Photo

Victoria Rapid Transit Project - CRD/BC Transit - Light Rail (LRT) has been recommended

• Please log in to reply
1311 replies to this topic

#1181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

The City of Langford is hoping a new high-end bus service will make the dreaded "Colwood Crawl" a little more bearable for rush hour commuters.

The taxpayer-subsidized Langtoria Greenline will be launched sometime in October and will run between Langford and downtown Victoria, the city said Tuesday.

Langford Mayor Stew Young said the service came about in anticipation of a new interchange that’ll be built on the Trans-Canada Highway at McKenzie Avenue.

http://vancouverisla...toria-1.3080865

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1182 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

Ah langford doing actual concrete things for commuters because the city of Victoria is incompetent

#1183 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Victoria does not equal BC Transit... just so you know. BC Transit equals the province... who created the entire situation to begin with by not spending money on the CRD.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1184 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

Well I'd be willing to bet money the BC transit people prefer dealing with a Stew Young over a Lisa Helps

#1185 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

There is no "money the the BC Transit people prefer" in regards to Victoria. It's a "BC" TRANSIT area. All funded by the province. No prefrench of city. Just like Cowichan Bay Transit has not a thing to do with Duncan.

Please get out of your suburban fog.
  • Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#1186 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

^The City of Langford is subsidizing the bus service so it is not a BC Transit project. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

^The City of Langford is subsidizing the bus service so it is not a BC Transit project. 

No but the taxpayers of Langford are already paying for BC Transit to their area. 

#1188 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

^True, my point was RFS was correct in saying the City of Langford was doing something concrete for commuters.

#1189 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

The quote was:

"Today, 07:07 PM
Well I'd be willing to bet money the BC transit people prefer dealing with a Stew Young over a Lisa Helps"

Not a dang thing to do with Langford and a attempted slam to Victoria... whichave has no control over transit.... unfortunately.

#1190 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Oh my. There must be a full moon tonight. I was referring to post #1183.

#1191 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:58 PM

^not the city of Victoria or Langford responsibility to backfill this shite show.

#1192 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Oh my. There must be a full moon tonight. I was referring to post #1183.

Gee... sorry I only saw one ^. Answer is the same regardless of "which" post you intended. S@rt@ss full moon commnent? Come on!

#1193 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Oh my. There must be a full moon tonight.

That's what some of my friends say. It must be a full moon tonight.

#1194 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Oh btw... on mobile, no one knows what post #xxxx is. Mobile site doesn't show that. Some of us have ditched the old school tech.

#1195 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Oh btw... on mobile, no one knows what post #xxxx is. Mobile site doesn't show that. Some of us have ditched the old school tech.

Are you using a mobile/

#1196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:09 PM

Stops and departure times have not been finalized. However, the intent is to have three stops in Langford and stops perhaps at Uptown, and along the Douglas Street corridor near the downtown core before stopping at Capital City Station at Crystal Garden.

“Nothing is set in stone yet, and we need to gauge people’s interest,” said Warwick. “Initially we will do one run and as it progresses it may become multiple runs with one bus or multiple buses.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.dAlNX5l3.dpuf

I'm not sure about this.   If it only has 3 Langford stops, most riders have a car at their disposal (to park-and-ride).  I'm not sure that they don't just drive that in with friends/co-workers as they do now.

Many, if not most park-and-riders are very budget conscious, they do it because it's penny-pinching and they might have a discounted Pro-Pass that their employer pays a portion of.  A $100 Langtoria pass might not be right for most, especially when they are stuck on one trip time only, compared to every 10 minutes for the #50.

I predict fail, I'm afraid.  Private transit does not exist alongside public in North America in many jurisdictions, and certainly not in West Shore and Victoria.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1197 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

Worth a shot though.  At least this is action, as opposed to constant discussion.  Good on the community for providing another alternate to the car. 

#1198 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

Worth a shot though.  At least this is action, as opposed to constant discussion.  Good on the community for providing another alternate to the car. 

Agreed 100%.  I hope it works, it just looks tough.  Hey, I'd love the fact that it's the same driver every time I get on, he knows my name, I know his, and I get to know every passenger onboard, that would be a great commute.  A real sense of community.  But can we find 50 people that all agree on one set in time, and (I presume) one out time, out of downtown, and are willing to pay the $100?  I'm not sure.  Can we find an employer willing to pay the $100 per passenger.... Hmm, just maybe, right?

#1199 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Maybe it could be made part of the Pro-Pass system?

https://bctransit.co...a/fares/propass

Maybe the provincial government could also enhance this program during the interchange construction to get more in buses.

#1200 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

Private coach transit services only exist where there is a total lack of transit connections or an inadequate frequency. In NYC you'll see all sorts of private coaches lining up in the mornings and afternoons dropping off office workers from who knows where.

Down in Seattle Microsoft has free bus shuttles that connect Microsoft facilities with key park and rides and communities. They have a great setup down there, but again, I'm quite certain it's a free service for employees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)