BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#321 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

wall of fame?

21147654579_766ec32c36_b.jpg

21146358930_deb29e2ebf_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...th/21323761652/

#322 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

UVic’s Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA) has had an overwhelming amount of recreation usage and community support since it opened in May 2015. Barely one month into 2016, Vikes Athletics and Recreation are pleased to announce three partnerships in the new naming of CARSA’s RBC Blue and Gold Room, the UVic Alumni Association Spirit Section and the Ian and Gillian Stewart Varsity Weight Room.

http://ring.uvic.ca/...dents-athletics

#323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

The University of Victoria has confirmed it is seeking rezoning of its Queenswood property in Gordon Head for use as a research centre...."We can renovate it cheaper than building new on campus, so it becomes really a viable alternative to make use of an existing building rather than building something new on campus."...Kuran says he's hopeful they'll have the building renovated and ready for use by Oceans Network Canada researchers by April of 2018.

http://www.cfax1070....g-on-Queenswood

Edited by Nparker, 25 August 2016 - 01:12 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#324 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

The University of Victoria has confirmed it is seeking rezoning of its Queenswood property in Gordon Head for use as a research centre...."We can renovate it cheaper than building new on campus, so it becomes really a viable alternative to make use of an existing building rather than building something new on campus."...Kuran says he's hopeful they'll have the building renovated and ready for use by Oceans Network Canada researchers by April of 2018.

http://www.cfax1070....g-on-Queenswood

That's a beautiful location for something off-campus.

#325 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

What's the deal with CARSA Phase 2? Is that ever going to happen?

#326 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

First they gotta finish paying for phase 1...

Maybe in the 2020's some time, or perhaps if the province kicks in a bunch of money...

#327 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Can't recall...what was/is Phase 2 again?

#328 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

The replacement 50m swimming pool.

#329 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

First they gotta finish paying for phase 1...

Maybe in the 2020's some time, or perhaps if the province kicks in a bunch of money...

Huh. For some reason I thought (assumed I guess) it was closer to Phase 1.

Edited by jonny, 25 August 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#330 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

Huh. For some reason I thought (assumed I guess) it was closer to Phase 1.

It's not even on their list of priorities right now. Much more important stuff like more residences needed, and an expansion for Business.

#331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

Speaking of residences, are they moving forward on more housing any time soon?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#332 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:40 AM

The University of Victoria has received a major boost in its plans to relocate Ocean Networks Canada,

which conducts state-of the-art underwater research, from its base on the main campus to the Queenswood property on Arbutus Road.

The federal government said Tuesday that $3.1 million is being provided for the project, which could see ONC in renovated space on the six-hectare site by March 2018.

UVic is contributing $3.9 million to the effort to refurbish an existing 30,000-square-foot building on the property.

Plans call for the building, a former residential complex, to be turned into offices and research space.

The land was bought from the Sisters of St. Ann in 2010.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.07tZkKqt.dpuf

#333 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Speaking of residences, are they moving forward on more housing any time soon?

The lack of responses to Mike's question indicates the answer is "nada" or at least not known. The campus really does need to get moving on the issue of new residences. Suspect the main problem is less and less land being available and this region's well known aversion/hysteria to the obvious solution, i.e. building higher.

Was thinking about this as I recalled my days at UBC and having to live in Gage Towers (17 stories) for the first two months of class in 1987. I decided to see what they have to offer today - wow, there are some nice looking newer student residences these days including this one, which is the newest res on that campus:

http://vancouver.hou...rchard-commons/

#334 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

UVic has plenty of available land. They don't have money for new construction, and the grants are all going to exciting stuff like Ocean Networks.

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

UVic has plenty of available land. They don't have money for new construction, and the grants are all going to exciting stuff like Ocean Networks.

Do something innovative then, partner with SD61 and make some at Campus View School.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#336 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Actually they don't have as much as you think considering they need hundreds if not a couple of thousand units; they have fairly rigid guideline's for new building construction in terms of the "where", i.e. must be outside the ring, typically to the (north) and east of the campus, and cannot infringe on the lands to the south near Mystic Vale. Compared to other campuses they're actually quite restricted.

#337 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

From page 1 of this discussion:

campus.jpg

• tedward likes this

#338 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

UVic does have a new campus plan, but I don't think it has details like specific buildings that are needed or construction timelines. I've only browsed through it, but it's more about open spaces, grand promenades, sustainability concepts, cycling paths. There's a huge emphasis on mobility. It does mention that new construction will likely be on parking lots.

http://www.uvic.ca/c...2016reduced.pdf

Edited by jonny, 18 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#339 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

Are campus dormitories considered a thing of the past? If so, the municipalities should be looking at aggressive rezoning of the areas around Gordon Head's urban villages. Maybe not as dense as the 1962 plan above but it would be great to have a true "U District" like some other cites.

• jonny and thundergun like this

#340 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

yeah im actually surprised there isn't a lot more new condo developments around uvic/gordan head especially when you look at all the condos in the UEL area in vancouver
  • jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

MysticalWarrior