Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#121 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

This just hurts the JBNEA's credibility. They are a laughing stock.

I used to live in JB and never found the terminals to be a problem. You don't like the cruise ships, then leave.

#122 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

I think I would enjoy watching the cruise ships coming and going.

I do enjoy watching the cruise ships come and go and often go down to James Bay in the summer time on my obnoxious motorcycle to take a look at the ships and the beautiful views. I'm sure the JBNEA loves me!

They ships are very impressive though.

#123 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

The cruise ships are only here for 7 months of the year, so I don't think Victorians should complain to loudly about the pros and cons of their presence, or they will find another location to make their mandatory port of call in Canada.

Port Alberni has been suggested as a stop over in the past.

I wonder what the chances of the laws being amended so that foreign ships are not required to stop here at all? See the Jones Act and Cabotage Laws.

http://www.cruiseco....es/cabotage.htm

http://www.cruiseco....s/jones_act.htm

The acts will not be changed because it would be a political disaster in the US. It is only an issue for the Alaska cruises and no where else. Meanwhile no cruise line is going to use American ships. The status quo is going to remain for the foreseeable future

#124 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

I had Brian Scarfe as an Economics prof at UVic. Boy-o-boy is he an awful teacher...90% of the class didn't even show up. His lectures were so far beyond unbearable I can't even begin to describe them...

When I found out he was a James Bay resident all thoughts of an unbiased report went out the window.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#125 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Dockside Green is a location that could have made use of the E&N for movement of goods. I could have also offered the desperately needed warehouse space in this region.

There is no more pressing need in this region than industrial. Ogden Point is zoned industrial but has not been made available for new users. The thoughts of the Harbour Authority have been moving towards rezoning and that is a major problem.

You keep insisting that we have a desparate need for warehouse space and insustrial land but I just don't see the demand.

There is lots of vacant industrial/warehouse space looking for tenents after a quick real estate search. As well as Keating X road area that has lots of room if you get rid of a few NIMBYs there.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

...no cruise line is going to use American (flagged) ships...

Norwegian tried that in Hawaii and lost a ton of money.:(

#127 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

All types of transportation services, including shuttle buses, pedicabs, limousines, and horse-drawn trolleys, pay a fee to go to Ogden Point for cruise passengers, she said.

The fees are invested back into Ogden Point toward safety improvements, such as signage, Ross said.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1JKNkUJgx

$200 per year per cab? I wonder what more signage they can put up there? Will this be the new Picadilly Circus or Times Square?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#128 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Cabbies boycott cruise-ship terminal

Victoria taxi companies want reduced fees at Ogden Point

By Carla Wilson, Timescolonist.com April 15, 2011

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1JKOqP5zH

I have watched the crowds of passengers disembark at Ogden Point and have wondered how easy it would be to operate a discrete gypsy cab service shuttling tourists downtown at five bucks a head--how much you could make in a day and how long before you were caught.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#129 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Here is a novel idea.

Plug the rascals into the grid like they do in San Fransisco.

http://www.timescolo...3810/story.html

#130 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

If we could convert all the hot air rising out of James Bay into energy we wouldn't have to worry about putting in some plugs at Ogden Point :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#131 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Being a home port would mean moving people from the airport to the terminal which would also be through James Bay. Perhaps we need to build a tunnel under James Bay.

Build for the future! A 4-lane freeway with overpasses is the way to go. The overpasses eliminate the need for demolishing houses, not to mention they keep rain off some of those lovely heritage homes.:D

#132 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

^ You mean more of these? :)

#133 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

^ You mean more of these? :)

That's a start! ;)

#134 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Here is a novel idea.

Plug the rascals into the grid like they do in San Fransisco.

http://www.timescolo...3810/story.html

I think Vancouver just upgraded their terminal to do this.

#135 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

Cruise tourism needs better management

Governments, harbour authority must work harder to benefit Victoria

Brian Scarfe
Times Colonist
May 11, 2011

The cruise ship industry and the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority continue to pretend that cruise ship calls generate a regional economic impact of $150 million to $200 million per year, while ignoring social and environmental costs.

This pretense has been refuted in my report: Victoria as a Port-of-Call: the Costs and Benefits of Cruise Ship Visits, accessible on www.jbna.org.

On average, each cruise ship call in Victoria generates an economic impact of not more than $237,000, when cruise ship, passenger and crew expenditures are combined.

This amounts to just under $50 million for a 210-cruise-ship season, or about five per cent of the total economic impact of Victoria's tourist industry. This number may well be an over-estimate, because 134 of the 210 cruise ship calls this season are evening-only calls of under six hours' duration. Moreover, costs offset this economic impact measure.

Read more:
http://www2.canada.c...ac-6fe102afd704
:)

#136 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

Local: The City of Victoria should use the powers granted to it under the Community Charter to regulate GVHA's Ogden Point activities through performance based zoning or other measures.

I am curious, what does that mean? I sort of have an idea what performance based zoning could be, but I fail to understand how it might apply in this case. I thought the idea of performance based zoning was to allow for more flexibility and trust the developer to meet some targets as set out by the City in their own way with no oversight of how the targets are reached by local government?

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

The Radiance of the Seas is going to be doing Dry Dock in Victoria from May 20 until June 10. Most of her 800+ crew will also be here.

http://en.wikipedia....nce_of_the_Seas

http://www.royalcari...=RD&shipCode=RD
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#138 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

...and socio-environmental costs (about $28 million), including health-care costs (from airshed emissions and noise), property value losses...

Remind me, which James Bay properties have gone down in value over the last 20-30 years?

So they're saying property values in James Bay should actually be much higher than they are right now?

#139 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

...and socio-environmental costs (about $28 million), including health-care costs (from airshed emissions and noise), property value losses...

Noise? Causing health-care issues?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#140 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Strokes. People in James Bay are dropping left and right. Didn't you read that scientific study?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users