Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1761 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Great shots Kungsberg, thank you for those. 

I took mine from a distance. 

Big Boat.jpg

• todd and Kungsberg like this

#1762 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Oy...she's a Big, BIG girl - moored inside the breakwater astride the terminal building.  Bet there can't more than ten feet of water between the keel and the harbour floor. 

Attached Images

• NB2.jpg
  • NB5.jpg
  • NB3.jpg

• zoomer, Nparker and todd like this

#1763 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

I think she's ugly. About five too many decks.

• zoomer and Lorenzo like this

#1764 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

I think she's ugly. About five too many decks.

Agreed. I think it's hideous.

#1765 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

The funny thing is from a distance she doesn’t look quite as big as you’d imagine. When I saw her docked from Esquimalt my first thought was whether I had missed my chance and another ship was in port.

That could be that there’s no large cruise ship next to her for comparison and she looks big in isolation but could look like a behemoth next to the Pearl, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

DE39DF9D-EC31-461E-811A-96B878890F8D.jpeg
  • Nparker and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1767 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Some of the coolest features aren't actually visible, including the azi-pod maneuvering gear and the stabilizer fins that mitigate ocean/wave action permitting ships like this to sail (almost) "at speed" during even some of the highest seas. Would love to get a tour of the bridge and the engine spaces.....!

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#1768 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

Some of the coolest features aren't actually visible, including the azi-pod maneuvering gear and the stabilizer fins that mitigate ocean/wave action permitting ships like this to sail (almost) "at speed" during even some of the highest seas. Would love to get a tour of the bridge and the engine spaces.....!

A lot of windage with that much height...it's part of the ugly.

#1769 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:56 PM

A lot of windage with that much height...it's part of the ugly.

Meh...to each their own of course. For my part I never ever thought of the Marguerite for example, which so many old-timers in particular hold in such affection, as a remotely attractive ship design. The silly sway back hull reminded me of someone with a spinal deformity and I've never never been a fan of the old style bow lines which were virtually perpendicular as opposed to the modern clipper designs - damned ungainly and not remotely efficient in terms of moving a vessel through the water. But I recognize that's just me. 

#1770 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

Today is a very unusual Sunday for cruise ships. One Princess ship came in early this morning and left early afternoon, and two others are in port now, a Norwegian and a Holland America. Next Sunday there are no ships scheduled.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Last year I think Sundays were the “off” days more often than not, right?

Know it all.

#1772 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

For the most part Mike. There is a 14 day cruise from Seattle, that stops here every two weeks on Sunday. I believe this year it is Holland-America's Zaandam.

#1773 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

Apparently Norwegian Bliss will be stopping in Victoria every Friday on its way back to Seattle over the summer. It will make one visit to Vancouver, but has to arrive at 3am and wait until 3am the next day to leave, as it only fits under the Lions Gate Bridge at the lowest tide.

#1774 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

JUNEAU, Alaska — A cruise ship scheduled to stop in Victoria next weekend has been hit with an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness.

The ship, carrying about 2,000 passengers and crew, left Seattle on Monday and was in Juneau, Alaska on Friday. 

According to the CDC, 58 passengers and 15 crew members have reported symptoms that include vomiting and diarrhea.

http://www.vitadaily...week-1.23346373

#1775 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

..will they be letting them off the ship?

#1776 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

CAPE FLATTERY, Washington — A man who went overboard from a Victoria-bound cruise ship has been recovered in waters off southwest Vancouver Island and pronounced dead in hospital.

The Seven Seas Mariner cruise ship had reported a 73-year-old man went overboard at about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

At the time the man went overboard, the vessel was in U.S. waters, just north of Cape Flattery, at the northwestern tip of Washington state's Olympic Peninsula.

http://www.timescolo...ship-1.23363316

#1777 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

BTW, the Seven Seas Mariner was scheduled to stop in Victoria next, but cancelled their visit after this event.

#1778 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

BTW, the Seven Seas Mariner was scheduled to stop in Victoria next, but cancelled their visit after this event.

Right, that's what "Victoria-bound" means.

#1779 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

Weld done but not well done

The first civilian ship built under the federal government's marquee shipbuilding program will have portions of its hull re-welded because an inspection has uncovered a series of defective joints, CBC News has learned.

Up to 44 metres of welds on the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Sir John Franklin — which was launched only last December and has not yet entered service — will be repaired before it is handed over to the federal government early next year.

Seaspan is one of two federally-designated ship construction yards. The three science ships, intended to monitor the health of fish stocks, represent the first wave of 17 civilian-grade vessels — worth $7 billion — to be constructed on the West Coast. Irving Shipbuilding, in Halifax, is the other yard, where combat vessels are being constructed.

The microscopic welding cracks initially were discovered three months ago on one of the science vessels, which is still under construction in North Vancouver.

The other two fisheries vessels are still in North Vancouver; one was scheduled for launch this summer and the other was expected to hit the water next year.

The company said that, "at the moment," it does not anticipate a delay in handing over the Franklin, but it is unclear how other projects at the yard — including the navy's two joint support ships — might be affected.

The cost of the repairs will be borne by Seaspan.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4788322?cmp=rss

#1780 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

Anyone see the plans for Ogden Point in Douglas this month?

https://issuu.com/page-one/docs/das18
  • AllseeingEye, catfluff and thundergun like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users