successful."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ntury-1.4471752

#1722 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Alaska will break its own passenger record in 2018, according to the 2018-2019 Cruise Industry News Annual Report, with an estimate of more than 1 million passengers embarking on Alaska cruises this year.

That number is slightly above the 1 million-plus passengers that visited Alaska in 2008, an all-time high, before a head tax sent traffic numbers spiraling downward between 2009 and 2011. Since then, the Alaska market has clawed its way back, posting modest capacity increases year-over-year.

Princess Cruises will be the biggest operator in the region this summer, followed by Holland America Line and Norwegian Cruise Line, according to data in the upcoming 2018-2019 Cruise Industry News Annual Report.

A bigger 2019 could be in the works too, with additional tonnage including Cunard, Viking and the Ovation of the Seas from Royal Caribbean International.

https://www.cruisein...for-alaska.html

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 February 2018 - 10:03 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1723 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

No chance Ovation comes here, is there? It's gotta be way too big. I suppose they could tender if they have to?

#1724 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

No chance Ovation comes here, is there? It's gotta be way too big. I suppose they could tender if they have to?

RCI does have Victoria as the port stop on the final full day of the voyages. 

#1725 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

So the Norwegian Bliss will visit many times (15?) with its 4250 passengers.

By far the largest ship.

2018 schedule:

http://www.victoriac.../current-season

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1726 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, that's the brand new one with the gokart race track. I'm still wondering if these larger ships can dock at Ogden directly.

#1727 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

Ya, they are adding another dolphin.

The largest cruise ship to ever visit Victoria comes into Ogden Point at 8am on Friday, June 1st.

She is 1069.2 feet long, and will bring 4250 passengers to Victoria for the day.

Welcome her in! RSVP / invite friends / MORE: https://www.facebook...98201347294450/

MORE on the ship: http://www.bliss.ncl.com/

Welcome her in! RSVP / invite friends / MORE: https://www.facebook...98201347294450/

Look, instead of working to make Victoria a home port... why don't we try to work with the cruise companies to make it so that passengers can easily get off here and let the ship go back to Seattle. The passengers that disembark here can buy a night package etc. and get back to Seattle by other packaged means. Is that not legal?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 10:40 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#1728 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

It should be legal, yes. Doesn't contravene the Jones act as we are Canada. Should also be simpler to be able to get on a ship here - that may net us more ships as some Vancouver based ships may add Victoria as a first stop then, to pickup another 500 passengers.

I'm not sure there is a financial incentive to make these changes yet though. I believe most ships are sailing full.

#1729 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

...why don't we try to work with the cruise companies to make it so that passengers can easily get off here and let the ship go back to Seattle. The passengers that disembark here can buy a night package etc. and get back to Seattle by other packaged means...

As a fairly frequent cruise passenger, I can't imagine why I would want to do that. Regardless of the allure of the port of call, I would never give up my fully-paid-for luxury hotel with all meals and entertainment included to pay for an overnight in the last port and then spend even more money to get back to my home port. The closest I came to this scenario I suppose, was on a cruise back from Hawaii. That itinerary was scheduled to end in Vancouver, but ported in Victoria the day before. We arrived late in the day due to inclement weather encountered on our trip across the Pacific. The "locals" were allowed to leave the ship here which was fine since we were home. In fact, we actually saved money by not having to make our way back from Vancouver via BC Ferries or some other means.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#1730 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

As a fairly frequent cruise passenger, I can't imagine why I would want to do that. Regardless of the allure of the port of call, I would never give up my fully-paid-for luxury hotel with all meals and entertainment included to pay for an overnight in the last port and then spend even more money to get back to my home port. The closest I came to this scenario I suppose, was on a cruise back from Hawaii. That itinerary was scheduled to end in Vancouver, but ported in Victoria the day before. We arrived late in the day due to inclement weather encountered on our trip across the Pacific. The "locals" were allowed to leave the ship here which was fine since we were home. In fact, we actually saved money by not having to make our way back from Vancouver via BC Ferries or some other means.

They leave here at midnight typically, then arrive in Seattle at 7am.

No, most people would not want to, but maybe some will.  The cruise line can make money on that package, since it can be in a position to only allow passengers to depart here that have made the "stay in Victoria" add-on buy.

#1731 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

I'm not sure there is a financial incentive to make these changes yet though. I believe most ships are sailing full.

Yes, but as I say, cruise lines can set this option price.  Say, for an extra $1,000 you can stay at the Empress for a night, and then fly Kenmore air back to Seattle etc.

#1732 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

It's an idea, for sure.

Are most Alaskan cruise ship voyages one-way only, or do passenger sail north and south as part of one "cruise?"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1733 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Most are return, just going up to Skagway/Juneau and back. The one way ones are the ones that go to Seward, though often passengers will do the return cruise too, for a total of 14 days.

Others will do cruise-tours - a cruise and then a land portion.

nice to not have HB arguing semantics over this...

Edited by lanforod, 05 February 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#1734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

...for an extra $1,000 you can stay at the Empress for a night, and then fly Kenmore air back to Seattle etc.

I bet many of the Alaska cruise passengers aren't paying much more than that for a full week aboard their ships.

#1735 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Most are return, just going up to Skagway/Juneau and back. The one way ones are the ones that go to Seward, though often passengers will do the return cruise too, for a total of 14 days.
Others will do cruise-tours - a cruise and then a land portion.

nice to not have HB arguing semantics over this...

I was gonna say...

#1736 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

I bet many of the Alaska cruise passengers aren't paying much more than that for a full week aboard their ships.

Yes just like very few fly first class on a plane. But there are customers that are not so price sensitive. I’d like these ones here to spend money.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#1737 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

...there are customers that are not so price sensitive. I’d like these ones here to spend money.

I imagine those folks already do with return visits to Victoria and dropping sizable dollars here by shopping and dining even while in port for a day. I am not suggesting your concept wouldn't have some uptake, but I am just not sure it would be worth the time/energy of the cruise lines to make it happen.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1738 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

So about 12 new articles about this cruise ship problem, about some Canadians aboard.

https://www.thestar....ction-zone.html

But not a single US article, save for this one, that quotes Canadian articles. > > http://www.cruiselaw...-fiasco-cruise/

Now, on a 2000-passenger ship, every single news article (all but one Canadian) only quotes this one Canadian family as calling it a nightmare?

#1739 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

You'd think they'd be able to find multiple sources, rather than one family. It does seem odd. The photos are a bit compelling, though.

I stay away from Carnival and Norwegian. You get what you pay for; this story is an extreme example, but ... yeah.

#1740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:34 AM

Are you surprised? This is standard ops. Great way for spreading propaganda, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users