Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:57 AM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, the federal district court in Tampa delivered a major victory for Governor Ron DeSantis against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and its obstructionist No Sail Orders that have flatlined Florida’s cruise industry for over a year. Ruling in favor of Florida’s Motion for Preliminary Injunction, Judge Steven Merryday concluded the CDC’s restrictions are likely unconstitutional and overstepping their legal authority. The Cruise Industry will soon be permitted to set sail again thanks to the lawsuit brought by Governor DeSantis and Attorney General Moody. The state fought on behalf of the cruise industry in Florida to secure the ability to resume operations without overly burdensome requirements that discriminate against children, leave most of the ships sitting in port, and disregard the freedom of Floridians to make decisions for their families.

Beginning July 18, the CDC’s orders will become mere “guidance,” and cruise ships will hit the open waters once again free from the CDC. As Florida continues to thrive while open for business, the return of the cruise industry marks an important milestone in the fight for freedom.

https://www.flgov.co...ruise-industry/

the bill proposed by the senator from utah to permanently let cruise ships skip canadian ports does not seem to be gathering much steam (or support):

https://www.govtrack...bills/117/s1998

Edited by Mike K., 21 June 2021 - 09:20 AM.
Fixed GovTrack link.

#2662 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

My worry is because they haven't started the cruises yet, there's no context, so the bill is a bit premature. Once they start sailing and Seattle/Alaska give a verdict that could quickly change perceptions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2663 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:01 PM

I believe cruise ship companies will set their own requirements and if the gov interferes with that they will simply relocate their embarkation point.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2664 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:32 AM

so this sounds like some cruise lines are selling 2022 cruises that do not include Victoria.

https://www.timescol...-ban-1.24334298

Robertson said there is also growing frustration because of changing goalposts, noting at one point they were told a federal reopening plan would be unveiled when 75 per cent of Canadians had received one COVID-19 vaccine dose and more than 20 per cent had both doses.

“We’re there and still there’s no plan,” said Robertson. “In talking with the cruise lines over the last few weeks, there’s frustration there, too — they want certainty. It mystifies me that we’re getting no action out of Ottawa.”

The cruise lines have been selling Alaska cruises for both this year and next.

In some cases, next year’s itineraries include stops in Victoria.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 04:32 AM.

#2665 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:34 PM

nparker is considering leaving CoV.  

and likes cruising.

we have the answer:  https://my-njord.com/

It is billed as the “ultimate private superyacht” and also the “world’s largest private residence yacht”. Meet the M/Y Njord which is one of the largest superyachts ever made and promises to be the ultimate luxury travel home. In essence, it is a superyacht with no less than 117 private luxury residences onboard along with numerous amenities and luxuries reminiscent of a mobile luxury hotel. It will be the only residential yacht to offer 14 duplex and two triplex residences with private elevators while there would be walk-in cellars, cheese rooms, humidors, safe room, private gym, and more. It is no less than a 293-meter private luxury mansion on move and there would be bespoke luxury experiences taking into account the yacht’s trajectory. 

672e47_cfa961a2f7564831b3ed06eb3ecc7301~

https://www.upscalel...r-to-m-y-njord/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 02:38 PM.

• Nparker and todd like this

#2666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:53 PM

I don't get it. Is that like a cruise ship for passengers, or your own private yacht that you can rent out rooms in?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:56 PM

I don't get it. Is that like a cruise ship for passengers, or your own private yacht that you can rent out rooms in?

it's like that one that came here a few years ago.  you live there at least part of the year.  it's your home.

https://aboardtheworld.com/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 03:56 PM.

#2668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

Ah, I get you.

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#2669 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:17 PM

Note the helicopter pad at the bow,

#2670 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:44 PM

nparker is considering leaving CoV.  

and likes cruising.

we have the answer:  https://my-njord.com/

I am afraid my net worth falls just a wee bit short of what is required to buy into this lifestyle. I would if I could though.

#2671 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

Probably need to add two zeroes

#2672 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:13 AM

For those following this issue, the Feds will be making a cruise ship announcement later today at Ogden Point. Rob Fleming and others will be there. Speculation is they are easing restrictions.

#2673 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:28 AM

^you sure it’s a good idea to attend if you’re still fleming Rob?
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#2674 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:32 AM

do they really have to make a big performance of it? it’s a minor policy change.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2021 - 06:32 AM.

#2675 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

I am afraid my net worth falls just a wee bit short of what is required to buy into this lifestyle. I would if I could though.

Apparently the 'residences' are exclusively for environmentalists.

#2676 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 09:49 AM

We know that the maritime and tourism sectors have been hit hard by the global COVID-19 pandemic. As we reopen safely, we are already preparing for the upcoming cruise season that will help grow our economy.

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced that, as of November 1, 2021, the prohibition of cruise ships in Canadian waters would no longer be in effect if operators are able to fully comply with public health requirements.

As the outlook of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to improve, Canada looks forward to having a cruising season in 2022. The cruise ship industry, which represents more than $4 billion annual input into the Canadian economy and directly and indirectly generates approximately 30,000 jobs, is an important part of Canada's domestic tourism sector.

Transport Canada will continue to work with the Public Health Agency of Canada, other levels of government, the United States government, transportation industry stakeholders, Indigenous Peoples, and Arctic communities to help ensure Canadians and Canada's transportation system remain safe and secure.

https://www.newswire...-873472823.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2021 - 09:49 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

I wonder if this means the Clipper and Coho can resume operations?

#2678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:09 AM

Are those services not related to the border, more-so than the cruise ship restrictions?

Know it all.

#2679 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:14 AM

I am not sure, that's why I am asking.

#2680 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:12 AM

Ah, just in time for the Christmas cruising season.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users