Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2741 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:05 AM

The general public has no idea what the different levels of government are doing or not doing. Often actions need to be initially done quietly because of the political and other issues. The premier has stated that actions are taking place at the federal and provincial level.

Not seeing anything is not always a good reflection of reality. If you are concerned get involved..... contact your MP and MPP etc.

• Nparker likes this

#2742 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 10:09 AM

And remember, those cruise ship passengers are also being marketed to, during their stay in our port or sojourns into the city in whatever capacity they happen. People do return, sometimes years later, or on a subsequent cruise they vow to get off the ship after hearing about people’s experiences.

I’m not sure they’re getting the proper impression of Victoria?

“AS A RESULT OF NEWER, faster ships and an increase in ships using Seattle as a home port, Victoria has increasingly been used as a port by the cruise ship industry. The growth rate has been phenomenal. In 2002, Ogden Point was used 113 times by the cruise ship industry, bringing 160,000 passengers to Victoria. This was a huge jump from the 77 visits Victoria received in 2001, and the 34 visits in 1999. The 2003 season will include three ships carrying 6,000 passengers every Friday from May to September. This translates to 129 large ships stopping at Ogden Point, with an additional 40 visits from pocket cruise ships, carrying approximately 230,000 passengers”: https://georgiastrai...ple_effects.pdf

Edited by todd, 09 October 2021 - 10:17 AM.

#2743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:38 AM

The general public has no idea what the different levels of government are doing or not doing. Often actions need to be initially done quietly because of the political and other issues. The premier has stated that actions are taking place at the federal and provincial level.
Not seeing anything is not always a good reflection of reality. If you are concerned get involved..... contact your MP and MPP etc.

Well, the US general public has a very good idea what their politicians are doing, and their politicians are also telling Canadians what they are doing by writing to the Vancouver Sun with an exact description of their plan of attack and the motivations behind it.

I’m not sure, therefore, why Canada is subscribing to an agenda bound by silence or gentle whispers of behind the scenes negotiations, if that is indeed what they're doing. But then again they also publicly rebuffed and scoffed at the potentiality of the current situation that allows for the bypass of Canadian ports, so who knows if publicly they want to say little after eating crow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

the opinion piece says that it might take a few years for ships to stop coming.  i doubt it.  i think they will pass us by from day #1.  contracts for fuel and provisions at their current home ports might stop them from shifting away from Vancouver and Seattle right away.   But they can dump Victoria any time, surely.

it would be interesting to know more about the economics of cruising though.  i can't see why the ships would even depart Vancouver and Seattle if they can just home port in Alaska.  the fuel savings would likely offset the higher food costs.  maybe that's unrealistic to expect that many more flights to alaska though.  

it looks like juneau only has flights from seattle.  anchorage has flights to about 15 US below-49th cities though.  the anchorage dock (whittier) is an hour away though.

there is a website somewhere though that says the bill currently has a 1% chance of becoming law.  but that same website does not give any bill a higher rating than 7% - the same chances for any bill becoming law.  so it's a bit hard to read.

On a daily basis, the average cruise ship uses around 140-150 tonnes of fuel, or 30 to 50 gallons per mile. Like vehicle travel, hitting higher speeds increases drag which results in more fuel usage. 

https://www.cruise1s...uise-ships-use/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 October 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#2745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

kind of sloppy reportin’ here:

More than 70 per cent of annual income is from cruise tariffs and sustainability fees, while the remaining 30 per cent is derived from tourism-related activities.

The organization extended support to its commercial customers through rent deferral in the Canadian Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program – funding that reduced customer rent payments by 75 per cent.

https://www.vicnews....n-revenue-loss/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 October 2021 - 01:36 PM.

#2746 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

A4E28F00-AB91-48B4-8555-B27977307B23.jpeg

#2747 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:56 PM

I do know that Alaska cruises for 2022 are including Victoria as per normal scheduling. Now, that’s subject to change by pretty much every cruise line. Travel agents do think Victoria is a draw. I think we may lose some but not all. Half? Not sure.
  • todd likes this

#2748 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:03 AM

I suspect if the law is changed that we are likely to lose close to 90%. Dealing with customs, passports and now covid rules and testing is far too much hassle for most companies, 

#2749 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:05 AM

I think one way we can deal with it is to not require all passengers to have a passport - only need one if they get off to visit in Victoria. I'm not sure if that is already the case or not. 

Then the onus would be on the GVHA and Canada border controls to check passports, go through customs. It does not need to be onerous. Don't have a passport? Yes, you can cruise, just can't get off the ship in Victoria.

• todd likes this

#2750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

Travel agents do think Victoria is a draw. I think we may lose some but not all. Half? Not sure.

then why do nearly none of the Vancouver home-port departures come here on the way back?  NONE of the regularly weekly ones do.

#2751 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:09 AM

I suspect if the law is changed that we are likely to lose close to 90%. Dealing with customs, passports and now covid rules and testing is far too much hassle for most companies, 

The other big issue is the requirement for a PCR test. The US only requires an antigen test which is 1/3 the price and can be done in minutes. The extra $100-$150 for folks and the requirement to plan 2-3 days in advance will be a big deterrent. 

#2752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

Cruise is done, if vessels are not forced to stop. The stop in Victoria is a financial liability for the operators.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2753 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

I think one way we can deal with it is to not require all passengers to have a passport - only need one if they get off to visit in Victoria. I'm not sure if that is already the case or not. 

Then the onus would be on the GVHA and Canada border controls to check passports, go through customs. It does not need to be onerous. Don't have a passport? Yes, you can cruise, just can't get off the ship in Victoria.

The lineups to process 3,000 people at Ogden point would use up half of the shore time!

• Barrrister likes this

#2754 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:12 AM

Covid test issues are temporary. Ignore that aspect of it when talking long term.

• Nparker likes this

#2755 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Cruise is done, if vessels are not forced to stop. The stop in Victoria is a financial liability for the operators.

Do you have a source for that?

#2756 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ that's what killed the Clipper likely.  that test is not cheap and is not available for free for Washington State residents, where they want one for travel.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 October 2021 - 08:13 AM.

#2757 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

The lineups to process 3,000 people at Ogden point would use up half of the shore time!

Could be. But that is how it's done for many cruises.

#2758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:44 AM

Do you have a source for that?

Yes, only vessels forced to stop in Victoria stop here. Vancouver departures do not, but they so easily could given the fact all passengers already have passports.

Cruise lines focus on ports where they control or profit from on-shore assets.

Know it all.

#2759 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:35 AM

Travel agents do think Victoria is a draw. I think we may lose some but not all. Half? Not sure.

As we know from Campbell River they won’t come just because it’s there. Victoria is quirky more so than Seattle, Vancouver or CR. Most people want to see Alaska because it is quirky?

Edited by todd, 13 October 2021 - 09:38 AM.

#2760 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:50 AM

Cruises out of Vancouver don't stop here because it would be illogical for the ships to go right past Vancouver at the end of the cruise, and head southeast to reach Victoria. Can't do that on a 7-day trip.

As for Victoria, it is my opinion that this is a very popular choice for a stop on the Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise. To Americans who aren't well travelled, Victoria is exotic...a foreign country, taste of European style. It's also a convenient stop, since the ships have to pretty much pass right by. Changing the law would affect the cruise stops, but nothing like 90%.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users