Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1821 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

oh i don't know. don't they? have not been on the thing for about 20 years when i was still really a kid.

#1822 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

You should get out there.

#1823 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

you there often?

#1824 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

https://youtu.be/NlbMeQpKteI

#1825 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Each to their own. I've sailed on the Oasis; and it feels less crowded than many smaller cruise ships. It's well designed for so many people.

Cruising isn't for everyone, and that's okay. I certainly enjoy it though.

As do I: I wasn't referring to crowd size but rather the potential for catching something of the microbial variety, which has been reported on many cruise ships in recent years.

That was almost unheard of on cruises years ago and IMO its no coincidence the increasing frequency of these episodes is due to the fact we've built the ships to such a capacity they are literally floating bug factories. How can they not be since the human body is one of the dirtiest objects on earth?

If I had issues with crowd size believe me I wouldn't have plunked myself down in the middle of 100,000 mostly inebriated Nebraska Cornhusker football fans in 2003 or, much worse, almost as many *really_very* inebriated Brit futbol fans at the old Wembley Stadium.... :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 25 March 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#1826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

I wonder what this means for Victoria’s cruise ship industry?

Carnival operates Carnival, Princess and Holland America, among others, which stop virtually every day in Victoria during Alaskan cruise season. If the company is banned from American ports for some period of time, that would be disastrous for the local economy.

There’s no industry if they can’t dock in Alaska.

A federal judge has threatened to temporarily block Carnival Corp. from docking cruise ships at ports in the United States as punishment for a possible probation violation.

Miami-based Carnival has been on probation for two years as part of a $40 million settlement for illegally dumping oil into the ocean from its Princess Cruises ships and lying about the scheme, according to court filings.

Despite this, prosecutors say ships have dumped grey water into Alaska’s Glacier Bay National Park, prepared ships in advance of court-ordered audits to avoid unfavourable findings, falsified records and dumped plastic garbage into the ocean. The company has acknowledged these incidents in court filings.

- https://nationalpost...m-docking-in-us

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1827 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

I wonder what this means for Victoria’s cruise ship industry?

Carnival operates Carnival, Princess and Holland America, among others, which stop virtually every day in Victoria during Alaskan cruise season. If the company is banned from American ports for some period of time, that would be disastrous for the local economy.

There’s no industry if they can’t dock in Alaska.

- https://nationalpost...m-docking-in-us

That would have such an impact on the industry if it were to come to fruition. Not only here and Vancouver, but all the Alaska ports, Holland America's homeport base in Seattle, all up and down both the east and west coasts. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami homeports would be decimated for cruise traffic, and so would the Caribbean. Cunard would have to change their famous Atlantic crossings between Southampton and NY.

Let's hope the words 'threatening' and 'temporarily' are just that - words - and Carnival et al get their 'poop' together.

• Mike K. likes this

#1828 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

At least 6 unaccounted for after 2 Alaska floatplanes carrying cruise passengers collide in mid-air, officials say

Six people were unaccounted for Monday and 10 others were injured after two floatplanes carrying cruise passengers taking part in shore excursions collided in mid-air over Southeast Alaska, officials said.

#1829 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

BREAKING NEWS
At least 5 dead after mid-air collision of Alaska floatplanes carrying cruise passengers, officials say

Five people were killed, 10 others were injured and one person was unaccounted for Monday after the Alaska collision of two floatplanes carrying cruise passengers taking part in shore excursions, officials said

#1830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

Currently the Royal Princess is still in port while Coral Princess and Volendam are sailing south.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1831 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Cunard Line cruises has returned to Vancouver with the MS Queen Elizabeth. I believe that it will be making full day stops in Victoria as part of the itinerary.

#1832 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

Queen Elizabeth arriving.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190530_063141.jpg

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, todd and 2 others like this

#1833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:44 AM

Awesome. Thank you!

Know it all.

#1834 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Attached Images

• a.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • d.jpg

• Nparker and todd like this

#1835 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

For cruising I'll take RCCL over stuffy Cunard every time :)

• Nparker likes this

#1836 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

For cruising I'll take RCCL over stuffy Cunard every time 

Split the difference and sail Celebrity like I do.  :P

#1837 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

Soon all you with be able to afford is walk on on B.C.F cruse line

#1838 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

I like Celebrity too, RCCL is better when going with the kids :)

#1839 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

I like Celebrity too, RCCL is better when going with the kids :)

Which is probably another reason I choose Celebrity.  ;)

• lanforod and todd like this

#1840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

It’s amazing how a massive vessel can look so small next to something like Ovation of the Seas. I hopped down to Ogden Point today and the size difference was pronounced.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users