Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2241 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:57 AM

A European river cruise is on my bucket list.

#2242 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:29 AM

My parents prefer the river cruises because there's no such thing as an "at sea" day.  Whereas I'm content with a lounge chair in the warm shade with a book, they go for the shore excursions and walking tours.  We all prefer the smaller and quieter ships though - you can't fit 3000-6000 people on a riverboat and have it still able to move.

River cruises are more susceptible to low river levels, twice they've had to change boats mid-cruise via bus transfer due to it.

#2243 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

Victoria's wasteful-spending watchdogs must be furious about this facilities upgrade at Nanaimo's airport, right?*

The $14.2-million project to build a 14,000-square-foot addition began in April 2018. With the addition, the airport is now more than 37,600 square feet.

The Nanaimo Airport Commission and the federal and provincial governments shared the project’s cost.

*Nope - using public money for such projects is only objectionable when you're talking about upgrading Victoria's facilities or restoring/renovating Victoria's public buildings, etc.

#2244 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

Both my brother and best friend have been on several river cruises in Europe and both said they were very enjoyable. Budapest was high on their like list.

#2245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:47 AM

Budapest is amazing. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

#2246 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,015 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:06 PM

Viking has an Arctic to Antarctic cruise. $44k. Let’s go!

Matt.

#2247 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

Cunards Queen Elizabeth from Victoria Alaska cruises are already upto 30% discounted.

#2248 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

hmmmm.... Mike a VV cruise!  Call up a cruise line, tell them who you are and they will put all the details together!  We could fill the boat with healthy VV'ers!  No interlopers and only politicians we like.  (We do like some right?). 

#2249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Hmmm, there’s got to be a couple.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2250 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

hmmmm.... Mike a VV cruise!  Call up a cruise line, tell them who you are and they will put all the details together!  We could fill the boat with healthy VV'ers!  No interlopers and only politicians we like.  (We do like some right?). 

No, it would be more fun to invite Ben Isitt to join the cruise.....

• Mike K. and VIResident like this

#2251 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

Any thoughts on one of these Viking cruises in Europe? Never been on a cruise, couldn’t care less about the party atmosphere and would rather have nice food, some peace and quiet, and see a few different places. Don’t need the tropical weather either, I can get that in other ways.

https://www.vikingcr...ands/index.html

https://www.vikingcr...orer/index.html

Matt.

River cruises are a great way to see lots of countryside. All the Viking boats have balconies which are a plus/minus, you get a balcony but you get a smaller room.

Our favourite was a Rhine river cruise with AMA waterways.

You do have to watch the weather, in summer if it is really dry the river levels are too low to make it through so they disembark everybody, empty all the water tanks, bus you to the next destination and pick you up there. Conversely if it has been raining a lot the river levels are too high for the boats to pass underneath some bridges.

Great trips though - highly advise taking one.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2252 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

No, it would be more fun to invite Ben Isitt to join the cruise.....

I think two person kayak is as big as he goes so Bowker Creek river cruise may be an option.

I always thought an international VV convention in Las Vegas would be successful. The Venetian?

#2253 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

...I always thought an international VV convention in Las Vegas would be successful. The Venetian?

I'll join if we can stay at the Wynn/Encore.

#2254 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

I'll join if we can stay at the Wynn/Encore.

Do they accommodate octopuses?

#2255 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:44 PM

https://www.wynnlasv...ces/pools/pools

• todd likes this

#2256 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

Cunards Queen Elizabeth from Victoria Alaska cruises are already upto 30% discounted.

With the possibility of spending 200% or more time on the boat I assume free + stops at a military base.

#2257 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

Any thoughts on one of these Viking cruises in Europe? Never been on a cruise, couldn’t care less about the party atmosphere and would rather have nice food, some peace and quiet, and see a few different places. Don’t need the tropical weather either, I can get that in other ways.

https://www.vikingcr...ands/index.html

https://www.vikingcr...orer/index.html

Matt.

I've done Viking and Avalon out of Amsterdam... the Avalon experience ("The Felicity") was my fave.  The view from the cabin, while the boat is moving, is bucolic, interesting and everywhere you look there's a history rabbit-hole to follow.  The daily short tours of each town are great and give you enough to plan your day.  The food was excellent, too plentiful and the service was also very good.  Have done Amazon River (Iberostar), Yangtse River (Viking, I think) and both were excellent experiences.  All three were very different.

Haven't ever done a big ocean cruise, except on a sailboat.  

• Nparker, Matt R. and jasmineshinga like this

#2258 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:21 PM

Do they accommodate octopuses?

Only on the menu.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2259 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

Only on the menu.

I thought he was just getting a massage
0269B3AE-04F1-4C8B-8C22-8B856BEAF1F2.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#2260 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

Military helicopters have now delivered COVID-19 testing kits to the Grand Princess cruise ship currently off the coast of California. The ship is expected to dock at Ogden Point in three weeks. The ship has 3,500 people on board including 235 Canadians.

https://www.ctvnews....fairs-1.4840592

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users