Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#2901 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:22 PM

What many seem to forget is that being vaccinated doesn't stop one from carrying this corona virus. Like all vaccines, it allows one's body to fight the effects of the virus. 

It is entirely possible that people will test positive for the COVID-19 virus for years after the pandemic is declared over - assuming governments are ever willing to say this if it means giving up the power the pandemic has given them.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#2902 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 05:27 PM

It is fairly certain that covid is with is for the long haul like the flu.  I do not see that the flue or covid actions in general gave any unreasonable extra power or control over me other than trying to get things back to a safer normal and generally protecting the majority of people who agree with most of their restrictions..

However if you believe all government decisions are mostly based upon increasing power and control you may have along wait until you are happy with what governments do at the local or national level.

#2903 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 05:30 PM

But you can go to a rock show without showing your flu shot papers.

Hopefully that’s what COVID turns into eventually, just a bad flu, and not something far worse.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2904 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 05:31 PM

...However if you believe all government decisions are mostly based upon increasing power and control you may have along wait until you are happy with what governments do at the local or national level.

If you don't believe this, you have my deepest sympathies.

#2905 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 06:45 PM

No sympathy required. Just trying to get a clarification of some fundamental beliefs that affect our actions and comments.

How would you suggest that we be governed in Canada? What alternatives do you suggest to the current systems? Can you give any examples close to how you think things should or could work?

• todd likes this

#2906 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 07:16 PM

Not going to take this thread any further off topic.

#2907 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:17 PM

Would be a lot easier to take Canada seriously if it wasn’t for the monarchy/a monarchy?

Or can we not trust the Canadian population under its current system?

Edited by todd, 20 December 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#2908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:36 AM

The City of Victoria’s plan to change the route and drop-off spot for shuttle buses bringing thousands of cruise-ship passengers downtown will hurt lower Government Street businesses, say several merchants.

Theresa Palmer, who operates the Out of Ireland retail shop, said changing the buses’ traditional route from Ogden Point past the legislature, Empress Hotel and Inner Harbour will also leave a less-than-favourable first impression on cruise passengers, who often return to the city for holidays on their own.

The shuttle buses usually drive past all of those attractions before unloading at Government and Fort streets.

However, the lower three blocks of Government street are now open to pedestrian traffic only, with timed openings for vehicles to make deliveries and service calls in the mornings.

The move was a pandemic measure, but the city wants to keep it that way. So the city and Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, which operates the passenger buses, have rerouted and moved the drop-off a block north of Bay Centre.

https://www.timescol...ypassed-5038820

#2909 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:27 AM

When you see hard working, successful Victoria business owners being wronged by the bunch of political leeches occupying chambers at City Hall ... it really makes one wonder whether we'll actually make it to the next civic election before the current crop of councillors completely destroys downtown businesses with their unique combination of supporting (and encouraging) crime and criminals ... all while completely failing to  support local business owners.

• Nparker, DavidSchell, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#2910 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:53 AM

It certainly is a bit head-scratching.  

It's also a poor reflection of where we are today that some businesses interviewed have to play the First Nations card to try to help have the city see it their way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 February 2022 - 06:56 AM.

#2911 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:16 AM

^ Problem is that the Bay Centre gets 80% of its revenue from tourists and they have much more influence at City Hall then a bunch of Government St retailers that the elites could care less about. After all, if they all go out of business there are lots of others to replace them right?!

#2912 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 08:48 AM

I dont understand why they dont drop the tourists off at the front of the Empress. Also unless we remove the testing requirements for entry into Canada it looks like the US might simply allow direct routes to Alaska. 

#2913 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:07 AM

^ Travelers arriving by boat have been exempted from pre-arrival testing but I don't know if boat also means cruise ship. If not then I agree that pre-arrival testing will be an issue and people are starting to book summer cruises now.

https://travel.gc.ca...entering-canada

#2914 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:38 AM

Re: cruise ship shuttles,

Why don't they repurpose the V2V and shuttle passengers to the inner harbor, incorporating a harbor tour at the same time.

I think there is a boat-based solution to this issue.

Great for tourists, less traffic/noise thru James Bay, and downtown businesses happy.

#2915 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:43 AM

Why don't they repurpose the V2V and shuttle passengers to the inner harbor, incorporating a harbor tour at the same time.

Great for tourists, less traffic/noise thru James Bay, and downtown businesses happy.

There's no way that's economically feasible.  

#2916 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:47 AM

...Why don't they repurpose the V2V and shuttle passengers to the inner harbor, incorporating a harbor tour at the same time...

Cruise ships could use their own tenders for this if it was something anyone really wanted to pursue.

#2917 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:47 AM

If Govt St businesses are saying this shuttle proposal will be the death of them, then a quick cost/benefit analysis could reveal the cost of boat shuttle solution is more than made up by saving and growing businesses along Govt St.

#2918 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:25 AM

If Govt St businesses are saying this shuttle proposal will be the death of them, then a quick cost/benefit analysis could reveal the cost of boat shuttle solution is more than made up by saving and growing businesses along Govt St.

I think more broadly they are worried that a repeat of last year's big poop laden picnic tables planted in the middle of the street (you know just like they have in Amsterdam and Paris) might detract from the ambience of the shopping experience. 

The progressives just want cars and tacky shops gone so they can be replaced with stores like Prada and Burberry and European style cafes and delis with wonderful walkways and lighting.

#2919 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:35 AM

They tried a boat once, with Harbour Ferries.  It did not work out I guess.

#2920 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:15 AM

The progressives just want cars and tacky shops gone so they can be replaced with stores like Prada and Burberry and European style cafes and delis with wonderful walkways and lighting.

Who wouldn't want that?  

Also, finally read the article. Some random thoughts:   

• is this really a big deal? the tourists are dropped 2 blocks further down on the same street? The merchants seriously think they're gonna lose 75% of their business because people are dropped 2 blocks away? 
  • The far bigger deal about all this is returning View Street to two-way traffic. WHAT?? Are they gonna relax the "no left turn" rules at blanshard and view to accommodate this?
  • I feel so bad for those poor baristas at starbucks. Their lives are gonna be hell in the summers if this happens. 
  • I think a far better solution would be to take them along wharf street and drop them at the parking lot below bastion square (but that would require the installation of elevators or escalators which I think is probably a good idea anyway). 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users