Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, please!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1862 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

If anyone is seriously interested, I can send them the link I received in my email.

Yes please and thanks NParker.

#1863 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

It's actually a phone number and an email address, but here's the info for anyone who wants it...

Start your journey in Victoria, BC!
We are pleased to announce that Expedia CruiseShipCenters has an exclusive opportunity for those living on Vancouver Island
For the first time...you can start and end your cruise right here in Victoria!
We have four Alaska sailings in 2020 where you can board your Alaska adventure at Ogden Point in Victoria and after your cruise simply disembark in Victoria as well! How exciting!!!
There are only four sailings and limited staterooms available.
You will want to pre-register today.

Call us at 250.381.7447

Bookings start July 30th so PRE-REGISTER NOW! 

victoria@cruiseshipcenters.com

#1864 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

Do you have info pertaining to the actual vessels and sailing dates?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

i tried calling and looking online no info unril office hours tomorrow.

#1866 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

I am sure a local Expedia rep* will contact all those interested as soon as possible. I haven't really looked into these sailings since I already have a cruise booked for next year. Hopefully these prove popular and more are added in the future.

* I have the email address for a staff member at the downtown cruise ship center. She might respond outside of office hours. If people ask nicely - in private - I can share this.

#1867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Yes, please do.

Know it all.

#1868 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

this is a newsworthy development.  

• Nparker likes this

#1869 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for the heads-up, nparker!

2020-to-usher-in-Victoria's-first-ever-Alaskan-cruise-departures-from-Ogden-Point.jpg

A cruise ship destined for Victoria's Ogden Point terminal sails past a BC Ferries vessel in the Salish Sea between Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of British Columbia. Starting next year cruise ship operator Cunard Line will offer four sailings embarking and disembarking at Victoria's Ogden Point terminal.

2020 to usher in first-ever Alaskan cruises originating from Victoria

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#1870 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

Thanks! Not what I was hoping for. C'mon RCCL or Celebrity!
  • Nparker likes this

#1871 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

Cunard Line’s Alaska-bound departures from Victoria will commence on July 30 aboard the 2,100 passenger Queen Elizabeth. The cruise will last 11 nights and will be the longest among the four scheduled journeys.

Subsequent sailings will depart on August 10th for a nine night sailing, August 19 for nine nights, and a ten night voyage on August 28th.

“The Queen Elizabeth will be positioned for embarkation in Victoria, then she will sail on to Vancouver’s Canada Place where additional passengers will board,” McLeod says. “On the return leg the ship will dock at Ogden Point for debarkation then continue on to Vancouver.”

i don't get it.

#1872 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

What's not to get? The ship's will offer 2 options for embarkation and disembarkation: Victoria or Vancouver.

#1873 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

...Not what I was hoping for. C'mon RCCL or Celebrity!

While I am definitely a Celebrity fan myself, at least with Cunard we're getting something classy. It could have been Carnival making these trial cruises.

#1874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

ok let's say it's july 30th.  the qe pulls into victoria to get its first passengers.  where did it come from (what's the last port it visited)?  who is onboard?  if it's empty why didn't it pick up anybody at the last place?  did it drop off only from it's last trip?  and if it did where did it drop everyone?  and if it was vancouver why didn't it pick up people rather then going there next*?

“The Queen Elizabeth will be positioned for embarkation in Victoria, then she will sail on to Vancouver’s Canada Place where additional passengers will board

i guess what i mean is that right now no alaska ship ever sails empty into vancouver seattle or victoria.  it always sails in and out of those ports pretty much 99.9% full.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#1875 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

I am sure details of the QE's last port of call before the July 30, 2020 Victoria embarkation are available on the Cunard website. At most, the ship will likely only be empty overnight from Vancouver or more likely Seattle. 

#1876 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

ok let's say it's july 30th.  the qe pulls into victoria to get its first passengers.  where did it come from (what's the last port it visited)?  who is onboard?  if it's empty why didn't it pick up anybody at the last place?  did it drop off only from it's last trip?  and if it did where did it drop everyone?  and if it was vancouver why didn't it pick up people rather then going there next*?

i guess what i mean is that right now no alaska ship ever sails empty into vancouver seattle or victoria.  it always sails in and out of those ports pretty much 99.9% full.

The QE is currently on her way to New York City, so I suspect that she'll pull in to Victoria to start to Alaska journey before arriving in Vancouver to finish the NYC journey, i.e. all of the journeys will overlap in Victoria and Vancouver. This would be why limited cabins are available, since they can only sell a cabin if it is being vacated the same day.

#1877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

The QE is currently on her way to New York City, so I suspect that she'll pull in to Victoria to start to Alaska journey before arriving in Vancouver to finish the NYC journey, i.e. all of the journeys will overlap in Victoria and Vancouver. This would be why limited cabins are available, since they can only sell a cabin if it is being vacated the same day.

this is all next year though and does not explain this:

Subsequent sailings will depart on August 10th for a nine night sailing, August 19 for nine nights, and a ten night voyage on August 28th.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#1878 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

^ I assume it means that each voyage has two possible departure ports and two potential arrival ports, with arrivals and departures overlapping.

July 30: Trip 1 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 0 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 1 pick up in Vancouver

August 10: Trip 1 drop off in Victoria, Trip 2 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 1 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 2 pick up in Vancouver

August 19: Trip 2 drop off in Victoria, Trip 3 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 2 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 3 pick up in Vancouver

August 28: Trip 3 drop off in Victoria, Trip 4 pick up in Victoria; then Trip 3 drop off in Vancouver, Trip 4 pick up in Vancouver

#1879 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

Years ago I was on a cruise that had 2 embarkation and disembarkation ports; New Orleans and Tampa. 2 days after I got on in N.O. half of the passengers disembarked in Tampa and new passengers joined. The half that started with me disembarked in N.O. at the end of 7 days. 

#1880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

oh ya now I understand better.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users