Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1841 LJ

LJ
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:13 PM

For cruising I'll take RCCL over stuffy Cunard every time :)

I was on a Cunard cruise once and for dinner I wore a turtleneck sweater and they told me I couldn't dine without a tie. Meanwhile a guy in scruffy bluejeans and runners gets in because he has a tie on. :whyme:

• sebberry and todd like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1842 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

I was on a Cunard cruise once and for dinner I wore a turtleneck sweater and they told me I couldn't dine without a tie. Meanwhile a guy in scruffy bluejeans and runners gets in because he has a tie on. :whyme:

Cunard-White Star must still be concerned about their image after that little mishap in 1912.

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1843 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

The trick with Cunard is to book a duplex, that way you can eat in your room.

Matt.

#1844 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

It’s amazing how a massive vessel can look so small next to something like Ovation of the Seas. I hopped down to Ogden Point today and the size difference was pronounced.

It's almost double the gross tonnage (91,000 vs 169,000)

#1845 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Cunard-White Star must still be concerned about their image after that little mishap in 1912.

At the time of the mishap the Titanic wasn't a Cunard ship and White Star wasn't part of Cunard.

• todd likes this

#1846 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

I was also struck by the size difference although the "Oasis" and her sisters are the third largest class of cruise ships in existence so I suppose it should have come as no surprise. More interestingly to me I just assumed all the Cunard ships were classed as ocean liners but isn't the case, technically, with QE as she apparently lacks the heavier hull plating throughout the entire length of the hull. Rather only the bow sports the heavier steel in order to plow through the North Atlantic....

#1847 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

I was also struck by the size difference although the "Oasis" and her sisters are the third largest class of cruise ships in existence so I suppose it should have come as no surprise. More interestingly to me I just assumed all the Cunard ships were classed as ocean liners but isn't the case, technically, with QE as she apparently lacks the heavier hull plating throughout the entire length of the hull. Rather only the bow sports the heavier steel in order to plow through the North Atlantic....

QE and Q. Victoria are both based on a hybrid of the Vista class cruise ship design.

There is only one ship in the world  I would want to be on when crossing the North Atlantic.

Edited by SimonH, 31 May 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#1848 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

that new titanic?

#1849 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

102-0224_IMG.JPG

• todd likes this

#1850 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

Queen Mary 2 was intended for routine crossings of the Atlantic Ocean, and was therefore designed differently from many other passenger ships...having been designed as an ocean liner, she required 40% more steel than a standard cruise ship. Queen Mary 2 has a maximum speed of just over 30 knots and a cruising speed of 26 knots, much faster than a contemporary cruise ship. Instead of the diesel-electric configuration found on many ships, Queen Mary 2 uses integrated electric propulsion to achieve her top speed. Diesel engines, augmented by gas turbines, are used to generate electricity for electric motors for propulsion and for on-board use...While the hull of a cruise ship will typically have a block coefficient of 0.73 (1.0 would represent a rectangular block) Queen Mary 2 is more fine-lined, with a block coefficient of 0.61...

https://en.wikipedia...MS_Queen_Mary_2

• jonny likes this

#1851 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

An almost local makes it to the cruising big league: https://vancouversun...jor-cruise-ship

• Mike K. likes this

#1852 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

Two boats of full of tourists missed a chance to dock in Victoria this week thanks to wind gusts of as high as 33 kilometres per hour.

Two ship calls – The Star Princess, from Bermuda, and the Norwegian Bliss – were cancelled Saturday night, making the difficult decision to leave Victoria before they even arrived.

https://www.goldstre..._medium=twitter

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#1853 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Are we sure it wasn't 33 knots?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1854 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

https://twitter.com/...695467806515200

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 June 2019 - 06:00 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1855 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Which one is the Coho?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1856 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

the massive one in the foreground.

#1857 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:12 AM

Here's some interesting info I received from Expedia Cruise Ship Centers today:

We are pleased to announce that Expedia CruiseShipCenters has an exclusive opportunity for those living on Vancouver Island. For the first time...you can start and end your cruise right here in Victoria! We have four Alaska sailings in 2020 where you can board your Alaska adventure at Ogden Point in Victoria and after your cruise simply disembark in Victoria as well! How exciting!!! There are only four sailings and limited staterooms available. You will want to pre-register today...

• AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#1858 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

/\...Nice. We were just talking about an Alaska cruise a few days ago. I wonder which line? Guessing either Holland America or NCL....

#1859 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

wow that's neat.  this would perhaps be a longer-than-7-days cruise if it docks twice here?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 July 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#1860 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

/\...Nice. We were just talking about an Alaska cruise a few days ago. I wonder which line? Guessing either Holland America or NCL....

wow that's neat.  this would perhaps be a longer-than-7-days cruise if it docks twice here?

If anyone is seriously interested, I can send them the link I received in my email.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users