Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2601 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:41 AM

if you US flag it you are subject to US labour laws and wages. that will never work. cruising only works because of low wages and poor working conditions. it’s like a 3rd world beach or resort destination - that picks you up and drops you back off in the safety of the US. And even when it visits more 2nd and 3rd world ports (in the Caribbean and South America for example) you retreat to the safety of the ship at night.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2021 - 11:47 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2602 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:48 AM

That's why I'm reasonably confident the "skipping a foreign harbor" will be a temporary measure. Because if it is permanently eliminated, the next step will be to dramatically change the tax and labor law schema for the cruise industry, which they will do anything to avoid.

• Mike K. likes this

#2603 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:51 AM

...and the irony is that the original intent of the Jones Act is that it didn’t protect the ship building industry in the first place. It just forced the industry to come up with a work around.

Another case of governmental legislation that was ill conceived.
  • lanforod and A Girl is No one like this

#2604 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:57 AM

it came in when ships did not easily travel long distances I suppose. and certainly before labour and wage laws.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2021 - 11:58 AM.

#2605 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:00 PM

Certain council members of the COV are rubbing their little hands together in glee at this development.....

#2606 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

^Not to mention the cruise ship-hating people on the James Bay Neighbourhood Association.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

Colwood wouldn’t mind a little bit of cruise ship business, I’m sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

WTH would cruise ship passengers do in Colwood?

• Matt R. likes this

#2609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

What do they do in Victoria? Or Ketchikan? Or Juneau? Or Campbell River or Nanaimo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2610 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

Shop, go to restaurants, visit the RBCM, tour the legislature, stroll through Chinatown, have tea at the Empress, visit Craigdarroch Castle. There's a lot to see and do, without having to take organized tours. As a cruise ship passenger, this has a lot of appeal.

• Matt R. likes this

#2611 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

Excursions are a very important profit center for the cruise industry. Victoria has better excursions than the other ports on Alaskan cruises. The cruise ships will want to come back to Victoria, because it is profitable for them.

• Nparker likes this

#2612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:49 PM

Shop, go to restaurants, visit the RBCM, tour the legislature, stroll through Chinatown, have tea at the Empress, visit Craigdarroch Castle. There's a lot to see and do, without having to take organized tours. As a cruise ship passenger, this has a lot of appeal.

90% of people hop on a coach when they walk off the cruise ship at Ogden Point. And just about anything is more welcoming than Ogden Point.

I can also see the Colwood ferry being a popular way to get to downtown Victoria.

Know it all.

#2613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

plus that gondola ride.
  • Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#2614 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:02 PM

90% of people hop on a coach when they walk off the cruise ship at Ogden Point. And just about anything is more welcoming than Ogden Point.

I can also see the Colwood ferry being a popular way to get to downtown Victoria.

Not going to happen.

#2615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

Oh I just think it might.

Know it all.

#2616 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

I think it might as well, Mike. Colwood is growing like stink, and a service like this would be very attractive. Almost as much as a train into town.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2617 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

Oh I just think it might.

I don't think the Colwood Crawl Excursion is going to be a big seller...

• Nparker likes this

#2618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 03:39 PM

I don’t think so either, but I’m confident highway improvements will keep on being made in this region.

The irony is, though, that the travel time to Butchart is shorter from Royal Bay than from Ogden Point.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#2619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

maybe the cruise ships can just dock at Butchart Gardens?

or the Brentwood Bay ferry dock?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2021 - 03:41 PM.

#2620 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 25 May 2021 - 04:13 PM

Minimum depth at the Brentwood ferry dock is 6.8m at mean low water (MLW).  At Ogden Pt it is 10.8m at B-North and at least 13m at the other berths.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users