Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1781 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

Last chance of the season today to see the massive Norwegian Bliss, currently off Sidney and arriving some time this morning (conflicting reports) with the potential for 4250 passengers. Although i doubt it's a full load this late in the season.

#1782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

i think they might have ways to make sure pretty much sailing is full.   last-minute discounts etc and deals to wholesalers.

#1783 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

I think the Bliss is on a short coastal cruise that stops in Victoria, SFO and ends in Los Angeles. There were probably some screaming cheap deals to be had. It's perfect for the person who wonders whether they would like cruising. Gives them a taste on a short cruise.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

...It's perfect for the person who wonders whether they would like cruising. Gives them a taste on a short cruise.

That's how I started my life aboard cruise ships 20+ years ago, only it was a 3 day Caribbean cruise that I did in conjunction with a visit to various locales in Florida including Disneyworld and Busch Gardens. Aaaahhh...to be young again.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#1785 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:28 AM

I think the Bliss is on a short coastal cruise that stops in Victoria, SFO and ends in Los Angeles. There were probably some screaming cheap deals to be had. It's perfect for the person who wonders whether they would like cruising. Gives them a taste on a short cruise.

Yup, short hop down to LA where it will switch over to a month of LA-Mexico service before doing Caribbean routes through the winter. It's supposed to be back doing the Alaska route in the late spring.

This particular journey started in Vancouver. It had to leave at 4am today in order to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. That would have been quite a sight!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1786 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

It had to leave at 4am today in order to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. That would have been quite a sight!

Watch here.

https://globalnews.c...es-in-vancouver

• Jackerbie likes this

#1787 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

A few photos today to add those already presented...

IMG_2520_LR.jpg

IMG_2522_LR.jpg

IMG_2524_LR.jpg

IMG_2526_LR.jpg

IMG_2527_LR.jpg

IMG_2528_LR.jpg

• Nparker, rjag and todd like this

#1788 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

Rodent gates on the guylines:

IMG_2532_LR.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1789 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Rodent gates on the guylines:

Do rodents need to show a SeaPass card as they pass through the gates?  :lol:

• JanionGuy likes this

#1790 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

One of the 'coolest' things I saw when I toured it was the Snow room, which had a snowmaker in it. It was located in the spa and guests could hit the snow room zip right next door to the sauna or into the spa pool.

• Nparker likes this

#1791 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Good to see that Wyland is still painting his whales.  Our Whale Wall that he did back in 1987 is pretty much in a state of needing to be replaced.  I know Wyland only touches up his murals once. That is his rule, and he already touched up our whale wall back in the early 90's.  I got to meet him and got on the news with him as a kid.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 08 October 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#1792 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

Rodent gates on the guylines

Rat guards on the hawsers.

• Bernard likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1793 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

Rat guards on the hawsers.

To prevent the rats from coming ashore.

#1794 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Maybe BC ferries should look into using those at Swartz Bay.

#1795 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

To prevent the rats from coming ashore.

I thought they were there for the other way around, to stop rats boarding the ship.    Any rats from a ship would not be noticed in this city given the current huge population

#1796 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

Yup, short hop down to LA where it will switch over to a month of LA-Mexico service before doing Caribbean routes through the winter. It's supposed to be back doing the Alaska route in the late spring.

This particular journey started in Vancouver. It had to leave at 4am today in order to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. That would have been quite a sight!

Vancouver is getting jittery about cruise ship competition from Seattle in particular; due to the vessel height restrictions imposed by the LGB there is semi-serious talk now about moving the cruise terminal from Canada Harbour Place to somewhere outside of Vancouver harbour proper where the bridge does not come into play. Options for such a development would be very limited naturally, so it will be interesting to see what formal proposals emerge, if any.

#1797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Any chance Victoria might end up becoming a home port for a vessel or two?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

make a berth near the airport. makes sense for both passenger traffic and replenishment of vessels closer to suppliers.

#1799 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Both Richmond and Delta are potential possibilities however its all very preliminary at this point; a mega terminal near the airport is one possibility as is a similar facility as part of an already-planned port infrastructure upgrade at Point Roberts, or conversely a completely brand new terminal purpose built from scratch elsewhere.

Canada Place became utterly problematic after the Port shut down Ballantyne Pier in 2014. Its been on borrowed time ever since particularly when you consider the massive investments in their cruise facilities by cities like Seattle, Miami, Ft Lauderdale etc.

Can't see Victoria ever being a home port for anything: remember we're a 'cruise port' only because of the Jones Act. If the US Congress ever repeals it as they've threatened to do periodically in recent years, Victoria would be as good as done as there is no good reason otherwise for those ships to come here. Besides when reviewing cruise facilities we have little more than a glorified warehouse and a cheesy little gift shop to offer up, which obviously pales into insignificance compared to anywhere else.....

#1800 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

Can't see Victoria ever being a home port for anything: remember we're a 'cruise port' only because of the Jones Act. If the US Congress ever repeals it as they've threatened to do periodically in recent years, Victoria would be as good as done as there is no good reason otherwise for those ships to come here. Besides when reviewing cruise facilities we have little more than a glorified warehouse and a cheesy little gift shop to offer up, which obviously pales into insignificance compared to anywhere else.....

It would not surprise me if the US Supreme Court doesn't get their teeth in the Jones Act in 2019

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users